Subject Topic: "Improper Installation" issue Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Halebop
Legend
Legend

Posted: 11/03/2005 at 3:56pm | IP Logged Quote Halebop

Hi Sandeman,

99Mb sounds a bit small although although I can't remember how big the Java file originally was on that version. It certainly sounds like something is missing / damaged.

If you go into Add/Remove Programs check to see if the "Change" button appears next to the "Remove" button on the JSE2 installation. If so try hitting Change instead of remove. It will open an installer and give the option to "Remove" or "Modify". You could attempt to remove here but I suspect it won't work. Modifying and keeping the defaults should have the installer attempt to reinstall the application. This could reinstall whatever is missing or broken, but I guess depends on what is broken in the 1st place.

If not then you may need to manually delete Java and edit any associated registry keys. Not fun.   

tchacotaa
Wandering Monster
Wandering Monster

Posted: 11/03/2005 at 5:56pm | IP Logged Quote tchacotaa

I have a question. I hope I haven't missed the answer. I downloaded the the program from this site, have done all the unintalls and reintalls with java as mentioned. At the wizards site, everybody on the forums have not had any problems. One person said they bought the disk instead of the download.

The question is: Is the problem with the download?

how many others here have downloaded the software?
Is anyone who bought the disk haveing problems?

If only people who downloaded the software having problems, would Dundjinni be willing to send us a disk to overcome the problem since we already paid for the software but can not use it?

Hope I have not already missed this answer somewhere back on the other pages.

Back to Top View tchacotaa's Profile Search for other posts by tchacotaa

slashdevnull
Dundjinni Master (Admin)
Dundjinni Master (Admin)

Posted: 11/03/2005 at 6:47pm | IP Logged Quote slashdevnull

Plenty of people have installed the download version without problems.

Sidenote: What might be nice is to have an MD5 sum available for the download, so that people can verify the integrity of the file they downloaded. Of course, they'd also probably have to get some kind of tool that does MD5; I'm not sure if Windows provides one by default.

sandeman
Hero
Hero

Posted: 11/03/2005 at 7:07pm | IP Logged Quote sandeman

Okay, it seems now that I have 1.4.1_05 still on my computer, but the file is 1 Mb. I DL and extracted the link above, and my dundjinni still does not work. How frustrating!

Is there a link where I can go and manually uninstall java from my machine?

Sandeman

Back to Top View sandeman's Profile Search for other posts by sandeman

Halebop
Legend
Legend

Posted: 11/03/2005 at 7:13pm | IP Logged Quote Halebop

Found this at the Sun Forums via Google (search is your friend)...

Sun Forum Link

tchacotaa
Wandering Monster
Wandering Monster

Posted: 11/04/2005 at 4:55pm | IP Logged Quote tchacotaa

slashdevnull wrote:
Plenty of people have installed the download version without problems.

Sidenote: What might be nice is to have an MD5 sum available for the download, so that people can verify the integrity of the file they downloaded. Of course, they'd also probably have to get some kind of tool that does MD5; I'm not sure if Windows provides one by default.

Yeah, that would b good. The only problem I see with downloads is that if you got a bad one and it is already paid for, you have to pay for another with not way of knowing if that one downloaded corectly.
Back to Top View tchacotaa's Profile Search for other posts by tchacotaa

Webmaster Scott
Dundjinni Master (Admin)
Dundjinni Master (Admin)

Posted: 11/04/2005 at 9:01pm | IP Logged Quote Webmaster Scott

tchacotaa wrote:
Yeah, that would b good. The only problem I see with downloads is that if you got a bad one and it is already paid for, you have to pay for another with not way of knowing if that one downloaded corectly.

You can always download it again. Just log back into the store and you can re-download anything you purchased and your reg codes will also be listed.

sandeman
Hero
Hero

Posted: 12/09/2005 at 8:32pm | IP Logged Quote sandeman

Okay, unfortunately I am a retard when it comes to uninstalling this errant Java on my machine. Is there someone who will be able to help me? I still cannot get rid of the 1.4.1_05 java off my machine.

