Dundjinni Mapping Software - Forums : Finished Fantasy or Sci-Fi Maps
Subject Topic: DCC#10 The Sunless Garden-Level2 (WIP) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
bwatford
Hero
Hero

Posted: 06/24/2008 at 4:02pm | IP Logged Quote bwatford

Just wanted to let everyone know that I have started maping DCC#10 The Sunless Garden, I have started on level 2 upper Northwest Corner, there isn't much in there so I wanted to use that section to get the general layout before I got into the heavier stuff.

I'm looking for feedback on the floor and wall tiles mostly before I get going full in. What would you like to see changed etc on the basic layout. If you want the encounter numbers included etc.

Here's the preview.

Edited by bwatford on 07/13/2008 at 9:08am
Back to Top View bwatford's Profile Search for other posts by bwatford

supercaptain
Legend
Legend

Posted: 06/24/2008 at 4:21pm | IP Logged Quote supercaptain

Hi bwatford!!
1- first thing is....the tiles you chose look too flat...you should use someting with more variation....diffrent kind of brown....
2- second:You dont want to see the grid under tha fountain...you are not supposed too...
3-The stairs looks too flat...you should downlaod some stairs here in the forums...some are just incredible....make a search type stairs and you will find some great stuff!!
4-the walls...you have 2 choices...you make them all perfect straight lines...or you make em all look unequal
5 -you need to add some shadows....and dirt here and there...and most important of all ...toch or light sources.....I know it's alot of criticism, but that the tricks we all try to master....asking others who have been mapping for a long time is the best thing to do...we all received critics before...like you...and we all tried to perfect our skills..the layour is great
and by the way I really cant figure out what are the 3 things sitting in the middle of that room beside tha camp beds?
I will try to show you what I mean by making a small sample....
SC

You can always send me message if you want to hire me! Im a captain afterall!

Back to Top View supercaptain's Profile Search for other posts by supercaptain

bwatford
Hero
Hero

Posted: 06/24/2008 at 4:28pm | IP Logged Quote bwatford

Thanks for the feedback, I haven't started the shadows and lighting yet because I wanted to get the walls and floors done right first. The objects are currently just dropped in for reference.

The three things in the room in the center are overturned benches with shields placed along side them for cover. Then there is a chest on the back wall and a pile of furs and clothes in front of it.

The room is an ambush, some bugbears will be waiting for the party behind the benches.

supercaptain
Legend
Legend

Posted: 06/24/2008 at 4:42pm | IP Logged Quote supercaptain

Ok I made a sample real fast just to show you how you could change a mood..its a 10 min mod so...I didn't change the stairs and added small details...I just added torch, correct the fountain real fast and adden shadow and ( made a very fast color change on your tiles....andThe moods is more...well you can feel it a bit better...hope you are not angry at my advice and change...
sc
here it is...

bwatford
Hero
Hero

Posted: 06/24/2008 at 5:32pm | IP Logged Quote bwatford

It seems you darkened everything on the map? Did you do it in photoshop?

bwatford
Hero
Hero

Posted: 06/24/2008 at 8:51pm | IP Logged Quote bwatford

Ok I changed the color scheme and went ahead and changed out the stairs, add3ed all the shadows, lighting and everything.

Here's the close to final version of this section...

aegean
Mythic
Mythic

Posted: 06/25/2008 at 12:47am | IP Logged Quote aegean

Thats one hell of a rapid learning curve sir

nicely done - you could also do a slight improve by using the delete function to delete the lamp glows from where they overlap into the walls as they are internal lamps (torches) not street lighting. Over than that, nicley done.

ae

bwatford
Hero
Hero

Posted: 06/25/2008 at 6:15am | IP Logged Quote bwatford

Yeah, I still have to clean up the map and add in the window dressing throughout the dungeon. SHould have this section done shortly and I will post it up and gegin on the next section.

bwatford
Hero
Hero

Posted: 06/25/2008 at 8:20am | IP Logged Quote bwatford

Ok here is the finished map for part 1 and I am starting to work on part 2 now.

