Dundjinni Mapping Software - Forums : Bugs
Subject Topic: "Improper Installation" issue Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Cadence
Wandering Monster
Wandering Monster

Posted: 09/23/2005 at 10:41pm | IP Logged Quote Cadence

I've got a problem that hasn't been discussed here yet.

I'm trying to install, and I'm not able to finish the install because I don't have java on my PC. The install says it's going to install jre-1_5_0-windows-i586.exe, but then gives me a message that it can't find it.

Where can I download java to install dunjinni?

Thanks.
Back to Top View Cadence's Profile Search for other posts by Cadence

Halebop
Legend
Legend

Posted: 09/24/2005 at 5:00am | IP Logged Quote Halebop

Hi Cadence,

That one is much asked too! (or also just not asked because people don't get what they are missing).

The Dundjinni Updates/Support page has a link. I've been kind though and provided it here:

http://www.dundjinni.com/info/files/jre-1_5_0_04-windows-i58 6-p.exe

You can also get it from the official source, Sun's www.java.com

Happy mapping!

Ayrk
Hero
Hero

Posted: 10/27/2005 at 6:50am | IP Logged Quote Ayrk

Has any progress been made on this?

I fired up DJ the other day and got this error for the first time. I have run DJ dozens of times and made many maps. But now, nothing. I haven't added anything to DJ, it just stopped working.

I'm running Win XP Pro, with SP2 and all the latest patches. I've removed every version Java on my set and I've removed DJ. I pulled all Fluid and Java references from my registry and physically deleted the directories. I've rebooted and then reinstalled 1.4.2 and DJ (many times) and every single time I get the improper installation error when I start the program.

So any progress or thoughts?

Thanks.

Erik
Back to Top View Ayrk's Profile Search for other posts by Ayrk

Halebop
Legend
Legend

Posted: 10/27/2005 at 2:52pm | IP Logged Quote Halebop

Hi Ayrk,

I've had Dundjinni installed since the software became available and had no installation problems bar some sort of error when I installed the campaign pack on a much earlier version of the program. I recently rebuilt my PC and felt some trepidation when it came to installing Dundjinni again from scratch based on comments I've seen here. But Dundjinni came through without a scratch and installed correctly and ran first time.

What this tells me is that Dundjinni runs correctly on a clean machine. What it doesn't tell me is why it isn't running on everyones' machines.

I suspect the eventual culprit will be a 3rd party application but here's what I can tell you:

I'm running XP, Service Pack 2 on a modest 1.7ghz machine with 1gig of RAM.

Video Card is an MSI GeForce 4200 Ti. Some people have experienced video card problems although not enough to kill Dundjinni (I think).

I used the most recent version of Java, not 1.4.2. Try that, maybe it makes a difference? Also, I definately only have 1 version of Java installed. I've only once had Dundjinni not fire up on command and that's when Java installed a 2nd copy of itself by stealth (Allegedly an update - why it needed to install the whole fricken thing again I have no idea?!).

I don't have many junk applications running nor do I have Microsoft Java Virtual Machine running (I'd place that in the junk app category). If for some reason you need to use MSJVM it maybe that it is switched on and Sun Java has been switched off. Check both your internet settings and your Sun Java consol (in Control Panel) to see if this is the case.

Who really knows how Java works anyway? I'm not sure the Sun developers always know either. I don't have many Java specific applications loaded, just PCGen at the moment (loving the current production version, very few bugs). One day people with problems might have to start listing everything they have installed so we can narrow it down. The unfortunate truth, irrespective of if its Fluid's/Dundjinni's fault is that the problem lies with something on your PC and not on mine, which implies it's not directly a Dundjinni problem.

Ayrk
Hero
Hero

Posted: 10/28/2005 at 6:28am | IP Logged Quote Ayrk

Thanks, I'll try again this weekend. The only thing I think I've installed since the last time I used it was Konfabulator. I'll take that out and see if it makes a difference.

The kicker is I used some Dundjinni battlemaps a few sessions ago and now those lousy players are clammering for more. They get disappointed when I roll out the old wipe-off battlemat.

Edited by Ayrk on 10/28/2005 at 6:28am

BBlackmoor
Wandering Monster
Wandering Monster

Posted: 10/28/2005 at 1:07pm | IP Logged Quote BBlackmoor

slashdevnull wrote:
In my experience, I have yet to find much of anything legitimate on the 'net that was compressed with WinRAR. It's generally used by people illegally sharing movies or war3z. It doesn't surprise me that WinRAR seems to break Java when it's installed.

This is an extremely ill-informed opinion.

a) Modern compression utilities like WinRAR and 7-ZIP compress between 20%-50% better than archaic formats like Zip. Any competent computer user switched to WinRAR or 7-Zip a couple of YEARS ago.

b) WinRAR does not "break Java". That's simply absurd.

This installation problem with Dundjinni has one source: Dundjinni. I can't even install it my machine, because it attempts to detect whether Java is installed (it is), it fails at that attempt, and then it incorrectly attempts to install Java again. A well-behaved application does not attempt to make these sorts of changes to the user's system. A well-written application does not have the installation fail for no reason.

I have heard that Dundjinni is a wonderful program. When this current installation bug is fixed (make no mistake: this is a bug, and not a small one), I look forward to finding that out for myself.

--
bblackmoor@blackgate.net
2005-10-28
Back to Top View BBlackmoor's Profile Search for other posts by BBlackmoor

BBlackmoor
Wandering Monster
Wandering Monster

Posted: 10/28/2005 at 1:26pm | IP Logged Quote BBlackmoor

BBlackmoor wrote:
I can't even install it my machine, because it attempts to detect whether Java is installed (it is)...

To be more specific:

Code:
java version "1.5.0_03"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_03-b07)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.5.0_03-b07, mixed mode, sharing)

Back to Top View BBlackmoor's Profile Search for other posts by BBlackmoor

Ayrk
Hero
Hero

Posted: 10/31/2005 at 7:24am | IP Logged Quote Ayrk

Well I tried the reinstall and it didn't work, even after removing Konfabulator. So I'm giving up on that PC.

I put it on my older one (P4 800), and it failed, but after I removed Java 5 and put on 1.4.2 it worked, so I'm functional just slower.

Hopefully this bug can be tracked down eventually and squashed.

Sandeman
Wandering Monster
Wandering Monster

Posted: 11/03/2005 at 3:21pm | IP Logged Quote Sandeman

Okay, I have a serious problem, I think.

I have uninstalled all versions of Java on my machine, except for 1.4.1_05, and it will not uninstall for me!

I have tried it through win xp's add/remove programs, and it goes through the motions, and does not dissapear.

So, I now have a version of Dundjinni that will not work for me... !

My specs...

1.8 Ghz P4
Win xp
512 Mb Ram
Cable internet
Nvidia 256 Mb Graphics card

The file is saying that it is 99 Mb, and no matter what I do, I cannot run this program! So now, I cannot map.

Anyone able to help?
Back to Top View Sandeman's Profile Search for other posts by Sandeman

Webmaster Scott
Djinni (Admin)
Djinni (Admin)

Posted: 11/03/2005 at 3:52pm | IP Logged Quote Webmaster Scott

What about trying to install the version of Java available from this site? Can you install it over the current one to get it to work?

Your machine is pretty similar to mine and I was able to get Dundjinni to install fine once I installed the version available here. I did have an old version of Java and it seems to have installed over it.

<< Prev Page of 28 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version