I recall that a while back my AVG said there was a virus there... and quarantined it. Could this be the problem?

I have no idea how to get rid of this from my registry. (That alone scares the hell out of me.)

Any of you know how to do this step by step? I have not been able to use dundjinni for over 2 months now because of this.

Thanks for any help you all can give.

Sandeman

BTW for the record.... in my registry there is these keys:

jarfile
java
javafile
JavaPlugin
JavaPlugin.141_05
JavaPlugin.150_04
JavaScript
JavaScript Author
JavaScript1.1
JavaScript1.1 Author
JavaScript1.2
JavaScript1.2 Author
JavaScript1.3
JavaScriptFile
JavaWebStart.isInstalled
JavaWebStart.isInstalled.1
JavaWebStart.isInstalled.1.4.2.0
JavaWebStart.isInstalled.1.5.0.0
JavaWebStart.isInstalled.2

Do I need to delete these keys? I am deathly afraid to look at this, let alone touch it without help...

I really wanna run my dundjinni again guys!

Edited by sandeman on 12/09/2005 at 9:10pm

sandeman
Hero
Hero

Posted: 12/09/2005 at 10:46pm | IP Logged Quote sandeman

Okay, I managed to erase out the offending 1.4.1_05. I wiped the dundjinni and the dundjinni demo from my drive and regisrty. I did a complete reinstall, tried to load it up, and.... no dice. I am still getting this freaking error!

The only things that I have that is java related is j2se runtime environment 5.0 update 4, and Java Web Start. I was reading the the j2se has a java web start. Is it possible that the Java Web Start is an old version? Can I safely remove that?

I am getting super frustrated, as I have no problems with ANY other application like this.

Sandeman

Halebop
Legend
Legend

Posted: 12/10/2005 at 1:45am | IP Logged Quote Halebop

sandeman wrote:
I recall that a while back my AVG said there was a virus there... and quarantined it. Could this be the problem?

Hi Sandeman, your ongoing problems sound very frustrating! I'm not sure of the source of your problems but the virus sounds like a good start...

So that AVG warning could well be the problem. Chances are the virus was JavaByte or a variant? If so AVG is apparently not very good at removing it. The good news is this virus is ineffective on up-to-date systems because it exploits a flaw in IE that Microsoft subsequently fixed.

I think I've read though that it can replace Java files that in some circumstances leave Java not running properly (or maybe at all). This might be where you are.

I'd ensure antivirus up to date and do a check to to see if it's still there. I fixed a friends computer a year or so ago on a Windows 98 system with the Javabyte virus and the only quick way I found to remove it was to manually delete the folders containing the virus (detroying his Java installation in the process). It took a while to clean up his Java registries but after that I had no problem installing Java again (along with up to date anti-virus registries!).

Not a complete answer I'm afraid but maybe it's another step to try...

sandeman
Hero
Hero

Posted: 12/10/2005 at 12:10pm | IP Logged Quote sandeman

I updated my AVG, and checked, and now there is no virus. Do I uninstall every java app, and delete all the registries?

Then I reinstall Java, and all should be good?

Man, I am sooooo confused.

Jason

sandeman
Hero
Hero

Posted: 12/10/2005 at 5:12pm | IP Logged Quote sandeman

Okay, just on a goof, I checked to see whether Dundjinni runs on my adminstration account. It does. Now I am faced with figuring out why it does not run on my account.

For that matter, I checked to see if IE was working (its not) I have not used it in so long.... I get a runtime error when I try to run IE.

I think that this may have something to do with what is going wrong...

Any ideas guys?

