28 [73.68%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Kepli
Djinni (Admin)
Djinni (Admin)

Posted: 04/03/2008 at 12:59am | IP Logged Quote Kepli

All options that allow postwork imply that the postwork that has been done needs to be listed in the contest post. That way everyone can determine what has been done. It will also give people ideas for postwork themselves.

It would also be nice to post a pre-postwork version of the contest map in the same post ...

All-in-all this could work.

Since DJ2 will be able to do all this in the program itself (and thus faster than say PS ), I am a bit more inclined to allow postwork

Micah
Legend
Legend

Posted: 04/03/2008 at 5:17am | IP Logged Quote Micah

I really like the idea of requiring a pre-postwork map in an entry. Wouldn't even mind if it has to be listed first. Personally I think It will be interesting to see how much/little postwork everyone does. And it will be neat to hear the why/hows. May even learn new tricks from each other.

And as far as DJ2 goes - if it can do a lot of these effects and retain the ease of use - hey I probably won't bother with importing it to PS.

That'll make the contests easier Kepli.

Kepli
Djinni (Admin)
Djinni (Admin)

Posted: 04/03/2008 at 5:48am | IP Logged Quote Kepli

I see I made a small mistake and put the first option "No never" as the question.
If you feel that is your choice, either post a message that states that or email me about it

aegean
Legend
Legend

Posted: 04/03/2008 at 7:32am | IP Logged Quote aegean

Should be considered polite to also give at least some details as to what is post work.....

for example "left upper corner - tree stamped in DJ - rest of map, post work"

mercutio
Legend
Legend

Posted: 04/03/2008 at 7:56am | IP Logged Quote mercutio

Like Micah, I'd like to see both pre and postwork maps. I appreciate all the things people like Cisticola do in postwork and that's actually made my maps a lot better, but I also like the old tutorials that showed you how to approximate things within the DJ program.
Back to Top View mercutio's Profile Search for other posts by mercutio

cdenham
Legend
Legend

Posted: 04/03/2008 at 9:24am | IP Logged Quote cdenham

Since I have never posted a map, I don't know that my vote is really legitimate but I'm going to throw my hat in anyway with the no post-processing camp. Maps for the contest really should highlight DJ's abilities and not the users PS ability.

Just my 2 cents.

PS - I would have voted this way but there isn't an option for no post work.

PSS - However, I want to add, I LOVE the maps posted with the post work done. They are really amazing! I just think they shouldn't be in a DJ contest but should still be shared in the forums. Hopefully this will keep some pressure on the powers-at-large to incorporate more advanced features into DJ2.

Edited by cdenham on 04/03/2008 at 9:27am

Shessar
Henchman
Henchman

Posted: 04/03/2008 at 10:54am | IP Logged Quote Shessar

While I love the maps that have post work, I think it gives an unfair advantage to those who do not have the artistic capability to do this.

The question that comes to mind is, is this contest to choose the best DJ map, or the person most capable of using GIMP or Photoshop to enhance a DJ map?

Since my personal answer is to choose the best DJ map, I have to vote No Post Work

Back to Top View Shessar's Profile Search for other posts by Shessar

oistene
Legend
Legend

Posted: 04/03/2008 at 12:50pm | IP Logged Quote oistene

The thing is, since people are allowed to make new objects, they can get the postwork done anyhow, if they are creative. It is slightly more work, but not much, to make covers and the like to make shadows, lighting, blurs and other effects in Photoshop, saving them as .pngs, and then using the .png as an object in DJ.

I'm just pointing this out - I can't really decide if postwork should be allowed or not. Just saying that even if it isn't allowed, it can still be done.
Back to Top View oistene's Profile Search for other posts by oistene

Cisticola
Legend
Legend

Posted: 04/03/2008 at 1:57pm | IP Logged Quote Cisticola

Thought I would stop sitting on the fence.....If the
contest is about what DJ can do, then no post work....

....and that goes for the art contest as well!!!....

....seriously...either way does not bother me..I entered
the last competition did'nt I..... tried to push DJ.....
and it worked OK.....may try and push it a bit more
next time round....does not mean I will do maps that
way all the time

edit: On second thought.....I do maps with post work all the time...and I
actually like the challenge of doing maps without post
work but getting the same effects.....so if post work
was allowed I would consider not actually entering....
Bet you were not expecting that

Edited by Cisticola on 04/03/2008 at 2:35pm

Micah
Legend
Legend

Posted: 04/03/2008 at 3:01pm | IP Logged Quote Micah

oistene wrote:
The thing is, since people are allowed to make new objects, they can get the postwork done anyhow, if they are creative. It is slightly more work, but not much, to make covers and the like to make shadows, lighting, blurs and other effects in Photoshop, saving them as .pngs, and then using the .png as an object in DJ.

If giving the contests a go while allowing post-work doesn't go over (in this case if we don't get a good response, or it scares posters off) we can always go back to the no postwork option.

If you really want a "fair" map contest. . . . Limit it to the Dungeon artpack that came with the program. Now that's a contest I could get behind because it would challenge me to be creative with the basics. Not push me to find a time intensive way to "get around the rules".

Whether someone is using PS to postwork an entire map or edit objects and emulate lighting as importable objects and textures. The end result is likely to still chase away folks who don't feel like they have a chance. If you really want to "showcase" what DJ can do to the general public - we need to aim at something different. - Something like what can you accomplish in 30 minutes - etc.

I dunno - just random ideas here.

Page of 5 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version