Dundjinni Logo Dundjinni Logo Dundjinni Logo

Forums

Active Topics  :  Memberlist  :  Search  :  Help  :  Register  :  Login
Help Dundjinni! Rate This Website at RPG Gateway

Bugs
 Dundjinni Mapping Software - Forums : Bugs
Subject Topic: FAQ - Bugs v1.0.7 (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Kepli
Djinni (Admin)
Djinni (Admin)

Posted: 03/23/2008 at 5:58am | IP Logged  

Moderators, please feel free to copy, edit, add to, and/or stickify this post. I just keep seeing the same things so I thought I'd put them in one place.

1."Improper installation" or ANY OTHER PROBLEM WITH DUNDJINNI RUNNING.
2. "My Walls are missing" / "Textures are not visible"
3. "There is a problem with the installation of Dundjinni" message, code 4.
4. "Some of my art has disappeared! It is still listed in the pick list, but no image shows up".
5. "I can't find all the tokens I installed".
6. "I installed the demo version of Dundjinni but I can't get the installer for the User Art Packs to work".
7. "How do I install the art packs? I unzip the file, and then try to run the JAR file that was created, but nothing happens. OR, WinRAR or WinACE open".
8. "I installed a bunch of user art and now Dundjinni is really slow, or it crashes or freezes".
9. "I created a new Genre folder and now Dundjinni crashes if I restart it after using art in that Genre".
10. "Dundjinni is slow!"
11. "I get a "low on virtual memory" message, and the system is really slow".
12. "My computer is too slow!"
13. "Dunjinni isn't saving my .jpg or .png map exports ... " and "Dunjinni isn't saving my .dja or .djb maps ...".
14. "I get the message "Failed to Create Virtual Machine". What do I do?"

1. Q: "Improper installation" or ANY OTHER PROBLEM WITH DUNDJINNI RUNNING.

A: Make sure you completely removed the Demo version when you are about to install the Full version.

Make sure you remove a previously installed version of Dundjinni if that was installed on a different drive. The installed art packs might still look at the folder from that installation, not the new one.

Install Dundjinni AFTER you install the Java instance. It can't hurt to restart you PC after each step.

If you get such a message with the 1.07 patch, you can redownload and reinstall Dundjinni. Download links for the 1.07 version (as well as the user name/reg key needed for installation) are on the order details page, which can be reached via the order tracking link in the lower left hand column of the store page. If you purchased a CDROM version (either from the DJ store or your local retailer), email the store (store@dundjinni.com)with your reg key and they will provide you with an ftp site where you can download the full 1.07 version. (After reinstalling Dundjinni, you will also need to redownload and reinstall the latest version of any artpacks purchased and any user artpacks with a .jar extension).

2. Q: After using the 1.0.7 patch: "My Walls are missing" / "Textures are not visible".

A: For Vista users; turn UAC (User Account Control) OFF.....and leave it off. That is, if you haven't done so already. Seems this Vista setting screws thing up for DJ and other applications.

If this does not work, redownload and reinstall the latest version of Dundjinni from the order details page (as outlined in the answer to 1 above).
Also make sure you get all the v1.0.7 art packs after downloading the full v1.0.7 DJ version. The old art packs won't work anymore, since they weren't installed in the Dundjinni Enterprise folder.

Another action is to edit the registry and give Dundjinni more memory to work with for Java. The new 1.07 version allows you to allocate up to 2 gigs of memory to Dundjinni via the Options/Render Options Xmx dialog box (Note - you'll need to have a map open for this option to become active - and you'll have to restart the software for the change to become effective).

If you have a supercharged machine and want to allocate more than 2 gigs of memory to Dundjini, you can do so via changes to the registry. This might be a bigger problem on Vista than on XP or a MAC.

WARNING: not for the faint of heart! Windows only. This one involves changing the system registry. Don't change anything unless you know what you are doing, you can do serious damage here. To make this change, go to the Start menu, pick Run, and enter "regedit". Then go to:

- My Computer
|
-- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    |
    -- SOFTWARE
       |
       -- Dundjinni Enterprises
                                                 |
                                                 --   Dundjin ni

The key is named simply "Memory", by default it is set to 256. You can increase this to 512, 1024, etc. 1024 is what we recommend for Vista users.