Halebop
Legend
Legend

Posted: 12/11/2005 at 2:19am | IP Logged Quote Halebop

I'm not too sure. I can only imagine IE is broken because of the virus being removed but there seem to be various problems and it isn't clear or obvious that they are related. You might be at a point where it's just cleaner and easier to do a full rebuild but don't take that as advice, just thinking aloud. Personally I try to rebuild my (Windows) PC at least once per year to keep things working nice, fast and clean. Last time I let it run for 18 months between rebuilds and had reached a point where things weren't always working well (not Dundjinni though, it worked fine).

sandeman
Hero
Hero

Posted: 12/11/2005 at 7:58am | IP Logged Quote sandeman

Well, it appears that I am just going to have to create a new account and migrate all my stuff there. <sigh> There is a silver lining in the clouds here. You said you buit windows every year? I have had this comp now for 3 years last month, and it is still my original account. Now if I can figure out how to migrate all my settings there...

Now, just to do the thousands of tutorials to catch up! LOL

Sandeman

slashdevnull
Dundjinni Master (Admin)
Dundjinni Master (Admin)

Posted: 12/11/2005 at 11:24am | IP Logged Quote slashdevnull

A PC that's been virus infected is like a car that's been in a major accident. Even after the major damage is fixed, you can still expect little nagging problems to pop up from time to time. Unfortunately, sometimes the "little" problems can affect you in major ways.

I'd recommend reinstalling Windows completely. Making a new user account and migrating data into it won't fix problems that may exist on the PC outside of the user environment.

Sharplgance
Wandering Monster
Wandering Monster

Posted: 12/27/2005 at 2:24pm | IP Logged Quote Sharplgance

I get the improper installation or missing map message too. I am running Java 1.4.2 and have tried a variety of reinstall uninstall combinations. Nothing works. Please help.
Back to Top View Sharplgance's Profile Search for other posts by Sharplgance

NPCDave
Hireling
Hireling

Posted: 01/02/2006 at 8:14pm | IP Logged Quote NPCDave

I also have the improper installation issue. I have removed all Java programs, uninstalled Dundjinni, and then reinstalled the correct Java (1.4.2) as well as dundjinni. Nothing works. I am using the CD.
Back to Top View NPCDave's Profile Search for other posts by NPCDave

slashdevnull
Dundjinni Master (Admin)
Dundjinni Master (Admin)

Posted: 01/04/2006 at 11:45am | IP Logged Quote slashdevnull

At what point does "nothing work"? Problems with detailed descriptions get solved faster and better than vague ones.

NPCDave
Hireling
Hireling

Posted: 01/06/2006 at 4:57pm | IP Logged Quote NPCDave

My sequence of events after buying the CD-

Install on lap top, it asks if it can install java since I do not have that, I click yes. Dundjinni and java installed.

When I attempt to run dundjinni, the application fails to come up, complaining Dundjinni was improperly installed.

After checking this website, I tried all of the following.

Remove Java, re-install java 1.4.2 from this site. Bring up dundjinni and it fails to open, improper installation.

Remove Java, re-install java 1.5 from this site. Bring up dundjinni and it fails to open, improper installation.

Remove Java and dundjinni. Reinstall java 1.4.2 from this site. Reinstall dundjinni from Cd. Bring up dundjinni and it fails to open, improper installation.

Remove Java and dundjinni. Reinstall java 1.5 from this site. Reinstall dundjinni from Cd. Bring up dundjinni and it fails to open, improper installation.

I have double-checked that all files for Java and Dundjinni are removed. I cleared out all Windows temp files and the pre-fetch buffer. I have repeated the steps of completely removing java and dundjinni and then re-installing in that order several times.

I can never get past the improper installation issue.

As an experiment, I borrowed another laptop which had java 1.5 already installed. I installed dundjinni and the software came up fine. I was able to build maps. So it is not the cd.

I assume the problem began when I allowed the cd to install java, but I don't know what else needs to be fixed after removing the java program. I would rather not have to wipe the hard drive and re-install the OS or buy a new laptop to get this to work.

The laptop is a year and a half old running Windows XP professional.

Back to Top View NPCDave's Profile Search for other posts by NPCDave

heruca
Janni (Moderator)
Janni (Moderator)

Posted: 01/06/2006 at 5:23pm | IP Logged Quote heruca

Have you tried rebooting after uninstalling Java, and/or after installing Java?
Not sure if that'll help, but it might be worth a try.

<< Prev Page of 14 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version