Dundjinni Mapping Software - Forums : Social Lounge
Subject Topic: Your Favourite Music Artists/Songs Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Neyjour
Legend
Legend

Posted: 02/11/2012 at 11:13pm | IP Logged Quote Neyjour

I'm always on the lookout for new music, and threads like these are a great way to find new artists and songs!

So... post some of your faves! YouTube (or similar) links to the music videos would be best! And what genres do you like best?

I really love foreign language songs, mainly Asian (Japanese, Mandarin, Korean, Thai, Mongolian, Indonesian and Malay). Also a little bit of Russian, Spanish, French, German, and Arabic. I'd really love to find more in other languages, but English would be welcome as well!

I enjoy a lot of different genres (Pop, Rock, Heavy Metal, Indie, Reggae/Dancehall, Soca/Calypso, Rake-N-Scrape, Salsa, R&B, Rap, Shima-uta, Visual Kei, Rai). The only ones I'm not too hot on are Country and Enka.

Here's a few of my current faves:

Mandarin
Wang Lihong - Chun Yu Li Xi Guo De Tai Yang (The Sun After It's Washed By Spring Rain) 春雨里洗過的太
Yang Peian - Yang Pei An - Zhe Gai Si De Ai (The God Damn Love) 這該死的愛
Wang Feng - Beijing, Beijing
Dao Lang - Xi Hai Qing Ge (Western Love Song) 西海情歌

Japanese
Home Made Kazoku - Tomorrow (ft. Kusuo)
Solzick - Jounetsu Fiesta
Gackt - No ni Saku Hana no Youni (Like the Flowers That Bloom In the Field) 野に咲く花のよ 358;に
Mucc - Libra

Mongolian
BX - Sorrow / Гуниг
Outlaw - Nadaas Buu Holdooch

Russian
Vitas - Zvezda (The Star) Звезда

French
Cheb Khaled - Aicha

Spanish
Zoe - Nada (Nothing)

German
Silbermond - Irgendwas Bleibt (Something Remains)

Korean
Clazziquai - She Is ("My Lovely Samsoon" theme song)
TVXQ - Why (Keep Your Head Down)
Nell - It's Okay

Indonesian
Chrisye - Kangen (ft. Sophia Latjuba)

Thai
Boy Peacemaker - Suaan Geern (Surplus) ส่วนเกิน
Golf-Mike - Kae Kraang Dieow (Just This Once) แค่ครั้ง$ 48;ดียว

And an English song that I never get tired of listening to (with a little bit of Arabic by Cheb Mami):
Sting - Desert Rose (ft. Cheb Mami)

Enjoy!

Edited by Neyjour on 02/12/2012 at 12:00am

ProBono
Legend
Legend

Posted: 02/12/2012 at 6:51am | IP Logged Quote ProBono

Foreign Language? You might like these...

Cirque Du Soleil    Ka
...or...
Cirque Du Soleil      Makunde
...from the stageshow in Las Vegas. Not an actual language but one made up for the show.

Just whistle along...
Morricone L'Arena

...Those ones all had over a minutes buildup each, so straight in with Rolf next...

Australian is foreign(?)
Keep up with this parade, if you can...
Rolf Harris - Court Of King Caractacus.
...or...
Sun Arise

Shanadoo "King Kong": Japanese J-Pop {line dancing Japanese style; verses end in English!), but I won't link to it on YouTube due to the strange links near it. "King Kong" is the theme tune to the Girls With Guns thread. !...Hey, don't go there...!

German language...
Amerika!

Darker? End theme from the remake of Dawn Of The Dead movie...
Johnny Cash - Man Comes Around
You can find the theme to Zombi 2 (aka Zombie Flesh Eaters), my favourite, yourself.

ProBono knows all the words and actions to this...
My Mind Is Far Away...!

Amish Paradise

Sometimes you just gotta lose it...
Rednex Cotton Eye Joe

Edited by ProBono on 02/12/2012 at 7:29am
Back to Top View ProBono's Profile Search for other posts by ProBono

Bogie
Djinni (Admin)
Djinni (Admin)

Posted: 02/12/2012 at 10:36am | IP Logged Quote Bogie

One of my all time Favs, Guenevere - Crosby & Nash
Guenevere

Something a bit different, Uriah Heep (yeah I know, more old hippies..) Sunrise

Fleetwood Mac before Stevie Nicks Hypnotized

Achmed the Undead Terrorist WoW style Achmed

And just to be silly: Steve Martin King Tut

Neyjour
Legend
Legend

Posted: 02/12/2012 at 2:24pm | IP Logged Quote Neyjour

ProBono:

I really liked those Cirque Du Soleil songs! Fictional "languages" are really cool in music. There's a group I found several years ago that have some songs like that. Can't remember their name right off...I'll have to see if I can find them...

