Subject Topic: "Improper Installation" issue Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Kepli
Djinni (Admin)
Djinni (Admin)

Posted: 08/05/2005 at 7:55am | IP Logged Quote Kepli

Hi Kamawell,

Nope, it's just that WinRar could be associated with .jar-files. Is that the case, then you can't install them with JAVA. You can check this in the WinRar under Settings->Integration.

slashdevnull
Djinni (Admin)
Djinni (Admin)

Posted: 08/05/2005 at 9:00am | IP Logged Quote slashdevnull

kamawell wrote:
I missed this question before    I do have Winrar - is that a good thing or a bad thing?    

I'm glad that someone asked that question. In my experience, I have yet to find much of anything legitimate on the 'net that was compressed with WinRAR. It's generally used by people illegally sharing movies or war3z. It doesn't surprise me that WinRAR seems to break Java when it's installed.

I'm not calling everyone who uses WinRAR a thief. However, I do question the integrity of the operating system and application files on pretty much any computer that has WinRAR installed.

My opinion. Everyone else's will most likely conflict.

kamawell
Henchman
Henchman

Posted: 08/05/2005 at 12:02pm | IP Logged Quote kamawell

slashdevnull wrote:
kamawell wrote:
I missed this question before    I do have Winrar - is that a good thing or a bad thing?    

I'm not calling everyone who uses WinRAR a thief. However, I do question the integrity of the operating system and application files on pretty much any computer that has WinRAR installed.

My opinion. Everyone else's will most likely conflict.

I'm not quite sure what to say after that post. I suppose I'm quietly angry      I know you're not calling me a thief but really it's a pretty odd thing to say to a chap who's legitimately bought a product and is still patiently waiting for a helpful response from the developers in the only support channel they provide. If it had come from a regular member of the forum I probably wouldn't have thought twice about it but it seems strangely tactless coming from a moderator.

I'd like to thank Halebop and Kepli again for their interest in my problem. I also appreciate JT taking the time to post however, having been through the shopping list of possible causes, I don't seem to be any nearer to finding the answer. I don't want to be another person asking for a refund - I want to be another person buying every art pack in sight
Back to Top View kamawell's Profile Search for other posts by kamawell

slashdevnull
Djinni (Admin)
Djinni (Admin)

Posted: 08/05/2005 at 2:39pm | IP Logged Quote slashdevnull

kamawell, my apologies if I offended; it wasn't my intent.

I fix computers pretty much all day, every day. And, while I love the internet, I'm disappointed to see what happens to the average Windows PC within a few minutes of it being placed online, and especially after a longer period of time, when people start downloading and installing just about everything that they can find out there. Almost all of the most borked machines that I see have WinRAR installed on them, and usually a bunch of files named something like "TheMatrixReloaded.RAR". A lot of the posts we see on these forums from people whose computers are acting weird point to WinRAR.

Regardless of that, it probably was unfair of me to make such a categorization, regardless of my experiences with and around PCs with WinRAR installed. I'd probably be offended if people started making statements like "everyone whoe had DeCSS installed is a movie thief". (DeCSS is software used to decode the information on DVDs, so that you can watch them.)

So, my apologies if I offended. As I said, it wasn't my intent. And, if anything, feel free to treat me like everyone else on these forums. My Moderator status pretty much just gives me the ability to clean up spam and so forth. I'm not a Fluid employee, or anything like that.

kamawell
Wandering Monster
Wandering Monster

Posted: 08/05/2005 at 2:58pm | IP Logged Quote kamawell

Don't worry about it! I apologise for over-reacting. I'm just touchy because I've been trying to run Dundjinni for a week now and I can't. I'm all excited because I bought Fantasy Grounds for some online roleplaying and Dundjinni was to be a perfect fit for making some really nice maps and it's just not working out.

Steve
Wandering Monster
Wandering Monster

Posted: 08/05/2005 at 3:21pm | IP Logged Quote Steve

The error message you are getting is generally caused by missing or invalid files in the "Map" or "Res" subdirectories. The most common cause of this, as noted, is due to user-management of files that moves or modifies something in an incompatible way. If you were getting an error code type message, that would imply a registration key error or similar problem.
The problem you are having *shouldn't* occur on a new install. But apparently it is anyway. Try this: Uninstall the product. If the demo is still there, uninstall that. Now, go to C:\Program Files\Fluid and delete this entire folder tree if it still exists.
Possibly, something is getting left behind that is causing a problem.
Run "RegEdit" (registry editor) and find HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Fluid, and delete this entire key tree from the registry.
Install again, and see if that helps.
One other thing: Install and run this as Administrator (or with a user with Administrator privileges) if you aren't already doing this.

-- Steve
Back to Top View Steve's Profile Search for other posts by Steve

dDemonicAngels
Janni (Moderator)
Janni (Moderator)

Posted: 08/05/2005 at 7:38pm | IP Logged Quote dDemonicAngels

Kamawell, Although Steve posted as a Wandering Monster, he is pretty much the powers-that-be when it comes to DJ code and stuff. He posts about once every six months. (All hail, Steve! <<echoes of oohs and aahs from the peanut gallery>>) Consider yourself blessed that he has stepped down from high to help. (Or cursed because he thinks you've got a hopeless cause...)

If you didn't understand the RegEdit bit, someone else (probably slashdevnull when he was in a less grumpy mood) wrote a post giving excellent detailed explanations. You can find it using a search on the Forums for "RegEdit". Also note the extensive warnings that come with playing with the registry.

Best of luck...

Edit: Forum Search for RegEdit posts

Edited by dDemonicAngels on 08/05/2005 at 7:44pm
Back to Top View dDemonicAngels's Profile Search for other posts by dDemonicAngels

slashdevnull
Djinni (Admin)
Djinni (Admin)

Posted: 08/05/2005 at 8:00pm | IP Logged Quote slashdevnull

Yeah, it looks like Steve gets to post now that the latest patch is in the beta testers' hands. Must be nice to have a breather.

kamawell
Henchman
Henchman

Posted: 08/06/2005 at 1:49am | IP Logged Quote kamawell

Thanks for the replies everyone.
I have tried what Steve suggested before but I've just done it another couple of times now just to be on the safe side but still no joy. I'm sure by now you must be thinking I'm doing something wrong (and maybe I am!) but I've followed the instructions carefully

Just in case it's an indicator of anything, the error message appears as the DJ is showing 'creating dialog components.'

There are a lot of files in the 'Map' and 'Res' folders - certainly too many to ask for a list so that I can check they're all there - but are there any specifically the program checks on startup?

If I could install the program on a friend's PC and get it working would there be any chance that copying the entire 'Fluid' folder and it's subfolders and pasting them over my own installation would help - or is that a bad idea?

Thanks

Andy

Webmaster J.T.
Janni (Moderator)
Janni (Moderator)

Posted: 08/08/2005 at 5:08pm | IP Logged Quote Webmaster J.T.

The installation puts some things in the registry that are needed when the program starts, so simply copying the files from another computer would not help. Steve brings up a good point, which is make sure you install as administrator.

I am begining to run out of ideas.

<< Prev Page of 28 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version