Dundjinni Mapping Software - Forums : Tiles
Subject Topic: Continuum Caves (starter set) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Neyjour
Legend
Legend

Posted: 09/30/2011 at 12:50pm | IP Logged Quote Neyjour

Kepli: okay, lighter grey it is! Thanks.

Ravenbow: they are square (see the small thumbnail pics in my first post), but they're set against a white background, which is why the other pics I've posted blend into the forum background, so you can't see the edges of the tiles. (EDIT: Sorry, I misunderstood what you were asking. But no. The floor stones aren't perfectly square, but they're close enough that it doesn't look wrong when the tiles are rotated).

Bogie: thanks for the suggestion about getting rid of the bevel end! And thanks for the floor textures. I'll play with them today and see how they look!

Dragonlady: I understand what you mean, but since it's fantasy, I think it's okay to sacrifice realism for esthetics.

Eanwulf: I do plan to have other floor and ground textures in various tiles. And water as well. But initially, I need to choose a single texture for the base floor. Anything else will be laid on top (and blended into the base texture) later on. I'm not quite sure what you mean about the tiles...they're all designed to be flipped and rotated, to allow for a variety of different designs...long tunnels that could go on forever, tunnels that dead-end with small caverns, and the larger pieces can be fitted together to make very large central caverns.

Edited by Neyjour on 10/01/2011 at 9:29am

Bogie
Djinni (Admin)
Djinni (Admin)

Posted: 10/01/2011 at 10:18am | IP Logged Quote Bogie

Here is another dungeon floor tile that can be rotated. I can only take credit for making it lighter, I'm not sure who is the original artist.

568_brown_stone_dark.zip
The ZIP contains 2 versions with 9 tiles of each.

Eric of Ptolus
Legend
Legend

Posted: 10/01/2011 at 11:38am | IP Logged Quote Eric of Ptolus

I could see these as 800x800 pixel floor stamps. I'm not sure how DJ would handle non-standard size images - I think it allows them, think I might have tried it once with some slime overlays or some such.

But then, rotation (of floor icons) would not be permitted. You'd have to provide the rotations as separate icons. And THAT would take a lot of "cycling through" to get to the one you want.

I suppose a objects they'd work, you "could" make the white background transparent instead.

Overall, I like the idea, but kinda feel I'd be constrained to use a floor texture selected by someone else, and don't think it can easily be modified. But I'd give'm a whirl just for fun.

Back to Top View Eric of Ptolus's Profile Search for other posts by Eric of Ptolus Visit Eric of Ptolus's Homepage

Bogie
Djinni (Admin)
Djinni (Admin)

Posted: 10/01/2011 at 1:05pm | IP Logged Quote Bogie

In DJ, "Floor" tiles must be 200x200 pixels, anything different causes gaps or weird overlaps.
To use these as 800x800 pieces in DJ they would have to be used in a "Cover" file. Then they can be stamped exactly where you want them and rotated any way you want. If the backgrounds are white they will cover anything under them. If the backgrounds are transparent, then you would see whatever floors or objects are under them.

Neyjour
Legend
Legend

Posted: 10/01/2011 at 11:20pm | IP Logged Quote Neyjour

When these are done, there will be 2 versions of each tile. One with a dark rocky background, and one transparent.

Thanks for the floor tiles Bogie. Those are really nice! I'm still testing out different ones...can't make up my mind.

----------

EDIT:
I'm going to stick with the original floor tiles. I think I like those the best. The walls have been changed and look better with the new rocky background. Here's a few fitted together:

Edited by Neyjour on 10/03/2011 at 11:37am

Eric of Ptolus
Legend
Legend

Posted: 10/04/2011 at 5:34pm | IP Logged Quote Eric of Ptolus

To paraphrase Jabba the Hutt, "These Dundjinni users like Neyjour are my kind of scum, fearless and inventive."
Back to Top View Eric of Ptolus's Profile Search for other posts by Eric of Ptolus Visit Eric of Ptolus's Homepage

Bogie
Djinni (Admin)
Djinni (Admin)

Posted: 10/04/2011 at 8:31pm | IP Logged Quote Bogie

It is a great way to quickly make caves and tunnels.

I also liked the original floor tiles, they are man made pavers, but look really rough. They could be the sloppy work of humanoids, or better craftsmanship that is now old and deteriorated. The only downside is when rotated 90deg the stones will run in the opposite direction, but for a game map it won't matter.

Can't wait to see the rest of the tiles.

Neyjour
Legend
Legend

Posted: 10/04/2011 at 9:11pm | IP Logged Quote Neyjour

Thanks guys.

I really like those floor tiles as well, for the same reasons as you Bogie. They're man-made but look really rough and rustic. Unfortunately, I had to scrap them because I couldn't get the tiles at the outer edges to line up properly (fitting a rotated tile with a non-rotated one).

So here's the new version...not as rough and rustic, but I think the cracked overlay texture helps with that a bit.

And here's an example of how they look fitted together:

They're not 100% perfect where the walls join up (there are some small differences in size with certain tiles...one wall is slightly thicker than the other or the center highlight doesn't quite match up), but I've done the best I can with it, and if I obsess over it any more, it's going to become a pain for me rather than being enjoyable. If you find that it's distracting, a few minutes in a image editor (after you've got your final layout done) should fix it up fairly easily.

Edited by Neyjour on 10/04/2011 at 9:12pm

Eanwulf
Legend
Legend

Posted: 10/04/2011 at 9:24pm | IP Logged Quote Eanwulf

I like that a lot better - not that the previous was bad in ANY way.

I can't help but feel people could use them as a basic guideline to custom tailor their dungeons as needed - i.e. one could easily add dirty floor overlays, rubble, and debris piles to give it a rougher, more cavernlike appearance. Who know maybe someone can break out some decent stalactite/stalagmite designs to match the color schemes.

SO MUCH potential for an already superbly designed product!

Gaming Rule #64: "If you put your finger in your ear and scratch, it sounds like Pac-Man."
Back to Top View Eanwulf's Profile Search for other posts by Eanwulf

Neyjour
Legend
Legend

Posted: 10/04/2011 at 9:40pm | IP Logged Quote Neyjour

Thanks Eanwulf. I'm glad you like the new version, and I hope others do too.

I had originally planned to populate each tile like how you described, with various elements, dirt/rubble overlays, vegetation, cave pools, dungeon stairs, pits, and all sorts of other interesting features. Basically, it would be like sharing a finished map, but one that's broken up into pieces and you just decide how you want to fit it all together.

Or...

Leave them completely blank (like how you see in the examples) which would make them more of a base resource that you'd have to build on yourself...adding elements, details, etc.

Or...offer both? A "blank" and "finished" version of each set.

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version