Subject Topic: EULA update Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Kepli
Djinni (Admin)
Djinni (Admin)

Posted: 03/21/2008 at 2:37am | IP Logged Quote Kepli

Hi all,

Mindy has given us all some excellent news about the EULA in the post about the release of the 1.0.7 Patch.

"The big non-technological change for this patch is the EULA. We’ve listened to your input – and, in response, have decided to open up DJ to commercial use!

In other words, you can create and publish maps and adventures using DJ, including DJ art. (The only exceptions are the SKG Dungeons and Reaper Warlords packs, since we only license those and thus do not have rights to allow such use.) In exchange for using DJ to create maps and adventures for commercial products, we simply request that you provide us with a credit.   For a more precise description of the commercial use allowed as well as the credit required, please see the EULA itself."

If you visit other forums and have seen people complain about the old DJ EULA, please post a link to this post or explain the changes. We think quite some people never use DJ because of the old EULA, so this might make them think about it again

Edited by Kepli on 03/21/2008 at 2:41am

slashdevnull
Djinni (Admin)
Djinni (Admin)

Posted: 03/21/2008 at 3:00am | IP Logged Quote slashdevnull

Another quick note: The EULA content on the website will be updated within the next few hours with the most recent version. I'll post a heads-up here when it's done.

slashdevnull
Djinni (Admin)
Djinni (Admin)

Posted: 03/21/2008 at 4:08am | IP Logged Quote slashdevnull

The new EULA has been posted. See the link at the bottom of any page on the site, or just go here: http://www.dundjinni.com/eula.htm .

Cecil
Janni (Moderator)
Janni (Moderator)

Posted: 03/23/2008 at 9:30am | IP Logged Quote Cecil

Thank you very much! This is very good news indeed!

Next question: Is there any option of purchasing the artpacks in PNG format as opposed to DJX?
Back to Top View Cecil's Profile Search for other posts by Cecil Visit Cecil's Homepage

heruca
Janni (Moderator)
Janni (Moderator)

Posted: 03/23/2008 at 9:47am | IP Logged Quote heruca

I'd imagine that CC3 users, Photoshop users, and virtual tabletop users
would all be interested in buying PNG artpacks.

The other question that would need addressing then would be "is it OK to
mod the PNGs"?

Kepli
Djinni (Admin)
Djinni (Admin)

Posted: 03/23/2008 at 10:46am | IP Logged Quote Kepli

Ouch, another big update question ...
I think that step is probably a bit too big atm.

It is something we have discussed before. There are consequences we have to take into account ... not an easy decission to make.

Edited by Kepli on 03/23/2008 at 10:49am

VarchildMarquee
Henchman
Henchman

Posted: 04/03/2008 at 4:29pm | IP Logged Quote VarchildMarquee

So the can of worms gets opened...

Taken from EULA:

2. License

Subject to the other requirements of this EULA (including but not limited to the Credit requirements of Section 8, as applicable), you are permitted to:
...(d) use the Software Product to create and publish printed or digital maps and adventures; this shall include the right to import artwork or graphics into the Software Product, export the output of the Software Product into one of the formats permitted by the Software Product's export functionality, create and print out maps and adventures for tabletop gaming, as well as post or otherwise make such maps and adventures available for download; provided that (i) the license afforded under this subsection shall NOT include the right to use the Software Product or its output as part of a computer or video game (whether computer or web-based), board game, or in books or products not related to tabletop gaming, and (ii) shall be contingent upon your compliance with the terms of this EULA,including but not limited to the provisions of Section 8 hereof.

Forgive me for being dense, but I'm confused by the wording of the EULA in regards to what can and can't be published. I know maps and adventures, but for what purposes?

It specifically prohibits computer and video games (would this include virtual tabletop environments? It specifies computer and web-based, and VTE's allow you to play a game over the web...), and board games (So a map formatted to an 8x8 field with distinct lines could not be used by the publisher as a colorful chess board? and anyone making one to these dimensions would immediately be suspect of breaking the EULA? What if your map wasn't intended as such and then used as such by a patron of your website?), but does not truly provide express permission to commercially publish anything. Publishing maps is done every day on the DJ forums and in MapShare and in many other sites on the net, it couldn't earn money before and it was permitted, the new EULA simply doesn't say the words "for free." It also doesn't include the words "for money."

Also, what characterizes "tabletop gaming?" Is the publication limited to just Adventures? Adventures and RPG sourcebooks? Is a novel 300 pages with an index at the back providing maps and stat blocks for the characters and locations considered an RPG sourcebook, and if so is that covered as being related to tabletop gaming? How lenient or strict is the EULA in this regard? At what percent of total content does tabletop gaming related content cease to be part of a work that is tabletop gaming related?

Also, what map content may be included in a published map? The italicized quote above, "(The only exceptions...)" lists two specific instances, but the EULA is vague on actually saying whether the DJ art can be published. It is clear that imported user art can be imported, and that output can be published, but between those two points it is silent on the DJ art and art packs.

I don't want to start building up hopes only to get squashed down after my work hits a bookstore shelf and DJ's owners decide my content doesn't adhere to the EULA.

I will give them credit, the section on giving credit is a smash up job. Very precise and acceptable terms. I'll be happy to obey them, as soon as I know what I can and can't publish for commercial gain and in what manner.

Edited by VarchildMarquee on 04/03/2008 at 4:31pm

Mindy
Djinni (Admin)
Djinni (Admin)

Posted: 04/09/2008 at 5:40pm | IP Logged Quote Mindy

In general, the changes were meant to allow our users to use the product for RPG gaming on tabletops or virtual tabletops or for printed adventures or RPG support books.

So, to give some examples where use of DJ and DJ art is permitted for commercial purposes:
Digital or printed adventure modules
Printed maps for tabletop gaming
Digital maps for use on virtual tabletops
Maps in books/supplements supporting tabletop gaming systems

Examples where use isn't permitted under the EULA:
DJ output used to create a colorful chessboard or other board game playing field
DJ output used in novel or other book not about tabletop gaming
DJ output used in software, whether computer or web-based.

If you're not sure whether your intended use falls within the license, you should contact webmaster@dundjinni.com with your specific questions.

Back to Top View Mindy's Profile Search for other posts by Mindy

Sumo
Hero
Hero

Posted: 04/13/2008 at 3:17am | IP Logged Quote Sumo

From experience, I am not going to get a "why" question answered, so I will just say that I am extremely disappointed that there are still restrictions on, effectively, everything bar RPG maps.

The user pressure on this subject, it seems to me, was because the restrictive licence meant the product wasn't being used to full capacity and making a viral splash.

So I am still in the position of wanting to use it, without fuzzy concerns.
Back to Top View Sumo's Profile Search for other posts by Sumo

Phergus
Legend
Legend

Posted: 04/13/2008 at 8:55am | IP Logged Quote Phergus

I also find this very disappointing and not just a little self-defeating on Dundjinni Enterprise's part.

Reading the EULA and Mindy's post it is pretty clear that it is a violation of the EULA to make game boards for use with DnD miniatures or for HeroQuest. I believe you'll find examples for both in the Maps forum.

And, no, they aren't RPGs anymore than Monopoly and chess are RPGs.

Why is it that ProFantasy manages to get this right but not Dundjinni Enterprises? There are a number of CC3 users creating maps for use in novels, brochures and other areas outside of gaming.

Page of 7 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version