Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Kepli
Djinni (Admin)
Djinni (Admin)

Posted: 07/30/2005 at 12:40am | IP Logged Quote Kepli

Ho Kamawell,

Welcome aboard ...

Did you remove the demo completely? DJ will have problems otherwise. Some people have to go to Sotware under Configuration and remove it there too.
So make sure there is no DJ-residue ( ) of any kind before installing it.

Hope this helps. If not, don't worry, there are enough people on here to help you out    

kamawell
Henchman
Henchman

Posted: 07/30/2005 at 1:25am | IP Logged Quote kamawell

Thanks Kepli

I uninstalled the demo before beginning and I can't see that there's anything left over - searched in the registry too. I've tried a few more things since my previous post including letting DJ install to the default location (I'd tried to put it on a different drive before,) installing DJ without Java on my machine (the installation dialogue says that it will be installed with DJ if it's not already there but I ended up with a message saying the java installation file was missing) and trying various different versions of java. I get the same message every time. Just to check I'm getting the standard message, it says "An error occurred during startup. You may have an inproper installation, or invalid or missing map resources."

Thanks!

Back to Top View kamawell's Profile Search for other posts by kamawell

kamawell
Henchman
Henchman

Posted: 08/02/2005 at 1:41am | IP Logged Quote kamawell

Hi folks

Still can't get this to work
Does anyone have any other ideas please?

Thanks

Edited by kamawell on 08/02/2005 at 1:41am

Halebop
Legend
Legend

Posted: 08/02/2005 at 2:32am | IP Logged Quote Halebop

Hi Kamawell,

That pretty much sucks. Dundjinni is a cool program that creates some very pretty maps once you get it working!

Let's start from the beginning and tell us what:

Your machine is (CPU, RAM)
Operating System and version
Java and version (making sure there is only 1 installed)
What else do you have running that might possible interfere? (which Anti-virus or firewall? Other Java apps? Anything resource heavy? Do you have WinRar?)

Between you, me and maybe someone who actually knows what they're doing hopefully we can get this sorted...
Back to Top View Halebop's Profile Search for other posts by Halebop

Webmaster J.T.
Janni (Moderator)
Janni (Moderator)

Posted: 08/02/2005 at 4:48pm | IP Logged Quote Webmaster J.T.

If you are on a Mac, it may be that the username/reg key do not match. Unfortunately, the Mac installer doesn't validate the key during the install, so you only know that it is wrong when you try to run it. The username and reg key should exactly match what is on the "order details" page in the online store.

kamawell
Henchman
Henchman

Posted: 08/03/2005 at 2:00am | IP Logged Quote kamawell

I'm on a PC rather than a Mac.
My specs are...

Athlon64 3200
1 Gig Ram
Windows XP/SP2
I'm back on Java 1.5.0 - some other programs I use seem happier with that version and changing it to 1.4.2 didn't make any difference.
I use Avast anti virus but switching it off doesn't help.
I have a firewall on my router and nothing currently running on the PC.

Thanks folks!

Halebop
Legend
Legend

Posted: 08/03/2005 at 2:59am | IP Logged Quote Halebop

Well nothing too obvious there Kamawell.

I run the most recent java build and don't have any problems with Dundjinni (although my version is Dundjinni Platinum and I'm not sure of any differences between that and its replacement but imagine they are minor if any).

Maybe JT or someone from Fluid might be able to comment but I thought the error message received on a conflict between Demo and full version was similar to the one you have experienced?

So it could perhaps be some sort of registry problem - perhaps something got left over when the Dundjinni Demo was uninstalled or even a previous Java insallation? The full version of Dundjinni definately has problems with the Demo so something assoicated with this previous installation could be the go. Digging through your registries isn't fun but the answer might lie there. Perhaps a registry cleaning app will do the trick?

Edited by Halebop on 08/03/2005 at 2:59am
Back to Top View Halebop's Profile Search for other posts by Halebop

Webmaster J.T.
Janni (Moderator)
Janni (Moderator)

Posted: 08/03/2005 at 4:59pm | IP Logged Quote Webmaster J.T.

I my memory serves me correctly, there are a couple common situations that will lead to this error message. Please add to this list if you know of another:

* Bad username/reg key combination. Likely to only happen on the Mac because the installer does not validate them, and it will happen every time you try to run Dundjinni.
* You have more than one version of Java on your system. Likely to only happen on the PC, and with one of the versions of Java being pre-1.4.2. Will happen every time you try to run Dundjinni.
* You have added "genre" folders to the Map folder, but not included an empty (placeholder) Tokens folder. Or, you have moved around some folders and in the process removed an expected Tokens folder. Will happen intermittently, and is fixed by removing the "bad genre".

There may have also been a problem with an old version of the demo, but I am not sure. The current demo should co-exist with the full application, as far as I know.

In general, make sure you have the latest Dundjinni patch (currently 1.0.4) and the latest version of Java available for your platform.

kamawell
Henchman
Henchman

Posted: 08/04/2005 at 7:54am | IP Logged Quote kamawell

Thanks for the replies.

Dealing with the points in order...

I've searched the registry manually and, after uninstalling Dundjinni, checked for any mention of DJ or Fluid. I'm not keen on running automated registry editors on a system that is (apart from DJ) running smoothly. If there are reg entries in unusual places perhaps someone would be kind enough to list them.

I bought the download version of DJ and have just copied and pasted the username and key from the invoice.

I've carefully removed and reinstalled old and new versions of Java and no variation has worked. I definitely do not have two versions installed.

I haven't changed or added any folders. I've just (repeatedly) installed and tried to run the program.

As the .exe file I downloaded is called DJ_PC_104 I assume it its already patched.

Thanks

Andy

kamawell
Henchman
Henchman

Posted: 08/05/2005 at 7:08am | IP Logged Quote kamawell

Halebop wrote:
Anything resource heavy? Do you have WinRar?)

I missed this question before    I do have Winrar - is that a good thing or a bad thing?    

<< Prev Page of 28 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version