Those weird/silly songs really made me LOL and go WTF! Hahaha! They reminded me of Tripod. Gonna Make You Happy Tonight is my fave by them. It's absolutely hilarious, and a must-see for any gamer!

Rammstein is pretty cool. Amerika! isn't one of my faves, but I've enjoyed some of their other stuff. I really like the lead singer's deep, growly voice.

Johnny Cash! Ring of Fire is my fave by him! That reminded me of Kenny Rogers and The Gambler, which I absolutely love!

And I love Amish Paradise! Hilarious!!! Weird Al is fantastic! White and Nerdy is another one of my faves by him.

Cotton Eye Joe by Rednex is great! That's a remake, isn't it? Do you know who sings the original?

Bogie:

I don't think I've ever heard Uriah Heep before. The lead singer has a really great voice!

That WoW video reminded me of some of the music videos Cranius did for WoW, which are pretty awesome! Big Blue Dress and Darrowshire are both original songs, and he also did a music vid set to Beer for My Horses by Toby Keith and Willie Nelson. I have all 3 of these songs (and the music vids) in my playlist!

We played WoW for about 2 and a 1/2 years, so I really love that kind of stuff.

EDIT:
I found them! Their name is Vas. Here's two of their songs I like: Astrae and Saphyrro. I remember when I first stumbled onto them on YouTube...I really wanted to know what language they were singing in, and I searched the net for ages before I finally found out that it wasn't a real language.    

Edited by Neyjour on 02/12/2012 at 3:09pm

Eryiedes
Legend
Legend

Posted: 02/12/2012 at 3:22pm | IP Logged Quote Eryiedes

UTINNI!!!

Hmmm....favorite songs....I honestly can say I have a favorite. Theres just too much out there for me to choose but there are some tunes that really inspire me to be creative. Most of them don't have actual lyrics.
I don't know how to make addy's appear as simply a song title, so please bear with me.

I have recently discovered this band. Georgia Wonder....and (imo at least) I think they are one of the most talented duos to emerge since Jack and Meg. The first one is titled "Fly" and the second "Siren". I have no idea if the rest of their music sounds like the two I posted here but I can't seem to get enough of them. They DO remind me of a modern "Fleetwood Mac".

Fly

Come to Me

I also recently discovered a band from Iceland named "Sigur Ros". Their music may sound like it has lyrics but the few people I spoke to about them claim that what you hear is not the Icelandic tongue but a is in fact, a freeformed festival of non-language sounds that are so melodious its difficult to tell them from the music. I DO know that they have a consistant and crisp sound that I find most relaxing.

Avalon

The next one is typical of the type of music I create to. Most of the music I seem to find infinitely appealing are from movie scores. In this case, from the anime classic "Jin-Roh: Wolf Brigade". I do not know the artist but this "style" of music fills me with both sadness and hope. Words seem to fall from my fingertips whenever there is this level of inspiration to motivate it. There were many good score tunes on the soundtrack for Jin-Roh but this one was my favorite. I still use it regularly for gaming mood music.

Jin-Roh

The Top

While KMFDM is regarded as just another German industrial techno-rock band, they often have very poigniant social commentary in their lyrics. One of their more "enlightening" tunes is Dogma (that I have included below).

Dogma

Haunting melodies also hold true appeal for me. Another industrial band that I like (for their eccentricities with respect to the music process) would be Front 242. They have been a favorite of mine since first hearing them in the 90's. An good example of their music would like the one I included below, named "Crushed (Obscene)". (Unfortunately the end of the song is missing in this clip which is tragic as it is, imo, the best part of the whole song. The second one is titled "Felines".

Crushed

Felines

While the song I had hoped to post here has no entry on youtube it is a wonderful example of good anime mood music. While the songs I truely appreciate from the series had no lyrics, the ending song IS one of the better of the first series. Although not a personal fave, the music used to narrate the combat sequence IS one of my favorites and its titled "Hard Fighting Vision".

