Dundjinni Mapping Software - Forums : Questions
Subject Topic: Cost Effective Printing??? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Spoondoggy
Hero
Hero

Posted: 09/05/2004 at 1:32pm | IP Logged Quote Spoondoggy

I am sorry if I missed this answer on another forum or if this is a stupid question but could someone please help me find a more cost effective way of printing out a battle map without paying Kinko's a hundred dollars a map or burning through all my ink cartridges on my printer??? . Any help would be greatly appreciated and many thanks in advance!!!
Back to Top View Spoondoggy's Profile Search for other posts by Spoondoggy

Medic
Hero
Hero

Posted: 09/05/2004 at 5:03pm | IP Logged Quote Medic

If it's for a one-time combat, you could print in 'draft' mode. Prints quicker & uses less ink. It's a little more pale, typically, but should be good enough. You can print a 4"x6" photo at Walgreens for 29 cents. I don't know what the price is for an 8"x10" (their web site doesn't have that information). Even at 10x the price of a 4"x6", that's less than $3 for an 8x10... What is the price for Kinkos?

Medic
Hero
Hero

Posted: 09/05/2004 at 5:49pm | IP Logged Quote Medic

Ah, found it. $3.99 for an 8x10 print. You can upload images via the web-site, and then pick the print up at a local Walgreens. Walgreens.com has the details (this link has some info:
http://www.walgreensphotocenter.com/personality/help/8.asp

Alynnalizza
Legend
Legend

Posted: 09/05/2004 at 6:21pm | IP Logged Quote Alynnalizza

My experience with Kinkos has been 89 cents per 8.5 x 11 Full color on picture grade paper. Quality has been outstanding as well.
Back to Top View Alynnalizza's Profile Search for other posts by Alynnalizza Visit Alynnalizza's Homepage

Medic
Hero
Hero

Posted: 09/05/2004 at 6:34pm | IP Logged Quote Medic

Then that seems the way to go. Cool

slashdevnull
Djinni (Admin)
Djinni (Admin)

Posted: 09/05/2004 at 7:31pm | IP Logged Quote slashdevnull

I print all of my maps at home, on my inkjet printer. I've learned that printing at high quality doesn't really add anything to the quality or enjoyment of the game, so I print at regular quality to decrease the print time and the amount of ink used.

I print my maps onto multiple 8.5x11" pages (battle maps) on decent inkjet paper, mount each to a piece of 110lb. cardstock using 3M Photomount Adhesive spray glue. I then trim off the white edges using a straight edge and an X-Acto knife. This makes great maps fairly quickly with very little additional work and at a relatively low cost.

I simply place these map pieces on the table, edge-to-edge, and place a clear plastic sheet over them to keep them from sliding around. The plastic sheets were Webmaster J.T.'s suggestion in a previous thread. You can find them at various office supply stores.

I've also printed directly to cardstock, but the prints always look faded when I do that. Additionally, I've used prints not mounted to cardstock under a plastic sheet, but they are more difficult to line up under the plastic, since they tend to curl at the edges.
Back to Top View slashdevnull's Profile Search for other posts by slashdevnull

slashdevnull
Djinni (Admin)
Djinni (Admin)

Posted: 09/05/2004 at 7:35pm | IP Logged Quote slashdevnull

Additional: I just finished running a game session tonight (the introductory Eberron adventure from the back of the book). One of the players was new to my game, and asked where I bought such quality maps for the game. One of the other players was quick to point out that I had used Dundjinni, and created such high-quality work myself. I thought that this was both a testament to Dundjinni and my map tile creation process.
Back to Top View slashdevnull's Profile Search for other posts by slashdevnull

Spoondoggy
Hero
Hero

Posted: 09/06/2004 at 3:15pm | IP Logged Quote Spoondoggy

First of all, Thank you for all the great ideas .
One last question, Once I save the image of my map to jpeg and take it to Kinko's will their printers give me the same options to print it out in 16-8.5x11 sheets or do I have to do something special before I get there? Also how do you break up the map if I would try the method using the photo method from Walgreene's? Again thank you all for all the information .
Back to Top View Spoondoggy's Profile Search for other posts by Spoondoggy

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version