Subject Topic: 1.07 Patch Comments/Questions Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Exoseven
Hireling
Hireling

Posted: 04/29/2008 at 6:08pm | IP Logged Quote Exoseven

Hi everyone,

I want to update Dundjinni from 1.06 to 1.07, but I prefer to ask before I ran to any problems, here is my situation:

1-Dundjinni is not installed on my C: drive but on the G: drive.
2-On the G: partition, I don't see the "Fluid" folder, I see "Dundjinni" folder, maybe when I installed Dundjinni the first time I removed the "Fluid" folder…? Anyway, I see the "Fluid" Folder only in the "Startup" menu.
3-I updated to 1.06 later when it was made available and didn't have any problems.

Will the update work under the conditions above?

I read in the release notes of 1.07 patch that a minority of PC users have reported a problem when patching up to 1.07 - namely that art textures/objects become invisible after patching. If the problem occurs, there is no problem for me to reinstall Dundjinni and the art packs, but all the CSUAC arts folders I have installed have new arts that I have moved or added. So I just made a backup of all my folders. My concern is, I have a lot of uncompleted maps and don't want lose them, is it correct to assume that after I reinstalling my altered CSUAC folders it will restore my maps if this problems happens?
Back to Top View Exoseven's Profile Search for other posts by Exoseven

WayneFrancis
Janni (Moderator)
Janni (Moderator)

Posted: 04/29/2008 at 11:58pm | IP Logged Quote WayneFrancis

Hi Exoseven,
If you do a new complete install and reinstall your commercial artpack then move your user artwork into the same folder structure under Dundjinni then you should be fine. Artwork references are not absolute but relative to the "MAP" folder.
I'm not sure how you lost the "Fluid" level folder. I thought artwork was registered based on the installation directory but I could be wrong.
Back to Top View WayneFrancis's Profile Search for other posts by WayneFrancis

Kepli
Djinni (Admin)
Djinni (Admin)

Posted: 04/30/2008 at 3:45am | IP Logged Quote Kepli

Sounds like installing the complete v1.0.7 DJ version would be your best option. Then also download the v1.0.7 versions of all the packs you bought and install those (also the User Collections, since they are also in djx format.

Exoseven
Hireling
Hireling

Posted: 04/30/2008 at 4:48pm | IP Logged Quote Exoseven

Thank for the quick answers, I decided to try to update from the patch and it works fine with no problems. Thanks again .
Back to Top View Exoseven's Profile Search for other posts by Exoseven

mdono
Hero
Hero

Posted: 05/02/2008 at 9:33pm | IP Logged Quote mdono

I've been so busy with other things that I did not notice the patch until I saw the EULA change notice on enworld.

I'll download the patch and give it a go...

BTW, did y'all include the d20 logo I had originally put in the style sheet or has it been suitably replaced with an OGL logo?

How's everyone liking the Talismyr style sheet? Any suggestions for improvement?

Michael W. Donovan

"Specialization is for insects." -Lazarus Long, Time Enough For Love :Robert A. Heinlein
Back to Top View mdono's Profile Search for other posts by mdono Visit mdono's Homepage

mdono
Hero
Hero

Posted: 05/02/2008 at 9:50pm | IP Logged Quote mdono

I see the d20 logo selection is in the style sheet, as is the fluid logo.

I suggest that the Story requester d20 logo button be changed to OGL 3.5 (for now at least until the 4e final GSL is released) or removed entirely. I can make a nice OGL logo if an official one has not already been selected.

For a quick-fix, I'll substitute an OGL logo and will remove the Fluid logo.

Should have the changes available some time this weekend.

Michael W. Donovan

"Specialization is for insects." -Lazarus Long, Time Enough For Love :Robert A. Heinlein
Back to Top View mdono's Profile Search for other posts by mdono Visit mdono's Homepage

mdono
Hero
Hero

Posted: 05/03/2008 at 12:03am | IP Logged Quote mdono

Here's an OGL logo I just created that should be suitable:

I've made a couple of minor edits to correct the logo layout on the bottom of the title page, removed the Fluid logo, repaced the d20 logo with the OGL logo, and corrected the copyright date. I'll zip up and post the modifications late Saturday.

Michael W. Donovan

Wurm
Legend
Legend

Posted: 05/03/2008 at 9:40am | IP Logged Quote Wurm

mdono wrote:
I've been so busy with other things that I did not notice the patch until I saw the EULA change notice on enworld.

I'll download the patch and give it a go...

BTW, did y'all include the d20 logo I had originally put in the style sheet or has it been suitably replaced with an OGL logo?

How's everyone liking the Talismyr style sheet? Any suggestions for improvement?

Michael W. Donovan

I for one have always liked the Talismyr style sheet. It's truly the most attractive and usable of the style sheets. I also like that you're actively managing it, improving it, as witnessed by your effort to update the gaming license logo. BTW, based on the GSL faq on the Wizards web site, I don't expect to see a final version of the logo before 6 June when the GSL is released, and maybe not until well after that.

Even though the Talismyr style sheet is much better, I still find myself editing after publishing...usually to adjust the big graphic that can be selected for the first/title page. Additionally, when one doesn't select a graphic, it leaves a big empty space on the title sheet. Perhaps a way might be found to eliminate the square if not graphic is selected, and also to find a way to ensure that the graphic is centered within the square, and printed centered within the square?