Edited by bwatford on 06/25/2008 at 1:08pm

benwax
Legend
Legend

Posted: 06/25/2008 at 5:20pm | IP Logged Quote benwax

Keeps getting better!!!

Be sure to upload it on the Prester page at goodmangames.com

Thanks!!!

Ben

Bogie
Dundjinni Master (Admin)
Dundjinni Master (Admin)

Posted: 06/25/2008 at 6:00pm | IP Logged Quote Bogie

Much better, big improvement.
An easier way to get the light glows and shadows off the walls is to select the cover with the select tool
and then use the big down arrow to move the cover to a lower level,
essntially putting it under the wall and out of sight.

bwatford
Hero
Hero

Posted: 06/26/2008 at 1:30pm | IP Logged Quote bwatford

Okay guys, while I was working on part 2 I decided that I was not happy with the layout, so I scratched everything and redesigned part 1, I wanted better shadowing and a darker seeming dungeon for a module called "The Sunless Garden" So I ramped it up a little, I also elimated all the excess wall so the map will be printer friendly... so now I can work on part 2 now that I am satisfied with part 1.

The entire module will encompass about 4 maps this size for level 2 and 4 maps for level 1. Then the outside will have 4 maps. This is a huge module, I'm working as fast as I can.

LEVEL 2
PART 1 OF 4 COMPLETE

heruca
Hero
Hero

Posted: 06/26/2008 at 1:56pm | IP Logged Quote heruca

I'm amazed at how much your maps have improved in a matter of a few days.
Back to Top View heruca's Profile Search for other posts by heruca

supercaptain
Legend
Legend

Posted: 06/26/2008 at 2:11pm | IP Logged Quote supercaptain

Wow..that is what I call fast learning.....I am impressed...well done friend...you really made that one good.....very cool.....keep the good work...You will be a master in a matter of time!!!
SC

bwatford
Hero
Hero

Posted: 06/26/2008 at 4:24pm | IP Logged Quote bwatford

LEVEL 2
PART 2 OF 4 COMPLETE
(This is the right side of part 1)

supercaptain
Legend
Legend

Posted: 06/26/2008 at 5:10pm | IP Logged Quote supercaptain

Wow!!! love in my favorite part is where the crates are piled up!!! beatiful...I just think that the room with the colored lamp is strange..the lamps are too big......but the rest is splendid.......bravo!!!

bwatford
Hero
Hero

Posted: 06/26/2008 at 5:43pm | IP Logged Quote bwatford

Okay SC let's take the strange room from the story perspective and maybe you can help me with it. The room is air sealed, it is the only room in the dungeon that holds it's prestine condition. Thus I wanted to make the floor look new and unworn, unlike the rest of the dungeon.

In the room is a free standing clothes rack that I put the green, red and blue clothes on. A dress across the bed, a sewing dummy, a nightstand, a winerack, table with 4 chairs, a spinning wheel and a rug.

The room belonged to a long gone male villian that would hide out in this room and sew. He loved to sew but hid it from everyone else. Thus the iron door. So I figured if he liked to sew, he must like brightly colored things so I but the huge colored paper lanterns around the room to well light it. Trying to get in the mind of this guy.

The only wear to the room is a light covering of dust which I added (doesn't show up to well at this scale).

So I am open to suggestions on changing the room but lets maintain the story behind it.