Vision Kusen

Curious Girl

Strap on the Wayback Machine for this next one. Unlike everyone else in the world at the time. I was one of the only people to like The Divinyls for their music instead of Christine Amphlett. Don't get me wrong, she was HOT (even though the video doesn't seem too flattering) but I seemed to prefer their less popular music. That "Touch Myself" song really got on my nerves after a while. These other two tunes did not! They are titled "In my Life" and "The Good Die Young"

In my Life

The Good Die Young

I remember mention of "Arabic" music in here somewhere. Hans Zimmer submitted some awesome score music that I still use and listen to. There are too many to list here but Blackhawk Down had a bombshell of a score suite.
I included "Ashes to Ashes" which is in my opinion one of the best from the whole movie. It still haunts me to listen to it. The sadness of its melody is like (to quote some emo-dweeb) a fine wine to my ears. When ever the game switches setting to the desert, it invariably makes an appearance.

Ashes to Ashes

Like I said...there is so much out there but this is just a few off the top of my head.
(I was GOING to post Uriah Heep "The way that it is", but someone beat me to the "hippie music"!)

Stay Free....Stay True.

Edited by Eryiedes on 05/10/2012 at 7:11am

ProBono
Legend
Legend

Posted: 02/13/2012 at 12:59am | IP Logged Quote ProBono

Hi Eryiedes,
FYI - When Adding Hyperlinks...

Can't hack all the loose links...

Neyjour wrote:
Cotton Eye Joe by Rednex is great! That's a remake, isn't it? Do you know who sings the original?

Only know the Rednex version, and didn't realise they were a Swedish Eurodance band, until reading the ...Wiki HERE..., which gives you a list of previous singers further down.

Jeff and Angela van Dyck - Rome Forever -
...From the PC Game of Rome - Total Wars.

"White and Nerdy" - In the video you might have noticed Donny Osmond for only about three seconds, try White and Nerdy greenscreen version and dance along.

More foreign language ones?
Plastic Bertrand
99 LuftBallon ...mis-translated as 99 Red Balloons in English versions.
Springtime for Germany

Mercedes Benz. (A case of like the song, but let's be honest, the voice isn't exactly Shirley Bassey...)

Edited by ProBono on 02/13/2012 at 7:44am

Neyjour
Legend
Legend

Posted: 02/13/2012 at 5:08pm | IP Logged Quote Neyjour

I found the version I know!
Cotton Eyed Joe by Starsound

Plastic Bertrand - Nice song! Very catchy.

99 Luftballons - I really like that one, though I've never heard that version before!

Janis Joplin - I haven't listened to her for years! Me and Bobby McGee is my fave by her.

Eryiedes
Legend
Legend

Posted: 02/13/2012 at 6:11pm | IP Logged Quote Eryiedes

Thanks for the heads up PB.

Hmmm....Janis....I think Bobby McGee is a fine song but it's a bit overplayed. I prefered Bye Bye Baby from her.
As for Nena....C'MON....how could you mention her and not mention Falco ?

Stay Free....Stay True.

Kepli
Djinni (Admin)
Djinni (Admin)

Posted: 02/14/2012 at 5:52am | IP Logged Quote Kepli

????
What happened to some "normal" music like (almost) everything from the 70's-80's and such?
You know ... U2, Simple Minds, Talking Heads, Pink Floyd, Alan Parsons, ELO, Beatles, The Stones, Roxy Music, Michael Jackson, Spandeau Ballet, and lots, lots more

ProBono
Legend
Legend

Posted: 02/14/2012 at 11:54am | IP Logged Quote ProBono

Neyjour wrote:
...post some of your faves! YouTube ... links to the music videos would be best!

Kepli wrote:
..."Normal" music like U2, Simple Minds, Talking Heads, Pink Floyd, Alan Parsons, ELO, Beatles, The Stones, Roxy Music, Michael Jackson, Spandeau Ballet...

We need links, Kepli baby, links. Remember, some
of us have never been able to listen to those bands due
to horse-tranquilisers being unavailable in our area.

Kepli wrote:
...(almost) everything from the 70's-80's and lots ... lots more.

Ahhh.... ProBono remembers the 70's and 80's...
Toyah Wilcox
Adam Ant
...another Ant
Elvis Costello
Hazel O'Connor
Stranglers
Skids
Big Country
Sham 69
...another Sham 69
Couldn't decide on which Sex Pistols or Ten Pole Tudor to post, but have a feeling Kepli didn't mean them when he said 70's and 80's...

Edited by ProBono on 02/14/2012 at 12:06pm

Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version