Dundjinni Mapping Software - Forums : Feedback
Subject Topic: Art packaging Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Jarec
Hireling
Hireling

Posted: 09/30/2004 at 12:16am | IP Logged Quote Jarec

Are there any plans to release a tool to allow user art to be packaged as Dundjinni art sets rather than as individual PNG's. It would make it a lot easier to install large themed art sets this way.

Edited by Jarec on 09/30/2004 at 12:16am
Back to Top View Jarec's Profile Search for other posts by Jarec

shadowchaser
Legend
Legend

Posted: 09/30/2004 at 12:48am | IP Logged Quote shadowchaser

The guys from Fluid will be doing the Userart Packaging themselves, or AFAIK ask some fans to do it.
They do not plan to release a tool that can make DJX files from PNG for obvious reasons:
If they were to, it would be way to easy to reverse-engeneer the coding process and thus you could simply 'steal' their protected artwork.

Back to Top View shadowchaser's Profile Search for other posts by shadowchaser

bakermail
Legend
Legend

Posted: 09/30/2004 at 2:47am | IP Logged Quote bakermail

There are some very nice user art packs in beta now.

Philippe
Henchman
Henchman

Posted: 09/30/2004 at 7:02am | IP Logged Quote Philippe

One thing that I would like, if possible (and that I feel is lacking very much from dundjinni), is a preview of the contents in a .pdf file for example.

To make my request more clear, one my my problems with the art .djx art packs is that it is fairly difficult to know what is in there. You need to open the preview pane and to go over it section by section to get ideas.

I don't have that problem with user art, as I simply open an explorer window and I can view thumbnails of all the art.

But if user art becomes packaged in .djx, I will lose that capability.

So what I would suggest is simply to paste thumbnails of the art and put them in a .pdf. That way you have a complete gallery of the available art and you can leaf through it easily.

I would of course suggest that fluid does the same for the official art packs. A relatively low quality pdf would preserve the original art but would be very useful in knowing all the possibilities.

Cheers,

Philippe
Back to Top View Philippe's Profile Search for other posts by Philippe

slashdevnull
Djinni (Admin)
Djinni (Admin)

Posted: 09/30/2004 at 7:31am | IP Logged Quote slashdevnull

The way I might like to see it done (and as a moderator in the User Creations forums I might be able to arrange this) is to have a moderated forum thread dedicated to each User Art Pack where all of the PNG files are displayed, so that everyone can easily know what they're getting in each pack, before or after they download it.

Having User Art pack art available as .DJX isn't going to, as far as I know, make the original .PNGs unavailable.
Back to Top View slashdevnull's Profile Search for other posts by slashdevnull

slashdevnull
Djinni (Admin)
Djinni (Admin)

Posted: 09/30/2004 at 7:40am | IP Logged Quote slashdevnull

Additional: The User Creations section of the forums currently has three sections, Maps (JPG and DJA files), Adventures (HTML and DJA files), and Objects and Textures (PNG files).

J.T. and Mindy, if this isn't what you were already planning, I suggest the creation of another section called User Art Packs (DJX files with installers), which is moderated (no user posts) with a formal format/structure to allow quick and easy browsing of User Art Pack content. I'm usually not a proponent of user read-only forums, but I think that implementing it this way would reduce the amount of browsing/searching that people will need to do in order to find exactly what they're looking for.

I'm willing to work on format/structure definition. Hopefully Darkness is with me on this.
Back to Top View slashdevnull's Profile Search for other posts by slashdevnull

jdale
Legend
Legend

Posted: 09/30/2004 at 9:46am | IP Logged Quote jdale

Since I'm a big fan of the PNG format (easy to modify, easy to browse in Windows Explorer), I want to also suggest that you can easily create a zip file which contains a directory structure. You could set it up to create a directory tree and put all the files (including ~properties files) in the correct directory. All the user would have to do is unzip it in the correct place (which could simply be the Dundjinni program folder). For example, in WinRAR you just have to create the zip with the setting "Store Relative Paths" and unzip without checking the "Extract without path names" box (unchecked by default).

You would still need to decide on a directory structure (but anyone who downloads all the art needs to do that anyway), but you wouldn't need to convert to DJX. You would gain the benefit of one step installation and everyone who uses the pack having the same art in the same places with the same filenames.

This is fairly standard for art distributed in the Poser community.
Back to Top View jdale's Profile Search for other posts by jdale Visit jdale's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version