Thanks for the compliment on the warehouse room.

supercaptain
Legend
Legend

Posted: 06/26/2008 at 6:29pm | IP Logged Quote supercaptain

Well that explain some lots of things!!! lol...try to make a ''SEARCH'' and type cloth...you will find some rolls of cloths....he will probably have some in stock if this is is favorite passion, and mybe a table a bigger flat one with some tools like cisors and all...search for them in the forum you will get plenty of things that could be added to the fun......details is waht make a map come alive....and all of your ideas went pretty far.....I ike the way you put yourself into that guy's mind....so you can see the room with his eyes...that helps to recreate the perfect atmosphere....
very good Bwattford!!!
I canoot help you more than this...this is your story afterall....
And maybe one more little thing...a mirror will be a good addition ...he needs that to see what he makes I guess!!!
SC

Bogie
Dundjinni Master (Admin)
Dundjinni Master (Admin)

Posted: 06/26/2008 at 7:55pm | IP Logged Quote Bogie

Great job, another exponential leap in quality
Supercaptain's suggestions are all good, I would just add what he mentioned earlier, the colored lights are to big. The colors are fine given the rooms purpose but use the resize function to make them a lot smaller. Right now the lampshades are over 5 feet in diameter. Reduce them to 35% and they are just under 2 feet which would be normal.

heruca
Hero
Hero

Posted: 06/26/2008 at 8:41pm | IP Logged Quote heruca

Also, the cream-colored lamp is too similar to the room's floor color. You might want to do a quick color mod of one of the other lamps, or ask someone to do it for you, if you don't know how.

bwatford
Hero
Hero

Posted: 06/27/2008 at 8:30am | IP Logged Quote bwatford

Okay redid the room, I'm posting a better view of the redid room and the room that SC likes with the boxes and crates.

mercutio
Legend
Legend

Posted: 06/27/2008 at 9:58am | IP Logged Quote mercutio

Up close it looks like the spiderwebs should be rotated around a bit more. The ones on the left are all the same and the ones on the right are flipped from the left, but are also all the same.

bwatford
Hero
Hero

Posted: 06/27/2008 at 11:16am | IP Logged Quote bwatford

I'll make a note to touch them up before release...

I need help with some art on this project. If you are good at locating crazy stuff I need then look in the forum here to see what I need.

http://dundjinni.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=10617&PN=1&T PN=1

Thanks in advance!

dDemonicAngels
Janni
Janni

Posted: 06/27/2008 at 2:03pm | IP Logged Quote dDemonicAngels

Oh man, I miss the map forums for a couple of days and look what goes on...

These are fantastic. I love to see works in progress like this because the are great learning trips for myself and others. I love the way you applied all the comments.

As to my own, I loved the first version of the warehouse, except you need to rotate some of the boxes. This room is so big and you filled it so well, but if you start to see patterns (specifically the open crates), your mind glosses over the rest. With out the repeating pattern, you force the viewer to soak it all in.

I love the shadows and the way you stacked everything. There are also many other crates available that you can use to reduce the duplication.

I think the spiderwebs are too many and to similar. You've gone to great lengths to create an atmosphere with the shadows and lights, but then the effect is lost when all the cobwebs (which a really reflections of light) look exactly the same. There are a variety of webs on the forums that would work and give you flexibility.

Your sewing room looks much better with the smaller lamps. But I think I would consider using a darker floor because you are losing too many things to the floor. The spinning wheel and mirror to be more specific.

Also, the bed is lost in this room. This is an extravagant, fussy guy (?) and he's going to want something that fits for his bed. At the minimum, bump up the size of the bed to get the right width. But there are also a number of fancier beds available.

I would give this guy a working desk (like you've got) just for working on design, etc. Covered in scrolls or papers. Then a long workbench for his work with the material. This would go towards filling some of the open space. (Not that open space is bad, it's just I think there is still too much in this room.)

I'm really liking the rest of the floors also. Nice choice of walls. The lighting effects are really done well now.

