Dundjinni Logo Dundjinni Logo Dundjinni Logo

Forums

Active Topics  :  Memberlist  :  Search  :  Help  :  Register  :  Login
Help Dundjinni! Rate This Website at RPG Gateway

Objects and Textures (Fantasy)
 Dundjinni Mapping Software - Forums : Objects and Textures (Fantasy)
Subject Topic: Monthly Archive by Sendorian Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
sendorian
Legend
Legend

Posted: 12/13/2008 at 7:53am | IP Logged Quote sendorian

Hi Dundjinni-Fans!

As I mentioned before I love this forums and the great things posted here. And I think it would be great if the Newbies have the chance to get all the older great stuff in an easy manner. (Of course it's for everyone else, too, who doesn't have the time to look after changes and download all the new stuff...)

This was started by kepli with the download of the week archive. Later a huge collection of forum-images was found on Cecils's site "Gamemaster's Apprentice" (was taken down in 2010) known as CSUAC (Thread). (A Mirror of this collection can be found on the CSUAC-Page on Elrics Site. )

Unfortunately the last Weekly Archive is of February 2005 and the last Monthly Archive on Gamemaster's Apprentice is of May 2008 (as the last CSUAC Update is). Something had to be done and I hope noone will take offense I've tried to reanimate these effords.

Monthly Archives

These Archives contain anything posted in the Fantasy, SciFi, Iso and Contest forums. They can be found on Mediafire or Box. (You can also join the shared folder on box to get the uploads downloaded automatically.

Elric kindly provides a mirror for all these archives (browse to Gaming - Role Playing Games - Dundjinni - Monthly Archives) and also a browsable version. Also malarcio provides an additional mirror (not always uptodate).

If you get an error from the Box download site indicating the monthly bandwidth has been reached please use Elrics mirror. There sadly is no webspace around that stores data forever and without limitation...

Additionally jdale posted an archive with all ISO images until 7/7/2009.

"Rules" for these archives

• I will create one archive per forum per month. These can be downloaded from the linked locations above.

• These archives can be downloaded and shared with others. They can be repackaged or the images can be used or posted separately. But please consider to contribute or link back to the original authors.

• These archives contain mostly images that are allowed for commercial use. When there are non-commercial images this will be mentioned by the author of the image in the posts.txt in the image folder.

Details

It's a complete collection of all images in new posts from the given month (in old threads, too). This is ensured by a program I wrote. It

1. downloads all images and zips into folders named by the thread the files were posted

2. Writes a file posts.txt for every thread with all posts of this thread. Every post message states the files posted.

3. deflates the archives

4. removes the leading forum hash

5. creates the files downloaded_files.txt and external_links.txt for every forum

6. compresses the images with pngout (a lossless compression which saves ~10% of space)

This program is written in Java. It can be downloaded from the google code project page. The sourcecode is availiable there, too.

Every image is manually checked if the naming is roughly correct.

Graytales Nook-anouncements are not added anyway, they can be downloaded on his site. Archives on sites like rpgmapshare.com or deviantart.com will be linked but not added. Archives on small sites or private homepages as well as webstorage sites will be added to the archives.

I will not replace Cecils efford with the CSUAC. The archives can be seen as Monthly Downloads like at Gamemaster's Apprentice. But different from these this Monthy Archives are sorted by thread name rather than by user.
Every thread folder has a file posts.txt where one can check if the naming is right.

EDIT: Added October - added Elrics Gallery Link
EDIT: Fixed broken link to Elrics mirror
EDIT: cleared "Rules section using the open share icon
EDIT: Removed all Links to Drop.io and added Link to Box.net
EDIT: Fixed broken formatting caused by Google Chrome, fixed link to Elrics mirror and stated that no commercial checks will be done any more.
EDIT: Updated links to downloads

Edited by sendorian on 07/28/2013 at 8:04am

Kepli
Djinni (Admin)
Djinni (Admin)

Posted: 12/13/2008 at 9:36am | IP Logged Quote Kepli

Nice work Sendorian

I would suggest people using DJ for commercial purposes don't use these archives, because they won't know if a piece is for non-commercial purposes.
The rest ... go ahead

sendorian
Legend
Legend

Posted: 12/13/2008 at 9:54am | IP Logged Quote sendorian

Thanks.