When you are not able to upgrade the memory or don't trust yourself with doing that, you can send an email to the Store (store(at)dundjinni.com) to get a full version of Dundjinni 1.0.7.

3. Q: "There is a problem with the installation of Dundjinni" message, code 4.

A: Error code 4 indicates that there is a problem with the registration key matching the registered user name. Are you sure that your username and registration code are exactly what's listed either in the online store, or on the inside cover of the CD? If you're installing from CD, your name is "Retail Copy", or something like that (check the sticker inside the case). If you're installing from a downloaded copy, your username and reg code can be found by logging back into the online store and looking at "My Orders".

4. Q: "Some of my art has disappeared! It is still listed in the pick list, but no image shows up".

A: Reinstall the art pack. If the art came with Dundjinni, reinstall Dundjinni.

You can also try the suggestions listed under Question 2, such as turning off UAC in Vista, increasing memory allocated to Dundjinni via Options/Render Options/Xmx dialog box.
When your art has disappeared but is still mentioned in the pick list, reinstalling Dundjinni on another drive or in another folder than Program Files is another option. Some application don't run well when installed in the Program Files folder on a Vista machine.

If you have a retail copy of the program, your best course of action is to contact the store by sending email to store(at)dundjinni.com, providing your retail copy username and registration key (provided in the packaging), and requesting a download version of Dundjinni 1.0.7. You will receive instructions on how to log into our online store to download a full copy of 1.0.7, which will work with the most recent versions of Java, etc. You may also have to re-install any art packs, as they have also been patched/updated to work with Dundinni 1.0.7.

You should fully remove any prior Dundijnni installations prior to installing the full version of Dundjinni 1.0.7. To make sure that you've done this, first uninstall Dundjinni using your computer's Add/Remove Programs utility, then make sure that you no longer have any files in C:\Program Files\Fluid.

5. Q: "I can't find all the tokens I installed".

A: You can access the tokens via stamping down a generic token, then right-clicking to open up the description dialog.

6. Q: "I installed the demo version of Dundjinni but I can't get the installer for the User Art Packs to work".

A: The installer for all art packs (including the User Art ones) only works with the full version of Dundjinni. You can still add PNG files to the user art folders, however.
Also make sure you completely uninstall the Demo version before installing the Full version.

7. Q: "How do I install the art packs? I unzip the file, and then try to run the JAR file that was created, but nothing happens. OR, WinRAR or WinACE open".

A: The JAR file is an executable Java file. However, WinRAR and WinACE both change the associations with the JAR extension, so Windows no longer knows how to run them. You can fix this by reinstalling Java. OR you can use the File Types options in Windows to associate JAR files with Java. For WinRAR, you can also change the setting in WinRAR:

See this post.

8. Q: "I installed a bunch of user art and now Dundjinni is really slow, or it crashes or freezes".

A: Putting too many files in one folder, or files that are too large, can cause problems. Make more folders and spread the art around. Copy the ~properties file from a folder of the same type as the one you are making (e.g. if you are making a folder for walls, copy the ~properties file from the \Fantasy\User\Walls folder).

You can also try increasing memory allocated to Dundjinni via Options/Render Options/Xmx dialog. Note that you will need to have a map open for Render Options to be active - and will need to restart Dundjinni for the increased memory to take effect.

9. Q: "I created a new Genre folder and now Dundjinni crashes if I restart it after using art in that Genre".

A: Copy the ~common and Tokens folder from another Genre into the folder you've made. Also, make sure your Genre doesn't contain any empty folders (except, perhaps, the Tokens folder).

10. Q: "Dundjinni is slow!"

A: You can keep things moving faster if you turn off Shadows, Raised Walls, and Detail Mode except when you need them. Shadows and Raised Walls can be toggled under View on the menu. Detail Mode can be turned off under Options/Render Options. Also, see the prior question about lots of user art in one folder and giving DJ more memory to work with via the Options/Render Options/Xmx dialog.