Good luck with this.

dDA
Back to Top View dDemonicAngels's Profile Search for other posts by dDemonicAngels

supercaptain
Legend
Legend

Posted: 06/27/2008 at 2:14pm | IP Logged Quote supercaptain

Wow..that's improvement....good I really like it now...you gave a life to that room....but dDa is right about the floor...they are not giving you credits on some objects that sits on it......I alwas like to use a good contrast between floors and wall...but I try to respect the colors theme, Beige wall...brown tiles....and it looks like the light are too powerful...the objects under it look blury instead of sharp...like there was a fog over it.....maybe try to make the light less bright o something...I may critic your work but I would also use this map anytime as it is.....well done my frined...you improved skills like a lightning bolt!!! ........VERY FAST!!!
good job friend....
SC

bwatford
Hero
Hero

Posted: 06/27/2008 at 2:26pm | IP Logged Quote bwatford

What I ended up doing with the floors is simple, I found the floor tile that I liked then I took that tile into Gimp and darkened it and changed the pattern a little and then saved that as a wall texture. So the floors and walls are similar but the walls are darker and show a different pattern of rock.

While I'm waiting on some nice people here to work on my art request, I'm going to go back and rework the cobwebs and top boxes in the warehouse, I have a bunch of webbing but just got lazy after stacking all those boxes. I would change out and mix up the box types better but that ain't going to happen, spent to much time stacking those.

Second I'm going to change a few more things in the sewing room. Found a nice canopy bed to use, and some decent clothes to hang on the racks instead of those three odd green, blue and red ones. Going to add some hats for flavor on the clothes rack.

Third I'm going to enlarge that table and spread some stuff out for space and add in a larger work desk with more books and scrolls as per your suggestion.

If someone has a good suggestion for the floor tile I would be happy to take alook. I want to keep with the stone appearance of the other dungeon floor but a cleaner looking prestine tile. This will be the players look at what the dungeon ONCE was like. Many years ago.

The 3rd section I'm working on right now really has some meat in it. As far as design points go.

I've been sorting art and forgot that the program now can't find my art for my maps. Is their a quick fix or do I have to unsort what I sorted for it to put them back on the map?

bwatford
Hero
Hero

Posted: 06/27/2008 at 2:31pm | IP Logged Quote bwatford

SC... the haze effect is probably from the dust on everything, However I will try to lower the light rings down below the items to clear them up.

heruca
Hero
Hero

Posted: 06/27/2008 at 3:23pm | IP Logged Quote heruca

Try opening the DJA file in Notepad (or some other word processing program) and checking the filepath where it's looking for the art. I'm guessing you didn't put it back in exactly the same place.

Edited by heruca on 06/27/2008 at 3:24pm

bwatford
Hero
Hero

Posted: 06/27/2008 at 3:29pm | IP Logged Quote bwatford

It's all fixed now..... Phewwww I've got a mess of art I need to sort. Guess it will have to wait until these maps are finished.

bwatford
Hero
Hero

Posted: 06/27/2008 at 4:18pm | IP Logged Quote bwatford

Okay the only thing I had time to touch up this evening was the warehouse room. I skewed some of the crates sideways to add a diminsion of some items being throwed in or rumaged through. I also added some rolls of cloth since they were used in the sewing room and added a few misc knic-knacs to throw off the repetiveness of the crates. I completely redid the spider webs.

Let me know.... here it is!

oistene
Legend
Legend

Posted: 06/27/2008 at 4:20pm | IP Logged Quote oistene

Looks great. And all of that is done in DJ? I need to get hold of more shadow-objects . . .
Back to Top View oistene's Profile Search for other posts by oistene

bwatford
Hero
Hero

Posted: 06/27/2008 at 4:29pm | IP Logged Quote bwatford

Oistene

The shadowing effect in the room usues only two shadow stamps. The first one is a room size gradient transperant shadow that I ran from both sides of the walls toward each other, giving the darker shadows away from the torches, I then turned the gradient and ran it from the middle of the room (Darkess) toward the torches. This basically gave me two layers of shadow on top of each other. I layed these on top of everything at first. Then I would select a shadow and drop it downward until half of the stuff was above it. Then I would select the next layer and drop it down where only the highest crates were above it.

