Dundjinni Mapping Software - Forums : Tiles
Subject Topic: Continuum Caves (starter set) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Eanwulf
Legend
Legend

Posted: 10/04/2011 at 9:52pm | IP Logged Quote Eanwulf

You could very well tackle each piece one at a time then post them in a series of before/after shots, side by side one another. This way people could snag the blanks and/or finished product as needed.

They could even use your existing alterations (rubble/vegetation/pools/etc) to perhaps create additions of their own to ensure those persons snagging a blank map would have something to slap down on it.

Quite a few of the forum members are rather good at dissecting map sections and images, so I wouldn't see a problem there at all. Other than perhaps having them ask if you by chance had this element or that added to a particular map on the hard drive.

Then again this is merely the suggestive ramblings of one individual :)

Gaming Rule #64: "If you put your finger in your ear and scratch, it sounds like Pac-Man."
Back to Top View Eanwulf's Profile Search for other posts by Eanwulf

Neyjour
Legend
Legend

Posted: 10/04/2011 at 10:33pm | IP Logged Quote Neyjour

Great suggestions! Thanks!

I think I'll definitely do a blank and finished version of each tile/set. That way, people can not only dress up the tiles themselves (to their own tastes and for their own use), but they can also share their "creations" on the blank tiles for others to use as well, which would expand the number of tile options and re-useablity factor significantly.

Initially, I would need to release quite a few in the first set so you'd have a nice variety of options to get started. (That would be the "blanks".) Then I could release the "finished" version tiles one at a time (or two at a time, etc. as time allows for me to make them).

So, you'd have have blanks to build on yourself, finished tiles from me, and (hopefully) finished tiles from a variety of other people as well. Lots and lots of options. At least, that's the general idea...if people like them enough to run with it and help to expand the set.

Here's a sample of some of the other tiles you can use to make larger areas/caverns:

Something I've been wondering about...do you guys think the flagstones look okay at that size, or should I make them a bit larger?

Edited by Neyjour on 10/04/2011 at 10:33pm

Eanwulf
Legend
Legend

Posted: 10/04/2011 at 10:49pm | IP Logged Quote Eanwulf

Well, bear in mind that Dundjinni uses the ratio of 200 pixels for every 5 ft. of map distance.

ALSO...

Feel free to check out THIS THREAD for Aegean's floor patterns. The set is quite spiffy and I even made a BROWNISH VARIANT at one time for a dungeon I was working on.

Scroll down to the bottom until you see it and who knows, it might be a nice compromise in wanting something rougher looking for your floor tiles.

Edited by Eanwulf on 10/04/2011 at 10:58pm

Gaming Rule #64: "If you put your finger in your ear and scratch, it sounds like Pac-Man."

Neyjour
Legend
Legend

Posted: 10/04/2011 at 11:20pm | IP Logged Quote Neyjour

That road texture you modded looks really good. I'm just concerned that I'll run into the same problem I did with the original stone floor I was using...they're seamless as long as they're all in running in the same direction, but when you rotate one 90 degrees, the edges don't match up. I'll play with them tomorrow and see how it looks.

As for the texture I've got now...I don't have Dundjinni, and trying to make and render stuff for use in that program kinda makes my head hurt ( ) which is why I usually just try to render at large resolutions. Then people can resize them down to whatever size they need. However, this is a bit different...

The flagstones are just that...stones. They're not meant to be a grid. (You'd have to lay down a grid yourself). I was just wondering if (visually/esthetically) the individual stones looked okay at that size, or if they would look better a bit larger?

Here's the 3 size options (that will fit properly in my 800x800 tile):

version 1 (original):

version 2 (slightly larger):

version 3 (large):

Edited by Neyjour on 10/05/2011 at 12:33am

heruca
Janni (Moderator)
Janni (Moderator)

Posted: 10/05/2011 at 6:51am | IP Logged Quote heruca

I think the cracks are a bit overdone for that sort of flagstone.

Ravenbow
Hero
Hero

Posted: 10/05/2011 at 7:55am | IP Logged Quote Ravenbow

Bogie wrote:
The only downside is when rotated 90deg the stones will run in the opposite direction, but for a game map it won't matter.

Can't wait to see the rest of the tiles.

You stated what I was 'trying' to say on the first page.

And I really like the new floors. The largest are my favorite of the three.
Back to Top View Ravenbow's Profile Search for other posts by Ravenbow

Bogie
Djinni (Admin)
Djinni (Admin)

Posted: 10/05/2011 at 9:15am | IP Logged Quote Bogie

I like both the medium and larger squares.

Those tiles from Aegean are among my favorites. Have used them in a lot of maps.

Kepli
Djinni (Admin)
Djinni (Admin)

Posted: 10/05/2011 at 12:52pm | IP Logged Quote Kepli

I also like the medium and large the best.

Eanwulf
Legend
Legend

Posted: 10/05/2011 at 8:01pm | IP Logged Quote Eanwulf

Aye, Medium and Large here too. Something one can use without a Dundjinni grid applied but still with enough detail to function properly.

Neyjour
Legend
Legend

Posted: 10/06/2011 at 5:46pm | IP Logged Quote Neyjour

Okay, thanks everyone. I'm going to go with the large size.

I'm close to finishing this up, so if there's a specific tile shape you want or think I should include, post a rough sketch for me.

Here's a quick screencap of the 18 tiles I've got so far:

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version