For the "gap filling"-archives (what an awful name, has someone a better suggestion?) I would suggest this, too.

The Monthly Archives will be checked for non-commercial notes in the threads. So they can be downloaded for commercial projects. (The November-Archive is OK, too.)
Back to Top View sendorian's Profile Search for other posts by sendorian

Lepi
Hero
Hero

Posted: 12/13/2008 at 12:23pm | IP Logged Quote Lepi

Go Sendorian!
sendorian wrote:
For the "gap filling"-archives (what an awful name, has someone a better suggestion?)

How about Advancement Archives or AA?

18mb for the whole month?!! We are all slacking! We need to pump out more stuff and drive people to enjoy the world of Gaming!!!
Back to Top View Lepi's Profile Search for other posts by Lepi

Bogie
Djinni (Admin)
Djinni (Admin)

Posted: 12/13/2008 at 10:02pm | IP Logged Quote Bogie

WOW! Sounds like a lot of work, but it also sounds like you enjoy it.
Thank you very much!!

kazerath
Hero
Hero

Posted: 12/14/2008 at 12:55am | IP Logged Quote kazerath

Perfect!
My harddrive collapsed and so i have to grap the whole stuff again - so your work will make it much easier!!!

In diesem Sinne vielen Dank an einen Landsmann!!!

Edited by kazerath on 12/14/2008 at 12:56am

sendorian
Legend
Legend

Posted: 12/14/2008 at 3:08am | IP Logged Quote sendorian

@Lepi: Advancement Archives is a nice name.

I've overlooked my images that have to be filtered and that's the result:

Forum Content --> Gamemaster's Apprentice Monthly Archives: 1,7 GB
Monthly Archives --> CSUAC: 4,8 GB!!!

Here is Forum Content = Everything that was found on the forums until October.

I was wondering there is so much that is in the Monthly Archives from Gamemaster's Apprentice but not in the CSUAC. So I will have to close two gaps:

Forum --> Monthly Archives
Monthly Archives --> CSUAC

So please do not give up hope if it's not done in the next week or even the next month. I will do my best!

sendorian
Legend
Legend

Posted: 12/14/2008 at 9:42am | IP Logged Quote sendorian

I have created one Drop where you can view the images like on picasa. If this is of interest for some to see what will be included in the packages, I will create one archived and one browsable version. (Note: The view does not deal correctly with transparency, so the background will be black or even with different colours. But the downloadable Version is correct.)

Drop.io has the possibility to download all images at once by choosing "share - zip archive" but this always creates one zip for the whole Drop. If I put several Months in one drop this would not be what we want. Besides the images are not structured in folders any more but flat...

Try it and tell me what you think...

Detailed view of November 2008 Archive (Link removed)

EDIT: And you can use it with Cooliris plugin for firefox (also known as piclens). That's very cool...

EDIT: The above drop will be removed in a few weeks. The new place for this is the Wuala Monthly Archives Page. (Drop.io has problems with PNGs and does not preserve the folder structure).

EDIT: The Links are not correct any more. Use the mirror.

Edited by sendorian on 01/01/2011 at 9:51am

Cecil
Janni (Moderator)
Janni (Moderator)

Posted: 12/15/2008 at 12:32pm | IP Logged Quote Cecil

Sendorian,

I already have zip files ready to upload through Oct of the monthly updates.

I also have the material crushed, renamed, and an initial sort for a large majority of the rest of the material--ready to be implemented into a CSUAC (but still a LOT of work before it's ready).

I've been holding off for a bit, since I'll probably be moving back to a dedicated server in January.

I would welcome any assistance on building file structures for some of the new folder structures.

sendorian
Legend
Legend

Posted: 12/16/2008 at 2:55am | IP Logged Quote sendorian

I'm glad that you continuing your efford. My plan was to continue the monthly archives until you resume it. But I would love to help you.

If you are planning to move your page, what if you put the archives on a public server like drop.io until you are finished? It is a long time until January and some people (like me) just can't wait to get them...

Page of 25 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version