Dundjinni Mapping Software - Forums : Questions
Subject Topic: Adding custom tiles Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Kingslayer
Henchman
Henchman

Posted: 10/10/2012 at 8:40am | IP Logged Quote Kingslayer

Hey, I was thinking about buying Dundjinni with the aims to create a starship layout for a possible sci-fi game I'd be running, and downloaded the demo to test the software. I have a (rather large) pack of mapping objects from other sources, including floor textures for sci-fi environments. I tried adding them to Dundjinni, and while I got them to appear in Dundjinni (added them into /Fantasy/Custom/Floor), I could only place them as objects, not as a floor texture. They were the right size (200x200) and file type (png), and as far as I know they were made for the purpose of terrain tiles. Does adding your own floor tiles require some more procedures, or is it just impossible in the demo version/altogether?

Another quick question about the art packs. I'd be interested in the modern art pack. Is there a possibility for some sort of preview of the sort of items included in the pack?

That said, I really liked what I saw about the demo, and if the issue with adding floors can be resolved, I'm definitely looking forward to purchasing it.
Back to Top View Kingslayer's Profile Search for other posts by Kingslayer

Cisticola
Legend
Legend

Posted: 10/10/2012 at 10:38am | IP Logged Quote Cisticola

Hi kingslayer

If you go into the Dundjinni file > Map > Fantasy > User
you wil see lots of different files. In each of these is a properties file which tells DJ how to use the art. So if you want the item to tile as a wall put it into the wall file or if you make your on files copy this properties file over.

Also to get a series of tiles to tile correctly they need to end with -a, -b, -c, -d & so on.

Hope that helps. Someone will be along to answer your other question.

Bogie
Djinni (Admin)
Djinni (Admin)

Posted: 10/10/2012 at 10:48am | IP Logged Quote Bogie

Hi Kingslayer, welcome to the Forums.

I'm not sure if the Demo allows you to add outside art or not, but the full version does. Almost all the art I use is User created.

In the Full version, you can't add art to the directories that come with DJ, you have to make your own directory and subdirectories. You also have to be careful to copy the right ~Properties files into each subdirectory as that is what tells DundJinni whether the art in that subdirectory is an object, a floor tile, a wall etc.

When you do decide to purchase DJ, be sure you do not buy the DVD copy. You want to buy the DOWNLOADABLE Dundjinni ver 1.0.7 as there is no one available to mail the DVD ( The store is flying on autopilot ). The same is true if you buy any of the artpacks.

There are numerous posts on installing DJ you should read some before installing.

Most important info is
1 You must uninstall the DEMO before you do anything.
2 You need to turn off Windows User Accounts Control through the Windows Control Panel before installing. You can turn it back on after if you wish.
3 When you install it will default to installing under C:\Program Files, but for many people it runs better if you install it straight to the root directory C:\
4 After installing the program you can install any artpacks. They should self install.
But for user art you need to go into Windows Explorer or My Computer and create the new directories then copy the ~Properties files from the directories that are already there. Be careful to copy the file from object to object, doors to doors, walls to walls etc. It makes no difference what you name the directories but DJ looks at the ~Properties file to sort the art.

If you are going to use a lot of user art it helps to get organized before you start.

This is what my directory tree looks like showing the Castle artpack and the Dungeon directory that comes with DJ. The DJX files are proprietary to Dundjinni.:

This Screenshot shows my User2 File with all my downloaded art. There are other ways of doing it, but this is what works for me. Note the ~Properties file at the top of the 2 screenshots.

Happy mapping and ask for help if needed.

Edited by Bogie on 10/10/2012 at 11:01am

Kingslayer
Henchman
Henchman

Posted: 10/10/2012 at 10:58am | IP Logged Quote Kingslayer

Cisticola wrote:
Hi kingslayer

If you go into the Dundjinni file > Map > Fantasy > User
you wil see lots of different files. In each of these is a properties file which tells DJ how to use the art. So if you want the item to tile as a wall put it into the wall file or if you make your on files copy this properties file over.

Also to get a series of tiles to tile correctly they need to end with -a, -b, -c, -d & so on.

Hope that helps. Someone will be along to answer your other question.

I feel really dumb now for completely missing the "user" folder in the map directory. That fixed it pretty much instantly. The tiling thing is good to know too, though my standard metal floors don't seem to have more than one different type.

Bogie wrote:
Hi Kingslayer, welcome to the Forums.

I'm not sure if the Demo allows you to add outside art or not, but the full version does. Almost all the art I use is User created.

In the Full version, you can't add art to the directories that come with DJ, you have to make your own directory and subdirectories. You also have to be careful to copy the right ~Properties files into each subdirectory as that is what tells DundJinni whether the art in that subdirectory is an object, a floor tile, a wall etc.

When you do decide to purchase DJ, be sure you do not buy the DVD copy. You want to buy the DOWNLOADABLE Dundjinni ver 1.0.7 as there is no one available to mail the DVD ( The store is flying on autopilot ). The same is true if you buy any of the artpacks.

There are numerous posts on installing DJ you should read some before installing.

Most important info is
1 You must uninstall the DEMO before you do anything.
2 You need to turn off Windows User Accounts Control through the Windows Control Panel before installing. You can turn it back on after if you wish.
3 When you install it will default to installing under C:\Program Files, but for many people it runs better if you install it straight to the root directory C:\
4 After installing the program you can install any artpacks. They should self install.
But for user art you need to go into Windows Explorer or My Computer and create the new directories then copy the ~Properties files from the directories that are already there. Be careful to copy the file from object to object, doors to doors, walls to walls etc. It makes no difference what you name the directories but DJ looks at the ~Properties file to sort the art.

If you are going to use a lot of user art it helps to get organized before you start.

This is what my directory tree looks like:

Happy mapping and ask for help if needed.

Thanks for the tips and info on the properties file. There's no editing needed for the properties files, I take it? I can just copy the file from the appropriate folder to the new one when creating new directories?

Thanks for the help, both of you
Back to Top View Kingslayer's Profile Search for other posts by Kingslayer

Bogie
Djinni (Admin)
Djinni (Admin)

Posted: 10/10/2012 at 11:03am | IP Logged Quote Bogie

Kingslayer wrote:

Thanks for the tips and info on the properties file. There's no editing needed for the properties files, I take it? I can just copy the file from the appropriate folder to the new one when creating new directories?

Thanks for the help, both of you

You are correct. While you were responding I was editing my post and I added more info so re-read it.

Bogie
Djinni (Admin)
Djinni (Admin)

Posted: 01/05/2013 at 9:59pm | IP Logged Quote Bogie

PLEASE NOTE THE STORE IS NOT FUNCTIONING PROPERLY. THERE ARE NUMEROUS POSTS ABOUT THIS. READ THE WARNINGS BEFORE ATTEMPTING TO PURCHASE DJ.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version