So in retrospect I had some dark lower areas and the crates on top were the brightest, I did have to touch it up with some corner fades on the corners of the top crates. But it wasn't dificult.

dDemonicAngels
Janni
Janni

Posted: 06/27/2008 at 6:54pm | IP Logged Quote dDemonicAngels

Very nice update.

dDA
Back to Top View dDemonicAngels's Profile Search for other posts by dDemonicAngels

bwatford
Hero
Hero

Posted: 06/28/2008 at 11:52am | IP Logged Quote bwatford

Here is a preview of the trophy room that is in part 3 that I am working on. It's all done except for the dragon head over the door.

heruca
Hero
Hero

Posted: 06/28/2008 at 12:06pm | IP Logged Quote heruca

Looks great!

Is the polar bear positioned in front of the door to scare people coming into the room? Right now it looks more like some sort of prank than a trophy.

bwatford
Hero
Hero

Posted: 06/28/2008 at 12:16pm | IP Logged Quote bwatford

Not sure what I'm doing with it yet. I've got to wait till someone gives me a dragon head for above the door and then see how the polar bear fits.

I have a smaller standing polar bear I may use that someone created.

bwatford
Hero
Hero

Posted: 06/28/2008 at 1:32pm | IP Logged Quote bwatford

Ok I have compiled the three rooms and their revisions into this one post so you don't have to look back through the thread to see where we are. These three are still open for comments. Lets get the sewing room and warehouse room finalized so we can move on to section three. The trophy room is part of section three so it is still in its early stages.

- Warehouse Room - Section 2 - Level 2

- Sewing Room - Section 2 - Level 2

- Trophy Room - Section 3 - Level 2

Edited by bwatford on 06/28/2008 at 2:38pm

Bogie
Dundjinni Master (Admin)
Dundjinni Master (Admin)

Posted: 06/28/2008 at 2:44pm | IP Logged Quote Bogie

Now that's what I call a great D&D room!!

Edited by Bogie on 06/28/2008 at 2:46pm

dDemonicAngels
Janni
Janni

Posted: 06/28/2008 at 3:23pm | IP Logged Quote dDemonicAngels

Sweet! Not much else to say. Great stuff.

dDA

mercutio
Legend
Legend

Posted: 06/28/2008 at 5:00pm | IP Logged Quote mercutio

Awesome.

cdenham
Legend
Legend

Posted: 06/28/2008 at 5:33pm | IP Logged Quote cdenham

Great gaming tables, Batman!!

WOW! What a room!!

One of the best rooms I've ever seen!

Erdrix
Hero
Hero

Posted: 06/29/2008 at 5:33pm | IP Logged Quote Erdrix

Very nice work. I loved seeing how you progressed from the beginning till now.

Back to Top View Erdrix's Profile Search for other posts by Erdrix

benwax
Legend
Legend

Posted: 06/30/2008 at 8:59pm | IP Logged Quote benwax

Agreed. Gaming table room is one of the best rooms I've ever seen. Bravo!~

bwatford
Hero
Hero

Posted: 07/01/2008 at 6:50am | IP Logged Quote bwatford

Ok this is a quick screen capture of the next room. I'm still missing a oversized free standing closet and a chest of drawers but wanted to start getting feedback on the chandelier, it was the best I could do with the model on the forums, still not happy with the lighting from it.

heruca
Hero
Hero

Posted: 07/01/2008 at 8:03am | IP Logged Quote heruca

Here are some free standing closets.

bwatford
Hero
Hero

Posted: 07/02/2008 at 7:13am | IP Logged Quote bwatford

Here is Level 2 - Section 3 Completed
Looking for final feedback on anything that needs to be touched up or added. So far the comments from this forum has been invaluable in creation of this project and will make many gamers oohh and ahhhh at their game table when released. Keep them coming.

Section 3 Overview

Chieftain’s Hidden Quarters
This room is remarkably dry and cozy compared to
the rest of the dungeon. There are thick, piled
carpets on the floor, a tall four-poster bed, and
tapestries on the wall that depict serene mountain
scenes. There is a tall chest of drawers, an
oversized free-standing closet with a heavy
padlock, a comfortable-looking sofa with an end
table, and a hanging crystal chandelier that glows
with magical light.

