Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
cyderak
Hero
Hero

Posted: 01/29/2012 at 9:40am | IP Logged Quote cyderak

dorpond wrote:
@danielpryor and cyderak
What is missing the the available vtt's?

I have been working with maptool for years now, and would like to
know what it is missing in your eyes. I also know that Heruca has put
countless hours into BGRPG, and so has the gang over at Fantasy
Grounds. If there is something seriously missing, we would all love to
know!

@thesim
Your vtt UI looks pretty! It looks like it is targeting a very high screen
resolution. What will the system specs and minimal resolution be?

In my eyes.......Aesthetics and specific features that gear towards my game table.

I don't use VTT's for online gaming or for their chat functions.

I use it for facilitating game sessions on my game table.

Projecting Battle maps onto the game table for Pathfionder, Mutants & Masterminds, and star Wars RPG gaming sessions.

Also for placing objects, traps, creatures, spell animation GIF's, and fog of war onto those battlemaps.

And everytimne I find a new VTT to do this, they have some function or feature that ham-strings me enough to slow down game play.

So I end up moving on to another VTT to see if it'll work.

Edited by cyderak on 01/29/2012 at 9:42am

danielpryor
Legend
Legend

Posted: 01/29/2012 at 1:08pm | IP Logged Quote danielpryor

Well I bought BRPG and haven't really used it yet. I'm frustrated with the lack of the FOW using a snap-to-grid reveal process. I also want a VT that I can use with just ONE computer, not two. I've also tried RPTOOLS and other VT and found that like one feature is great on one then on another VT its missing. I need one that has everything in it.

I'm running a game where I'm not using token but actual miniatures. Need FOW based on a snap-to-grid style so I can easily erase the FOW as I go (I don't care about LOS FOW or making walls etc). I don't use virtual dice, I use real dice. I need a VT Program that can use .png, .jpg and multiple file types without oan issue and WITHOUT having to recopy my maps from my documents folder into a special folder for the pgram like BRPG does. I need to be able to lay down transparent color overlays for like Fireballs, poison gas, etc. and move and resize them on the fly wihout loading special templates that are premade and presized, but something that can snap to a grid and be sized on the spot. I need a program that can view it all in fullscreen without an annoying HUD or a bunch of open windows and if I want to manipulate something on the screen I can simply right click for a contextual window.

Right now I'm using GIMP2 on a HD TV that's 1900x1080p, using miniatures and real dice..

Click here for pics
Back to Top View danielpryor's Profile Search for other posts by danielpryor Visit danielpryor's Homepage

jfrazierjr
Henchman
Henchman

Posted: 01/29/2012 at 1:47pm | IP Logged Quote jfrazierjr

Ok.. so Since I use MapTool(and have contributed code to it in the past), what are the issues specific to MapTool..

cyderak mentioned Aesthetics, and he is right... it is a bit ugly... but on the other hand... I "believe" it has more features than
any other VTT out there and for me at least, function trumps form every time.

cyderak also mentioned animated GIF. One big issue here is that people have been waiting for 15+ years for an animated image format
without all of GIF's legal crap... then patents expired, but people were still waiting since a new format was right around the
corner... and still is it seems.

danialpryor what is the part about MapTool that you like the least that offsets the one "awesome" feature? Your right that templates
can't be resized or moved on the fly, but I am wondering if there is another possible solution(I have some in mind) until such
support is built in.
Back to Top View jfrazierjr's Profile Search for other posts by jfrazierjr

Bogie
Djinni (Admin)
Djinni (Admin)

Posted: 01/29/2012 at 2:57pm | IP Logged Quote Bogie

Nice Display Dan, is the TV mounted flush with the table top in a cut out hole?

Hey jfrazierjr! Welcome to the Forums!

I use MapTool and I play very much like DanielPryor does, except I don't use the snap to grid function.

jfrazierjr
Henchman
Henchman

Posted: 01/29/2012 at 5:06pm | IP Logged Quote jfrazierjr

danielpryor wrote:

Right now I'm using GIMP2 on a HD TV that's 1900x1080p, using miniatures and real dice..

Click here for pics

Do you have any concerns about heat buildup since TV's are not meant to be mounted screen up? or do you have some solution in place to deal
with that under the table?

For me, I am going more for a top down (portable) approach, trying to build a cube rig like game-articles.b.2827.r.1.html">Sean's. Though I know I will have to rig some type of mirror system since I have a project with a
longer throw than I have height(need around 50 inches for a 36x27 image)

cyderak
Hero
Hero

Posted: 01/29/2012 at 5:52pm | IP Logged Quote cyderak

jfrazierjr wrote:
danielpryor wrote:

Click here for pics

Do you have any concerns about heat buildup since TV's are not meant to be mounted screen up? or do you have some solution in place to deal

For me, I am going more for a top down (portable) approach, trying to build a cube rig like game-articles.b.2827.r.1.html">Sean's. Though I know I will have to rig some type of mirror system since I have a project with a
longer throw than I have height(need around 50 inches for a 36x27 image)

Yeah, I looked into the "Cube" too but there was the problem of shadows when you go to move a miniature. Thats why I project from the bottom up onto a frosted plex-glass screen.

