Dundjinni Mapping Software - Forums : Maps
Subject Topic: Tatooinian Crack-House. Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
ShadowDragon868
Hero
Hero

Posted: 01/16/2010 at 12:56pm | IP Logged Quote ShadowDragon868

I made this for my Starwars (Saga) game, but it's sufficiently genetic that you could use it for any crime boss's crack house slash office in any science-fiction desert that won't break for having a few landspeeders and speeder bikes in it.

Feel absolutely free to use these for your own needs, whatever they may be. I'm afraid they're not colorized for use with the official SWM game, but that shouldn't be much of a problem for anyone with Paint and some patience.

This is the exterior, and it best shows off the pun. Crack-House, get it?... Because, yanno, narcotics are called spice in Star Wars, and Cocaine, from which Crack Cocaine derives it's name, and by extension the slum locations known as crackhouses, don't exist........... Eh...

Anyway, the idea is for players to approach from the southeast. The idea is that there should be a guard next to the door. Of course, if players go out of their way (as they are often wont to do,) they could bypass the crate-climbing (and climbing over that big ass vehicle) by going around the house to the east and starting in the northeast, or even go all the way around the block to start in the northwest.

They could also play it cool and nonchalantly walk up to the guard, pretending to be customers looking for spice or unwilling whores, and pay him to beat it, vibroshiv him in the solar plexus, beat him unconcious, use the old Jedi Mind Trick - whatever.

The idea is that the back door is firmly shut - the control panel has long ago been smashed and replaced with a brick, and the power is offline to it. The players would have to move the crates in front of the old civil utilities station and hack it to turn the power to the door back on, and then enable it to open again. They could also climb to building using the crate stack and/or the vehicle on the eastern side of the building, but that might risk being seen from the eastern window... Or they could do a spectacular free-climb, use teamwork to give each other a leg up, or even go and climb the building to the west whilst off the map and do a jump from it. Either way, that western window on the Crack-House is very, very weak as a result of having been shot from the inside several times. (Hence all the cracks on it.) Any blow at all would shatter it - and of course, one can simply touch the pristine windows with a lightsaber to shatter it, or blast it and roll well.

Assuming the players don't simply skip the ground floor altogether, this is it's layout. If they have no recon of the second floor, this is what I'd show them when they breached the building; the place is a sty. There are stains of bodily discharges and worse all over the place; I couldn't find any good "trash" tiles, so they'll just have to take my word for it when I tell them that all the furniture is shredded and there are piles of ankle-deep parapharnalia. The place will be manned by a couple of goons; if the guy outside got alerted, and got an action off before dieing (or if they blasted him or took him down in some similarly loud way), the goons inside will be prepared, using stoned people and furniture as shields. If not, they'll be caught offguard without their weapons.

The place is going to be littered with 'customers' in inactive states of passed-outedness or deadness. There's also a Twi'lek slave girl tied up at the back, if the players don't get to her before one of the goods does, he'll take her hostage. If they're not careful, they might wind up in a hostage standoff, since he'll be taking Ready Actions to administer a Coup de Grace to the helpless girl if they approach or aim a weapon at him.

Naturally, a battle below will be noticed - it's impossible for it not to be. Even if the players somehow all score God of Initiative rolls and the NPCs score crap, and they all use Surge to move to mooks and slice them up before they can even get a shot off, the screaming will alert the bosses above.

This is the dome atop the Crack-House. I've left the windows' frames in the map in the event the players enter via that route. As you can see, this is the office of the bad guys, and it's an ambush.

If they've got one round of readiness, the chairs will have been pushed into positions to block the room. Two rounds, and they'll have their light repeating blaster rifles (all of which have vibrobayonets on the end) out and braced on the desk. Three rounds or more, and they'll have Readied Actions to unload on the poor bastards the moment they appear.

Obviously, the answer is, if they're prepared upstairs, not to go up by the stairs! Slicing the floor out from under the boss to seperate him from his lieutenants would work very nicely; as would throwing a grenade up the stairs. Just so happens they got a thermal detonator last session; or they might find stun or frag grenades in the crates of weapons outside if they search them before proceeding. They could also enter via the windows, while the boss and his lieutenants have their backs turned and are tunnel-vision focused on the stairs.