Lower Guard Room
The floor here is black and white tile. A long stone
bench runs the entire length of the room. The
ceiling drips all the way down, and the air smells
musty and damp. Its much colder here than in the
rest of the caverns.

Grand Display Room
This is a trophy room, lit in several places by
magical torches hanging in wall brackets. There is
a mounted and stuffed polar bear on a stand,
several suits of antique armor, and a rack of ancient
weapons. In the center of the room is a large table
with a miniature castle - if it were a real castle it
would be enormous, but as it is its walls are only six
inches high. Tiny soldiers of tin stand guard around
its miniature battlements. Standing up against the
far west wall is an amazing sight – a huge copper
piece, at least 18 feet across, a perfect replica of
the normal coin of the realm.

Cisticola
Legend
Legend

Posted: 07/03/2008 at 5:49am | IP Logged Quote Cisticola

Hey....How did I miss this post

AWESOME maps sir!....

Kepli
Mythic
Mythic

Posted: 07/03/2008 at 10:17am | IP Logged Quote Kepli

Great work

cdenham
Legend
Legend

Posted: 07/03/2008 at 11:20am | IP Logged Quote cdenham

Love your work and they way you are mapping a module.

Great job!!

bwatford
Hero
Hero

Posted: 07/11/2008 at 1:07pm | IP Logged Quote bwatford

Okay finished the 4th section of level 2, this is a final draft so please ask if you want to see something changed before I stitch the level all together and put it up for download.

Levl 2 - Section 4 - Overview

Level 2 - Section 4 - Flood Chamber
The stairs lead up out of the water and into a long
chamber. The smells of rotting fish and rank river
water are very strong here. The walls and floor of
this chamber are made of extremely smooth
stones. The walls are twenty feet high, and there
are iron rungs set in four places along the south
wall, making ladders that go up to the ceiling. A
body is manacled by both wrists to one of the iron
rung ladders. It appears to be a tall woman wrapped
in wet, swaddling robes. She is covered in
seaweed, as if she was recently submerged in the
water of the river. The body hangs motionless. The
only feature you can make out on her is a silver holy
symbol, apparently unhurt by its exposure to the
river. It gleams brilliantly around her neck.

Level 2 - Section 4 - Bugbear Guards
This antechamber has been turned into an
impromptu guard chamber. Six bugbears sit here
on sections of ruined marble pillars, eating. When
they see you, they leap to their feet to attack.

Level 2 - Section 4 - Ghast Chamber
This room is dark and smells like a charnel house.
As you open the door, a group of hideous creatures
all rush the exit at once. Their gray skin and
loathsome forms give them the appearance of
lurching corpses.

Level 2 - Section 4 - The Well
This room has a seven-foot-tall ceiling, giving it the
low, cramped feel of a prison chamber. In the center
of the room is an eight-foot-wide round well. There
is a winch mechanism on the wall that pulls a chain
through a pulley hanging above the well. There is a
large bucket on the end of the chain.

NEW PROJECT LOGO
This will be added to all the maps in the logo area.

Again, let me know if you would like to see something added or changed to the above sections. If not I will stitch the level together and release it on monday. Thanks for your feedback everyone.

Edited by bwatford on 07/11/2008 at 1:29pm

Kepli
Mythic
Mythic

Posted: 07/12/2008 at 1:37am | IP Logged Quote Kepli

Very cool maps

bwatford
Hero
Hero

Posted: 07/13/2008 at 9:09am | IP Logged Quote bwatford

This project is done for Level 2.

You can find the maps and download links here:

http://dundjinni.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=10679&PN=1&T PN=1

Bogie
Dundjinni Master (Admin)
Dundjinni Master (Admin)

Posted: 07/13/2008 at 12:29pm | IP Logged Quote Bogie

Thanks, Billy

You have come a long way in a short time.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version