I always wanted to do the whole LCD or LED screen turned on its side but I always heard the horror stories of doing that to a LCD or LED screen.

That, and the scratches on the screen and if you place a plexiglass sheet over the T.V. screen it displaces the minis from the spaces they sit in.

I've seen guys who have done it and complain about the miniatures displacement.

Edited by cyderak on 01/29/2012 at 5:54pm

Kepli
Djinni (Admin)
Djinni (Admin)

Posted: 01/29/2012 at 11:56pm | IP Logged Quote Kepli

danielpryor wrote:
Well I bought BRPG and haven't really used it yet. I'm frustrated with the lack of the FOW using a snap-to-grid reveal process. I also want a VT that I can use with just ONE computer, not two. I've also tried RPTOOLS and other VT and found that like one feature is great on one then on another VT its missing. I need one that has everything in it.

I'm running a game where I'm not using token but actual miniatures. Need FOW based on a snap-to-grid style so I can easily erase the FOW as I go (I don't care about LOS FOW or making walls etc). I don't use virtual dice, I use real dice. I need a VT Program that can use .png, .jpg and multiple file types without oan issue and WITHOUT having to recopy my maps from my documents folder into a special folder for the pgram like BRPG does. I need to be able to lay down transparent color overlays for like Fireballs, poison gas, etc. and move and resize them on the fly wihout loading special templates that are premade and presized, but something that can snap to a grid and be sized on the spot. I need a program that can view it all in fullscreen without an annoying HUD or a bunch of open windows and if I want to manipulate something on the screen I can simply right click for a contextual window.

Click here for pics

I also use BRPG and I only use one computer with two screens for playing around the table. I show the map to the players and keep all other stuff to myself
As far as I know you can install BRPG twice (one GM and one Player) if you want to use FOW in GM mode AND in player mode for the players.

When I use FOW I use the "dynamic and manual" version, so moving the tokens around will reveal what is there and I can also remove the FOW manually if I want.
You could use placeholders in BRPG to replace the actial mini's you use. That way you can use the dynamic FOW

You have a lot more specifics that I don't think I have seen in any VT yet, but some of them would be awesome on a touch screen.

jfrazierjr
Henchman
Henchman

Posted: 01/30/2012 at 4:59am | IP Logged Quote jfrazierjr

cyderak wrote:

Yeah, I looked into the "Cube" too but there was the problem of shadows when you go to move a miniature. Thats why I project
from the bottom up onto a frosted plex-glass screen.

While I love that approach, that just was not an option for us. Our GM did not have the space for something like that and since
then we have actually been bouncing between 2 locations, so portability is a key factor. At one place, we used a wall mounted
large screen TV a few times, but the issue there was the lack of player interaction due to seating issues(ie, we were not all
around the table together). At the other, we did have a table and used the wall to project onto.   As noted, neither of the
hosts have room to store a large wooden box for the rear projection approach, so that pretty much forces the use of a top down
custom built rig to accommodate both space as well as portability(I also hope to be able to take it to a local game store once in
a while for demo's).

For me, the main reason I ended up choosing MapTool was primarily for the price(ie free) and the openness of the community.    Of
course, I could also say that this is also a huge downfall.   Since there is no monetary incentive, the developers can't spend as
much time as they would like (me included).   Being open source, since I am a developer myself, I loved the fact that if there
was something that was not in the product (and I could actually do the work), I could and "have" added a number of features.

danielpryor
Legend
Legend

Posted: 01/30/2012 at 11:15am | IP Logged Quote danielpryor

jfrazierjr wrote:

The monitor hasn't had any significant heat build up to speak of and I run it sometimes up to 8 hours at a time, but only about once a week. It is is haning over a hole and resting on its lip. Underneath is also a simple support on the corners. I designed it so that I could take it out easily at a moments notice in case I needed to break it down.

I have a Video cord running back around my chair and to the main computer which has a toal of four screens: The HDTV, two 19" widescreens on each side, and a 24" widescreen in the middle.

I picked up the 40" monitor from Best Buy for like only $400 (It's their store brand a "DYNEX") and its awesome.

Back to Top View danielpryor's Profile Search for other posts by danielpryor Visit danielpryor's Homepage

TheSim
Hero
Hero

Posted: 02/02/2012 at 11:23am | IP Logged Quote TheSim

We are currently working on an info website for our Skirmish! VT and I think a lot of people will love the features and the accessibility of our software while keeping it pretty much affordable for everyone.

I will post the link when in a new topic when the site is up.

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version