Dundjinni Mapping Software - Forums : Tips
Subject Topic: ICE_JNIRegistry.dll unavailable; Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Eric of Ptolus
Legend
Legend

Posted: 04/08/2012 at 11:46am | IP Logged Quote Eric of Ptolus

After wrestling with the Dundjinni Installer for a couple of days, I finally got my new Animal Art Pack installed. I kept getting the "ICE_JNIRegistry.dll unavailable" ("No DLL file present in jar bundle...") Popup Error Dialog.

The Dundjinni Store just opened back up for business a couple of days ago, and I am hopeful a bunch of new folks come and check out the tool - and buy some of these excellent Art Packs. If I save even one user from pulling their hair out and gnashing their teeth, then my time is well spent compiling this forum post/thread.

User Account: Me, Eric Blische, with Administrator privileges.
UAC: Used the slider to turn it all the way off. Rebooted numerous time over the course of two days getting this thing to install. (Oops ! ... I better re-enable it now).
Computer: Inspiron Laptop, Windows 7, 64-bit ...

So ... let me show you what I did !
Back to Top View Eric of Ptolus's Profile Search for other posts by Eric of Ptolus Visit Eric of Ptolus's Homepage

Eric of Ptolus
Legend
Legend

Posted: 04/08/2012 at 12:11pm | IP Logged Quote Eric of Ptolus

I was trying to install by double-clicking the jar file in a Windows Explorer. As you can see, I downloaded the Dundjinni-site-provided DLL to my new Art Pack folder (I downloaded my order and unzipped it in place, then unzipped the DLL download to this folder as well).

I also had copied the DLL to C:\Windows, but it didn't matter a bit. Something about the 64-bit OS must look somewhere else (I also tried putting it in C:\Windows\system32, for grins. Still no joy) ... and I don't think a 64-Bit program can use a 32-Bit DLL ...

So, double-clicking started the installer ... sure enough, Version 1.0.7 is clearly indicated ...

I hit the "Next" button which displayed this panel of the installation wizard ...

But it was immediately obscured by the ubiquitous "ICE_JNIRegistry.dll unavailable" dialog ...

... Again ! Grrr.

Here is how I got the Installer to get past this roadblock ...

Back to Top View Eric of Ptolus's Profile Search for other posts by Eric of Ptolus Visit Eric of Ptolus's Homepage

Eric of Ptolus
Legend
Legend

Posted: 04/08/2012 at 12:18pm | IP Logged Quote Eric of Ptolus

I opened a Command Prompt, right-clicking and electing "Run as Administrator" (Aside: Probably not necessary, as I have Administrator privileges). Then I navigated to the folder with the new Art Pack. This is just a textual view of folder illustrated above. Sure enough, the "dir" command verifies ...

Now, consider for a moment that the "ICE_JNIRegistry.dll unavailable" dialog insists the DLL is missing, though (1) it is clearly in the jar file (a jar tvf "Animals Art Pack.jar" proved this), (2) in the folder where the jar is, AND (3) in C:\Windows. This error dialog seems to be Dundjinni installer-specific. I could only find this error in the Dundjinni forum, when Google'ing around.

So I checked my path environment variable. It seemed four-square to me ...

Something might be in the path causing problems with the ICE dll. Who knows. To ensure the ICE dll is picked up before anything else, I added my folder to the FRONT of the path with a simple "set" command.

And verified. Yup, there it is, the new first element in the path ...

What is my default Java, by the way ? I read in similar threads that the Installer requires 32-bit Java to be executed, which you can do on a 64-bit machine, you just need to execute the one in "Program Files (x86)" not "Program Files" (which holds 64-Bit programs). Executing java with the -version command-line argument reveals the version the laptop is configured to execute by default ...

... of course, there are other ways to confirm this, such as going the the Control Panel, selecting Java, and poking around there. But I digress ...

Huh. I don't have the 32-bit Java JRE (nor SDK) version 1.7.0_02 installed. So by default my environment must be pointing to the 64-Bit Java (which is what I'd want, USUALLY)...

Here's a list of the 64-Bit Java versions I have installed, the cursor is pointing to the one that runs by default on my laptop ...

Here's a list of the 32-Bit Java version I have installed, note the x86 in the directory name ...

So I initiated the installation by executing the version of the java command in the 32-bit Java JRE installation (JRE: Java Runtime Environment, a sub-set of the functionality provided by the SDK: Software Development Kit).

I should probably mention that "x86" is just another way of saying "32-Bit", in the Co-processor sub-dialect of the Geek language. But I digress ... again ...

So I executed the jar file (or, more precisely, I executed the Java Class which is indicated in the Manifest File of the Jar File, which would be some proprietary Dundjinni Installer Class), using the 32-Bit version of Java. (Again, note the x86 in the java path in the command) ...

The installer starts up, I hit the "Next" button, as I cross my fingers ...

And VOILA, adding the folder containing the DLL to the "path" environment variable and running the 32-bit version of Java did the trick ! ...

Installation continues without a hitch !! Now I have all the Dundjinni Animal goodness when I run the mapping program !! Sweet !!

Edited by Eric of Ptolus on 04/08/2012 at 12:20pm

Eric of Ptolus
Legend
Legend

Posted: 04/08/2012 at 12:24pm | IP Logged Quote Eric of Ptolus

MOO !!

Bogie
Djinni (Admin)
Djinni (Admin)

Posted: 04/08/2012 at 6:29pm | IP Logged Quote Bogie

Glad you got it working Eric, and thanks for sharing the solution you devised!

Eric of Ptolus
Legend
Legend

Posted: 04/08/2012 at 7:16pm | IP Logged Quote Eric of Ptolus

It was pretty BAAAAAAA-d. I think ewe understand.

Kepli
Djinni (Admin)
Djinni (Admin)

Posted: 04/08/2012 at 10:40pm | IP Logged Quote Kepli

Great ...

Happy mapping

ProBono
Legend
Legend

Posted: 04/14/2012 at 11:54am | IP Logged Quote ProBono

Good stuff Eric Of Ptolus!

FYI:
The MODERN STREETS PACK ran into a similar problem in Windows 7...

...It stuck at the above, but when "Run as administrator" installed perfectly.
Back to Top View ProBono's Profile Search for other posts by ProBono

Eric of Ptolus
Legend
Legend

Posted: 04/14/2012 at 1:13pm | IP Logged Quote Eric of Ptolus

Howdy 'Pro !

Hey, part of the work the Installer does is to save
your installation keys to the Windows Registry. It also
saves the amount of memory to grant to the JVM (Java
Virtual Machine).

In order to write to the Registry, the Installer (a jar
file, which is a java-flavored "zip" file) must be run
in a manner that grants admin rights.

DaraLynx
Henchman
Henchman

Posted: 01/18/2013 at 7:07pm | IP Logged Quote DaraLynx

You're a Genious!!!
Back to Top View DaraLynx's Profile Search for other posts by DaraLynx

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version