Dundjinni Mapping Software - Forums : Maps
Subject Topic: Feedback wanted: Night and day camp Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Julix
Henchman
Henchman

Posted: 04/13/2014 at 6:14pm | IP Logged Quote Julix

These files were too big to upload here (about 9 mb each) so I put them on google drive, hope that's OK. Would like feedback on the map. I obviously still have lots of texture work to do. Resolution is 70 pixels / square, as it's made for use on Roll20.

Night

Day

Related files are found here: https://drive.google.com/#folders/0B8Dvxp_JebLnUVMxbElkOUZ4T jg

Low res version for display purpose

Edited by Julix on 04/15/2014 at 3:42pm
Back to Top View Julix's Profile Search for other posts by Julix

Bogie
Djinni (Admin)
Djinni (Admin)

Posted: 04/13/2014 at 8:45pm | IP Logged Quote Bogie

Nice work Julix! Welcome to the Forums.

It is helpful for people to see a lower res version of your map before they click on a link to go offsite, so I have edited your post and added that for you.

In case you don't know, the posting limits are 500KB for jpg & png images and 2MB for Zipped files.

Constructive Criticism:
I am not a fan of the yellow grid. My preference if you want a grid is to go black or green. If you want to use yellow, you could tone it down so it is less detracting from your nice artwork.
If the grid scale is the usual 5ft per grid, then the campfire is 12 feet across, when it looks more like it should be 5ft.
Otherwise, it is looking very nice.   

Edited by Bogie on 04/13/2014 at 8:47pm

Julix
Henchman
Henchman

Posted: 04/13/2014 at 9:24pm | IP Logged Quote Julix

Actually my travelers are goblins which are Small (half as tall) which is 1/4 of medium in 2D sense. To make them feel like the world is huge I often make the map twice as big, and set the roll20 distance to 2.5 ft / square. A human would take up 4 squares rather than one. But I've considered doing another version of this for normal use. - I rather agree with the the grid being distracting from the art. This is a battle map, so I didn't think about it right away, but I guess it could be used as a normal map, so I'll see if I can pull off a grid-less version.

Edited by Julix on 04/14/2014 at 10:47pm

danielpryor
Legend
Legend

Posted: 04/14/2014 at 12:46pm | IP Logged Quote danielpryor

Bogie wrote:

Constructive Criticism:
I am not a fan of the yellow grid. My preference if you want a grid is to go black or green. If you want to use yellow, you could tone it down so it is less detracting from your nice artwork.

I actually do one of two things, put down a %33 transparent color down that matches the hue of most of the map or I use %20 transparent light grey.
Back to Top View danielpryor's Profile Search for other posts by danielpryor Visit danielpryor's Homepage

Julix
Henchman
Henchman

Posted: 04/14/2014 at 10:29pm | IP Logged Quote Julix

Really good idea... what I did instead was so much more work. I did the opposite. I took the average green tone and put it UNDERNEATH everything... the grass w/ a few trees on it that I started out with had the grid, but having worked on it most my layers were heavily transparent. So I added the olive green underneath only to realize how many "holes" I have without those bushes I had been working around and parts where I integrated the original grass. So I added more pieces. So much work and the result feels kinda naked (i.e. less bushes, haven't found those particular ones yet so I could just throw them back where they were on the base layer). On the upside now everything on the map was put there by me. Still working on it.

But I might try the color transparency fix, too.

kdturman
Henchman
Henchman

Posted: 04/15/2014 at 7:17am | IP Logged Quote kdturman

Nice work!

My suggestions (i'm a mapping newbie so take this with a grain of salt):

1. Not sure on the capabilities of the dunjinni program so I don't know if this is a usable tip. What I like to do for lighting/night scenes is create a top layer that is a solid black color, turn the opacity down to like 40%. This makes a "shroud" over the scene. Then use an eraser tool to erase a portion of that layer so its not shrouded anymore.

I often pair that technique with the selector tool, selecting the portion of the shroud layer, then erase it - for example a torch on the wall. you don't want to erase the "shroud" that lies within the wall, just the shrouded portion within the hallway. select a portion of the hallway with a square selector tool, switch to eraser tool, and erase as needed.

2. I agree with the previous comment concerning the grid, less is more! Also, it could have been extended to cover the road a bit in case the encounter gets out of hand :-)

all in all solid work!
Back to Top View kdturman's Profile Search for other posts by kdturman

Julix
Henchman
Henchman

Posted: 04/15/2014 at 8:43pm | IP Logged Quote Julix

Despite posting in the dundjinni forum, I have yet to actually use that software. I just love you guys - i.e. it's community. I'm a photoshop guy, but since I never tried Dundjinni I can't say I wouldn't love it if I did have it.

Anyways, I went ahead and started at the bottom layer again, and redid the entire grass to be less transparent. high resolution result in the google folder shared in first post. Figure it might be useful for other people who want a ground for their forest.

Low res preview of generic forest ground

Edit: just noticed the yellow here - didn't see I still had that on outside of the screen. it's not in the real pictures.

Edited by Julix on 04/15/2014 at 8:52pm

Bogie
Djinni (Admin)
Djinni (Admin)

Posted: 04/15/2014 at 9:31pm | IP Logged Quote Bogie

Nice background!

Originally all the maps done here were made in DundJinni, but over the years a lot of them have been made with other software.

We love maps however they were made

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version