Also, legally speaking, one cannot copyright a work just by putting the copyright notification on it. It must be registered. (IANAL, but my wife spent several years as an intellectual property rights paralegal. Not a lawyer, but she knows quite a bit about the issue.) Doesn't hurt anything to include it, and it shows an intention to protect the work, but nothing is final until the work is registered. It's also not entirely clear to me how to change the font or font size of the different sections of the output (absent bringing the sheet up in an html editor.) I don't know if there is a simple way to do that, but if so, that'd be nice. Not a requirement to have a fully functional form, but a "nice to have."

Also, I may be the only one, but I like the new encounter format that Wizards is using. I think it was first published in Expedition to Castle Ravenloft. It has the "fluff" part of the encounter separate from the "crunch" part of the encounter, with fairly detailed tactics section and a battlemap. Dunno if a style sheet could be developed to emulate that particular style, but I like it.

I went and found some additional information that I'd like to see associated with rooms or encounter areas (as 4e is going to address them).

Room Summary
Creatures:
Traps:
Terrain:
Lighting Conditions:
Magic:
Detectable Alignments:
Secrets:
Treasure:

Relevant Skill Checks
Climb DC 15: ((examples)) Climbing the statue requires a DC 15 Climb check. Note that a PC damaged while climbing must make another Climb check or fall.
Search DC 25: This result allows a PC to discover the secret door in the west wall or in the base of the statue. See the Room Summary sidebar for details about the secret door in the base of the statue.
Sense Motive DC Varies: The PCs might make Sense Motive checks to oppose Bluff checks by the succubus. Note that the first thing the succubus says when the PCs enter the room is entirely truthful.

The example skill checks are just things that can be included as information for the encounter associated with the map.

The new encounter template (from Expedition to Castle Ravenloft) includes at least:
Setup -- provides information about the encounter.
Tactics -- tactics associated with the creatures or traps in the encounter. Includes initial position of the creatures.
Development -- next steps after the encounter....
Features of the Area -- skill checks associated with different parts of the encounter area. There also can be other sidebars that provide rule summaries or specialized Skill DCs for specific circumstances.

Edited by Wurm on 05/03/2008 at 10:16am
Back to Top View Wurm's Profile Search for other posts by Wurm

mdono
Hero
Hero

Posted: 05/03/2008 at 10:59am | IP Logged Quote mdono

Wurm wrote:

Even though the Talismyr style sheet is much better, I still find myself editing after publishing...usually to adjust the big graphic that can be selected for the first/title page. Additionally, when one doesn't select a graphic, it leaves a big empty space on the title sheet. Perhaps a way might be found to eliminate the square if not graphic is selected, and also to find a way to ensure that the graphic is centered within the square, and printed centered within the square?

I'll see what I can do about that.

Wurm wrote:

Also, legally speaking, one cannot copyright a work just by putting the copyright notification on it. It must be registered.

Actually, this is not correct. I am also not a lawyer, but I have published a great deal that has been reviewed by some pretty high-priced corporate lawyers. The fact is that while you can register a copyrighted work, all works are considered copyright upon creation. Publication and/or registration is no longer required.

From the US copyright office: http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ1.html#hsc

How to Secure a Copyright
Copyright Secured Automatically upon Creation

The way in which copyright protection is secured is frequently misunderstood. No publication or registration or other action in the Copyright Office is required to secure copyright. (See following note.) There are, however, certain definite advantages to registration...

Wurm wrote:

It's also not entirely clear to me how to change the font or font size of the different sections of the output (absent bringing the sheet up in an html editor.) I don't know if there is a simple way to do that, but if so, that'd be nice. Not a requirement to have a fully functional form, but a "nice to have."

This can be done by editing Talismyr.css, the style sheet that holds most of the type style definitions. Be careful mucking with it, however, as adjusting font sizes can have some very odd paging effects on the document as a whole.

I will be adding some comments to the style sheet to help in this regard.

Wurm wrote:

Also, I may be the only one, but I like the new encounter format that Wizards is using. I think it was first published in Expedition to Castle Ravenloft. It has the "fluff" part of the encounter separate from the "crunch" part of the encounter, with fairly detailed tactics section and a battlemap. Dunno if a style sheet could be developed to emulate that particular style, but I like it.

I'll check it out.

Wurm wrote:

I went and found some additional information that I'd like to see associated with rooms or encounter areas...

The remainder of your suggestions are a tall order. Without access to the code that drives the DJ database, I may not be able to make all of those happen.

Thanks for your considerable input.

Michael W. Donovan

Wurm
Legend
Legend

Posted: 05/03/2008 at 6:48pm | IP Logged Quote Wurm

I expect that the room summary type of information or significant changes in the encounter format is something that would require modification of what DJ captures about rooms, so I really only put that out as one man's idea of what he might like to see from DJ to make it more useful to me. Maybe Mindy or Kepli or somebody might throw it in a file somewhere to look at for DJ 2.0. While I like the DJ's ease of use in making maps, I really like using it to make adventures. Given that Wizard's design philosophy about encounters is that they can and probably will include multiple areas, I wonder how DJ is going to handle that in the future...

I still add the copyright information even though I was under the impression that it wasn't really all that useful. Interesting that the what the Copyright Office puts out is different than what the practice is, at least here in Virginia, but, no matter, thanks. That's one of the reasons that I am not a lawyer.   

Back to Top View Wurm's Profile Search for other posts by Wurm

<< Prev Page of 13 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version