Dundjinni Mapping Software - Forums : Adventures
Subject Topic: First Adventure - And a review! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Sam_W
Hireling
Hireling

Posted: 07/19/2004 at 8:20pm | IP Logged Quote Sam_W

Well, after playing around with Dundjinni for a while, I'm pretty pleased with the results. Here's a short two-map adventure I put together to see how Dundjinni helped or hindered my work. Be gentle - this adventure was written in a little more than three hours, including drawing the maps.

While working on the adventure, I also wrote a review which you can see over here.

Hope you enjoy the adventure - it was interesting to work with this new tool and I look forward to the coming enhancements. Please, please, please, Fluidites, allow us to create adventure files and then associate maps with them.

Sam

53F_Adventure0102b.zip
Back to Top View Sam_W's Profile Search for other posts by Sam_W

griffonwing
Hero
Hero

Posted: 07/19/2004 at 8:42pm | IP Logged Quote griffonwing

Excellent review, bothe for the negative and positive feedback. One item of question, however. You said "Unfortunately, with the tool as it is, there's no way to draw elevated areas using the floor textures." There is a work-around. Simply place the desired floor images into the WALL directory. The program will treat them as walls due to the "properties" file in the WALL directory.   It's a simple matter of Copy/Paste/Reload.

Hope this helps.

Sam_W
Hireling
Hireling

Posted: 07/19/2004 at 8:47pm | IP Logged Quote Sam_W

griffonwing wrote:
There is a work-around. Simply place the desired floor images into the WALL directory. The program will treat them as walls due to the "properties" file in the WALL directory.   It's a simple matter of Copy/Paste/Reload.

Hope this helps.

You know, I thought about mentioning this in my review (and probably will go back in and post a correction at some point) but it's such a kludge it seemed to fall outside the 'out of the box' experience.

Thanks for the feedback, though, and hope you enjoy the adventure. :)

Sam

slashdevnull
Djinni (Admin)
Djinni (Admin)

Posted: 07/19/2004 at 9:19pm | IP Logged Quote slashdevnull

Grrr.... I'm like this >< close to having my Lightning Rail adventure ready to post.

I'm looking forward to looking over your adventure. Nice article, too.
Back to Top View slashdevnull's Profile Search for other posts by slashdevnull

Fluid
Djinni (Admin)
Djinni (Admin)

Posted: 07/26/2004 at 4:13pm | IP Logged Quote Fluid

Hi Sam,

There’s a couple of points you mention in your review that I wanted to inquire about:

“Then, there are some issues with the way stat blocks come out. The Fluid folks didn't bother to format the stat blocks correctly,”

We most certainly want to report the accurate stat block. Maybe we’re not familiar with the up-to-date official version? What is your understanding of the correct one?

“ There are a few unfortunate bugs with the marquee tools, however, including one which prevents the freehand marquee from working - and I mean working at all - with the snap-to-grid function”

We can’t repeat this bug here. What version of the software are you using and can you walk us thru the steps you are seeing? Thanks.
Back to Top View Fluid's Profile Search for other posts by Fluid

Sam_W
Hireling
Hireling

Posted: 07/26/2004 at 8:18pm | IP Logged Quote Sam_W

Hi Scott –

Here’s a couple of answers to your questions – let me know if you need more info. The following is a statblock from Dundjinni:

Grimlock: CR 1; Medium Monstrous Humanoid; HD 2d8+2; hp 11; Init +1; Spd 30; AC 15; base melee +4, base ranged +3; SQ: Blindsight (Ex), Immunity: Illusion (Ex), Immunity: Gaze attacks (Ex), Scent (Ex); AL NE; SV: Fort +1, Ref +4, Will +2; STR 15, DEX 13, CON 13, INT 10, WIS 8, CHA 6.
Feats: Simple Weapon Proficiency.

The standard stat block is different, primarily in that it contains more information. Here’s how stat blocks are formatted in most adventures (this was taken from the latest Eberron adventure)

Name: sex race class; CR X; Creature Type; HD XdX; hp XX; Init +X; Spd X ft.; AC X, touch X, flat-footed X; Base Atk +X; Grp +X; Atk +X melee (weapon damage/crit range, weapon) or +X ranged(weapon damage/crit range, weapon); Full Atk +X melee (weapon damage/crit range, weapon name) or +X ranged (weapon damage/crit range, weapon name); Space/Reach: X ft./X ft. [you only need this for creatures that are not Medium]; SA ; SQ ; AL XX; SV: Fort +X, Ref +X, Will +X; Str XX, Dex XX, Con XX, Int XX, Wis XX, Cha XX.

Skills and Feats: skill +x, skill +x; Feat, Feat, Feat.

Languages:

Possessions:

SA Descriptions

SQ Descriptions

Spells:

Looking at this, you can see that the following are all missing:

Touch AC
Flat-Footed AC
Grapple Attack Bonus
Atk stats
Full Atk stats
Skills are missing from the Skills and Feats section (which also needs to be renamed).
Languages
Possessions

There are some different oddities in the adventure format for monsters, as well – if you put a bunch of the same monster in a room, it will print multiple identical descriptions of the monster in that room. It also presents multiple identical stat blocks under the ‘Monsters’ section at the end of the adventure, but that’s not really a stat block gripe.

Now that I’m going back to try and get you some replicable results with the marquee tool, I realize that the tool I had the problem with was not the freehand marquee, it was the polygon marquee. This presents an error for me every single time:

1. Turn Snap to Grid on.
  2. Draw a closed figure, of any type.
  3. Selec the polygon marquee tool.
  4. Hold down either CTRL or Shift and then try and start drawing a polygon.

The marquee immediately disappears when you do this – very annoying if you’re a half hour into laying out a large marquee.

What’s really needed here is some sort of persistent marquee – it stays on the page until you fill it or clear it with a command. Otherwise, complex floor plans are just a pain to do in a seamless fashion.

The review was written using ver. 1.0.2, by the way.

I’ll update my review with the corrected information ASAP, as well.

Thanks again to the crew at Fluid for putting out a good product and for their responsiveness to the users.

Sam
www.samwitt.com

Myst Ranger
Legend
Legend

Posted: 10/14/2006 at 1:33am | IP Logged Quote Myst Ranger

Hi. Here's a request: Could anyone export this adventure and post it? As my pictures are in different places to those in this adventure, I get a whole load of ?s!

Then you realise that Captain Damian Halfhelm doesn't know the answer. And neither do you.
Back to Top View Myst Ranger's Profile Search for other posts by Myst Ranger Visit Myst Ranger's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version