11. Q: "I get a "low on virtual memory" message, and the system is really slow".

A: You may want to add some memory to your computer! System Requirements for Dundjinni are Windows 98 or later, 800 MHz Pentium 3 or better, 256 MB RAM or more, 85 MB hard disk space (approx.). Additional RAM beyond the 256 MB may also speed up your system.

12. Q: "My computer is too slow!"

A: Some general things you can do to speed up your computer (not just for Dundjinni) are:

1. Get more RAM. This is often the best inexpensive "fix" for slow computers with less than 1GB of RAM. If you're adding RAM rather than replacing what's already in the system, make sure to get RAM of the same specs as what's already installed.

2. Defrag your hard drive. This will help in various disk input/output operations (aka. loading and saving your User Art and adventure files).

3. Defrag your swap file. The swap file is space on the hard drive used by the computer when it runs low on RAM, and is often not defragmented by default when you do a normal defrag operation. You can get free tools to defrag the swap file at http://www.sysinternals.com/.

4. Optimize your swap file. You can manually set the size of your swap file, or let Windows do it for you. I often check to see what maximum size Windows recommends, then manually set the swapfile to that size. The swapfile (aka. "Virtual Memory") settings xan be found in Windows XP by right-clicking My Computer, then choosing Properties. Click the Advanced tab, then click "Settings" under the performance section, and click "Advanced" again. (And people say that Linux is hard. Jeesh!)

I do this to get an optimal swapfile: completely remove my swapfile, then defrag the hard drive. Reboot, then create a new swapfile with a static size (ie. the maximum and minimum sizes are set to the same value). This helps to keep the swapfile from getting fragmented over time, as the size does not grow and shrink.

5. Run fewer programs while running Dundjinni. Every little bit helps. If you really need to listen to music, turn on the radio rather than streaming MP3s from the Internet or your hard drive.

6. Make sure that you're as spyware/malware free as possible. Regularly scan yor computer with something like Ad-Aware (free, check download.com) and Spybot Search and Destroy (also free, check download.com). These programs will help to find and remove malicious programs that may be running on your computer without your knowledge that take up valuable CPU cycles and slow everything down.

7. The same goes for viruses. Check and clean regularly with a good antivirus program. I like AVG Antivirus from grisoft.com. It's free for personal use, and as far as I can tell, does everything that the commercial programs do. Well, everything that matters as far as keeping your PC virus-free.

13. Q: "Dunjinni isn't saving my .jpg or .png map exports ... " and "Dunjinni isn't saving my .dja or .djb maps ..."

A: Some people may experience that Dundjinni doesn't save a map when you save or export it.
Just put the extension at the end of the file name when saving/exporting. That way you tell Dundjinni to use that extention.

14. Q: I get the message "Failed to Create Virtual Machine". What do I do?

A: (thanks to Rube) It is the memory setting in dundjinni (Options, Render Options, Xmx Memory). If this is set too high, it will stop working correctly and give the mentioned error message. Try to not go above 3.5Gb on a 64Bits machine and stay below 2Gb on a 32Bits machine.
Setting the memory back to 256 via the registry allows DJ to open again and make the necessary changes. Key is located here:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Dundjinni Enterprises\Dundjinni]
"Memory"="256"

=======================================================
23 mar 2008 (Kepli): created this new Bugs FAQ for Dundjinni v1.0.7.
17 april 2008 (Mindy): updated several references to memory usages, since you can set it now from within DJ.
20 april 2008 (Kepli): updated the answer to question 2 to reflect the use of v1.0.7 art packs when installing DJ v1.0.7.
11 june 2008 (Kepli): updated the answer to question 4 to reflect the problems owners of a Retail Copy seem to have. Answer provided by SlashDevNull.
12 july 2009 (Kepli): updated the answer to question 4 to reflect the Vista issue with certain applications installed in the Program Files folder.
18 april 2010 (Kepli): Added Question 14 plus answer.

Edited by Kepli on 04/18/2010 at 5:16am

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version