Naturally, this is a bad tactical situation to be in if the bad guys are prepared. They're all firmly behind cover, some of which can't even be climed over because it's so bulky and tall, such as the book-case, the cabinet and filing cabinet, and those gigantic computer screens that clearly pilfered from a starport public-adress terminal. As for the rest, well, the boss and his boys are well holed up, and worse; the boss is actually specced as a melee and ranged monster. The first time I ran this for players (without map), they got badly hurt from the volume of fire they took in the shorts, despite being five strong. The second time, despite the players being down to only two, they didn't take a single hit point of damage, since they cut the ceiling out from the boss and force-blasted him into the roof, then back down to the ground.

I've also gone and made an unprepared boss map.

If they catch the boss and boys unprepared, the boss will be 'debriefing' (yelling) at one of his lieutenants whom they injurered last session and who managed against all the odds to run away and get back home. They won't be behind their desks, their blasters will need to be readied. They'll go down like chumps.

I also went and contrived a set of "first and second floor connected" maps, even for the unprepared boss, for the eventuality that the players somehow get inside intel before going in. There won't be any cameras to hack this time, (last time not only were there cameras, there were interior doors and even a turret for them to hack,) though they could shut off the lights if they wished.

It's preperation, for the eventuality that the players spread the battle across both floors.

I haven't made the basement yet. In my game, there's nothing there but an imprisoned Republic Intelligence Agent whom Crack-Tooth (the Aqualish who's the crime boss) is holding for ransom, a pile of enough spice to kill two Gammoreans and a Wookie, and a couple of sex slaves, all in locked rooms with bar doors.

I could make it if someone wants me to, though.
Back to Top View ShadowDragon868's Profile Search for other posts by ShadowDragon868

Kepli
Djinni (Admin)
Djinni (Admin)

Posted: 01/16/2010 at 11:54pm | IP Logged Quote Kepli

Very cool maps

ShadowDragon868
Hero
Hero

Posted: 01/17/2010 at 3:10am | IP Logged Quote ShadowDragon868

Thanks. They're not exactly my best works - which I still think are those ones I did so long ago for that Iron Kingdoms game, and which I wish I still had all the Dundjinni pieces I'd used on them, but...

I'm happy with it.

On an entirely related note, any reccomendations for good kind of household objects? It's surprising how much good overlap can be had between fantasy and sci-fi. I especially need things like furniture and stuff...

Though, sooner or later I'm going to need very distinctly sci-fi stuff, Star Wars stuff in particular. SteelRat had some on his website, but I need stuff like the Imperial architecture chairs and such. Does anyone have any leads?
Back to Top View ShadowDragon868's Profile Search for other posts by ShadowDragon868

heruca
Janni (Moderator)
Janni (Moderator)

Posted: 01/17/2010 at 6:01am | IP Logged Quote heruca

There are some nice sci-fi chairs in the Download of the Week archive. I take it you've already downloaded all the sci-fi furniture from this forum?

ShadowDragon868
Hero
Hero

Posted: 01/17/2010 at 8:57am | IP Logged Quote ShadowDragon868

Actually, I couldn't figure out how to download them. I couldn't seem to find a download link.

Quite a bummer.

Bogie
Djinni (Admin)
Djinni (Admin)

Posted: 01/17/2010 at 9:16am | IP Logged Quote Bogie

ShadowDragon868 wrote:
Actually, I couldn't figure out how to download them.
I couldn't seem to find a download link. Quite a bummer.

If you are referring to downloading user art from the DJ forums, Then all you have to do is Right Click the object and select Save Image.
BUT it doesn't work right with Internet Explorer. You'll need to use a different browser like Firefox,
also some people use a download manager app.

Edited by Bogie on 01/17/2010 at 11:01am

heruca
Janni (Moderator)
Janni (Moderator)

Posted: 01/17/2010 at 9:25am | IP Logged Quote heruca

Sci-fi conference chairs.

ShadowDragon868
Hero
Hero

Posted: 01/17/2010 at 12:20pm | IP Logged Quote ShadowDragon868

Ah, thank you, Heruca!

Bogie, no, that wasn't my problem. My problem was finding the download links for the Art of the Week downloads.

Starjammer
Hero
Hero

Posted: 01/23/2010 at 9:48pm | IP Logged Quote Starjammer

I like the maps, any chance of geting battlemaps or the dja,s
Back to Top View Starjammer's Profile Search for other posts by Starjammer

ShadowDragon868
Hero
Hero

Posted: 01/24/2010 at 4:26am | IP Logged Quote ShadowDragon868

I'm not sure what all I've used in these maps, would the djas do you much good? What has to be done to make them a battlemap?

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version