Dundjinni Mapping Software - Forums : Adventures
Subject Topic: Rusty Cage Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Halebop
Legend
Legend

Posted: 09/16/2004 at 6:23pm | IP Logged Quote Halebop

This has been one of my favourite maps for a long time! Nice job.
Back to Top View Halebop's Profile Search for other posts by Halebop

slashdevnull
Djinni (Admin)
Djinni (Admin)

Posted: 09/17/2004 at 6:23am | IP Logged Quote slashdevnull

Thanks.

For those of you waiting for the .DJA file to be posted, I suppose I can put it up now. It's still not done, as I've been dealing with a lot of RL foo lately (looks like my company's doing a huge layoff sometime in the next week or two - yay :P).

I'll update the original post with a zipped DJA.
Back to Top View slashdevnull's Profile Search for other posts by slashdevnull

slashdevnull
Djinni (Admin)
Djinni (Admin)

Posted: 11/29/2004 at 9:25pm | IP Logged Quote slashdevnull

So, I realize that almost every single one of you has been lying awake at night thinking, "When is Slash gonna finish that darn module? He promised us a module!"

Good news: I'm ready to put you all to sleep with my completed (or as close to completed as it's likely to get) version of Rescue from Rusty Cage.

This most recent version is fairly verbose, features artwork that most of you probably have installed as DJX's from Art Packs (in other words, no additional lost sleep doing conversions), and uses Dundjinni 1.04 and the included D20 SRD 3.5. A slightly customized stylesheet was used for the PDF, as a proof of concept that users such as we can actually make or at least modify stylesheets for Dundjinni. I'll probably start working on some stylesheets with subdued backgrounds, border images, etc., next, and apply it to this and maybe some other modules.

Please download it and let me know what you think. If it has any glaring mistakes, I'd like to fix them. I've been a little too close to this project myself to notice the discrepancies, or missing bits, at this point.

Without further ado:

The DJA file:
594_Rescue-DJA.zip

The adventure, in PDF format:
48Z_Rescue-PDF.zip

Eric of Ptolus
Legend
Legend

Posted: 01/07/2005 at 5:53am | IP Logged Quote Eric of Ptolus

Ths really is a nice little module you've authored. Do you have access to Adobe Acrobat ? I am curious as to how you output the module to PDF format. Is there a Dundjinni add-on (extra, plugin) that supports this ?

I looked at buying Acrobat for personal use but it was like 500 bucks. Do you know of a freeware (or non-cost-prohibitive) alternative ?

Thanks ! I am also a fan of that nice map. I wish DJ had an output mode that put the room keys (the room numbers) without the shading, as the room shading seems to make it hard to see the details beneath (by room shading I mean, one room is glazed yellow, then green, then pink, then cyan - you know, when you are making keyed rooms). I have tried alternatives such as adding room numbers as Text, or, adding room keys (tokens) but not selecting the whole room - just the square with the number. I'm not sure either "cheat" is right.

Maybe the option IS on the export dialog, where you can check or uncheck: treasures, tokens, doors, etc. I need to check on that !

(I checked but did not find an obvious way to do this)

Edited by Eric of Ptolus on 01/07/2005 at 5:55am
Back to Top View Eric of Ptolus's Profile Search for other posts by Eric of Ptolus Visit Eric of Ptolus's Homepage

slashdevnull
Djinni (Admin)
Djinni (Admin)

Posted: 01/07/2005 at 6:53am | IP Logged Quote slashdevnull

First, thanks. I appreciate appreciation.

I do have a full version of Acrobat on my Windows PC, and I believe that's what I used to create the PDF files. If anyone knows of a free PDF maker for Windows that's free of spyware/malware, etc., please feel free to post it here. It should be software that supports a "print to PDF" feature, rather than just file conversion, since most converters only handle things like MS Word files, and won't understand Dundjinni's DJA file format.

Mac OS X users should be able to create PDFs from Dundjinni easily, and for free. PDF creation is integrated into the oprating system through the "Preview" app (available through any Print dialog). Linux users (not that they're running Dundjinni on Linux, but...) should also be able to create PDFs for free with all of the fine tools available in that OS.

Adobe has an online tool that allows you to convert files to PDF, but unfortunately, as it's a converter, I don't think it'll handle Dundjinni files.

If anyone wants a PDF of their finished adventure created, please just ask, and I'll be more than happy to help out. Just don't send me half-completed adventures, please.

I've been considering re-doing that PDF file so that it includes battle maps in addition to the color-coded DM map included. Then again, you can make your own battle maps from the DJA, so I guess I'll just let the PDF sit as is.

slashdevnull
Djinni (Admin)
Djinni (Admin)

Posted: 01/07/2005 at 6:59am | IP Logged Quote slashdevnull

I just found this: CutePDF Writer. I'm not sure how well it works, or if it's spyware-ridden or not, but it's free, and works as a "print to PDF" device in Windows.

http://www.cutepdf.com/Products/CutePDF/writer.asp

It looks like it uses ps2pdf and ghostscript, which I'm a little familiar with from Linux. So, there you go. Give it a try!

Edit:
Some quick additional research indicates that CutePDF is not known to contain spyware, and that according to their FAQ: "As part of our commitment to personal privacy, none
of our products contain any form of Adware or Spyware".

Edited by slashdevnull on 01/07/2005 at 7:02am

robby
Henchman
Henchman

Posted: 01/07/2005 at 6:59am | IP Logged Quote robby

Very nice map. I'm going to check out the adventure, too. I like the concept.

Cute PDF is a decent (free) PDF generator. Basically, anything you can print, you can create a PDF of.
Back to Top View robby's Profile Search for other posts by robby

robby
Henchman
Henchman

Posted: 01/07/2005 at 6:59am | IP Logged Quote robby

Heh. Beaten to the punch ... by what, seconds?

:)
Back to Top View robby's Profile Search for other posts by robby

Cecil
Janni (Moderator)
Janni (Moderator)

Posted: 01/07/2005 at 7:01am | IP Logged Quote Cecil

If you do happen to wrap everything together in the PDF file, I'll host it (I figure that the battlemaps would cause it to grow out of the forum's attachment limit).
Back to Top View Cecil's Profile Search for other posts by Cecil Visit Cecil's Homepage

slashdevnull
Djinni (Admin)
Djinni (Admin)

Posted: 01/07/2005 at 7:06am | IP Logged Quote slashdevnull

So, with all of this sudden attention on "Rescue", I urge people out there who have not downloaded it yet to check it out. The PDF makes it easy for anyone to use, regardless of whether or not they have Dundjinni installed, and for those with the current version DJ, you should not have any issues with custom art, as I believe that it has none.

If you find any glaring problems with the module, or even a typo or room for grammatical improvement, please fele free to let me know.

I'm moving this thread from the Maps section to the Adventures section, since it seems more appropriate at this point.

Edited by slashdevnull on 01/07/2005 at 7:08am

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version