Subject Topic: Tavern by R.S. Robertson Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
R.S. Robertson
Hero
Hero

Posted: 08/01/2012 at 9:06am | IP Logged Quote R.S. Robertson

Thanks aegean!

This is the first floor WIP of Trotter's Inn. Trotter's Gyll is a small border town, the last "civilization" before the wastelands. The town itself is a bit wild as its development is owed entirely to the two military outposts that straddle King's Gate, which guards the only pass between the civilized world and what lies in the blasted lands on the other side. There are good people there but they are harder, more cynical and less likely than most to pay lip service to the king.

The inn is fairly prosperous (though apparently it can't afford or locate any more chairs) because it is the only inn for about 1000 miles and it does a booming business. The owner is a member of the "resistance" and is what is called (in my world) a Facilitator. A kind of middle man for the underground with a wide variety of connections. Facilitators basically help provide the means for people to do things that aren't exactly legal or that require secrecy.

Edited by R.S. Robertson on 08/01/2012 at 4:19pm
Back to Top View R.S. Robertson's Profile Search for other posts by R.S. Robertson Visit R.S. Robertson's Homepage

Bogie
Djinni (Admin)
Djinni (Admin)

Posted: 08/01/2012 at 2:08pm | IP Logged Quote Bogie

I moved your map here so you will have the option to use the ZIP file Upload function.

The uploading problem is because maps are not normally uploaded in the Social Forum. I moved your post here to the Map Forum. When you post here you will see a new button to the right of the upload button that looks like a file with a vise clamp on it. That is the Zip Upload button.

Second problem is the DJA file won't do anyone else any good unless their file structure is identical to yours.

That works only if you made the map with just the art that comes with DundJinni. Everyone has those files. But since you used a lot of the cool member posted art your directory won't match mine.

When you exported the map, did you use the "Export as Jpeg" or did you "Export as Bitmap" and then convert it to Jpeg yourself?
When you export to jpeg all you get is a low-res jpeg, when you export to bitmap, you can pick any DPI up to 200 dpi. I find that 100 dpi gives a good balance of decent quality resolution and reasonable render time.
200 dpi is phenomenal resolution, but can take forever to render & export.

Once you export to .bmp you will have a big file (46 to 50 MB at 100dpi), open the file with any photo editing program, and crop and save to Jpeg. The file size will drop to a few MB. You may have to fiddle with the image size and resave to get under the 2MB Zip file size limit.

Let me know if you need any other help with that.

Edited by Bogie on 08/01/2012 at 2:12pm

R.S. Robertson
Hero
Hero

Posted: 08/01/2012 at 3:49pm | IP Logged Quote R.S. Robertson

Makes sense, and honestly I should have known about the file structure thing as my file structure is insane!

I believe that I saved it as a jpg, lemme try again... HOLY SMOKES that takes forever!

Okay, here's the zip (I hope). BZE_Trotters_Inn_Web.zip

Interestingly, once I imported it at that size into Photoshop, I was really able to see all the mistakes I made... more than I care to think about actually.
Back to Top View R.S. Robertson's Profile Search for other posts by R.S. Robertson Visit R.S. Robertson's Homepage

Bogie
Djinni (Admin)
Djinni (Admin)

Posted: 08/01/2012 at 9:11pm | IP Logged Quote Bogie

Great job. Nice to see all the details. You are being to hard on yourself, I don't see any significant mistakes.

The only thing that stands out to me is that the heavily traveled paths should show the wear and tear.

kurtyboh
Henchman
Henchman

Posted: 08/01/2012 at 9:26pm | IP Logged Quote kurtyboh

I would say it's pretty good, with the exception that it appears
nobody ever goes there
Back to Top View kurtyboh's Profile Search for other posts by kurtyboh

aegean
Legend
Legend

Posted: 08/01/2012 at 10:45pm | IP Logged Quote aegean

Hey! its just for the brochure ok!

Yup, worn paths, post work in photoshop / gimp

Excellent first map.

R.S. Robertson
Hero
Hero

Posted: 08/02/2012 at 6:58am | IP Logged Quote R.S. Robertson

It's morning, everything's been all cleaned up. See the breakfast plate there on the bar? Oh, and somebody thought it would be funny to steal the chairs from the main room!

I did a road that ran past the front of the inn and some paths to all the important places, even some warn areas where people might hang out... but they looked awful so I got rid of them. They stood out too much.

So how do I do post work in PS? I mean, can I use the fills from DJ in Photoshop?

Visual Fugue - Art Interweaving Life

Bogie
Djinni (Admin)
Djinni (Admin)

Posted: 08/02/2012 at 8:25am | IP Logged Quote Bogie

Mostly I use PS to add shadows or darken areas, but you can use the clone and smudge tools to tweak little defects.

The clone/copy tool can be used add textures and objects. Just open the art you want to add and use the clone tool to copy onto the map.

Cisticola
Legend
Legend

Posted: 09/11/2012 at 10:59pm | IP Logged Quote Cisticola

Excellent!! love the layout...really well thought out. if you want to do all the cool stuff learn PS or like me GIMP. But it takes time, honestly a map in DJ is good enough for gaming! & this ones brill

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version