Dundjinni Mapping Software - Forums : Questions
Subject Topic: Using MsWord for basic art Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Kepli
Djinni (Admin)
Djinni (Admin)

Posted: 01/07/2005 at 6:01pm | IP Logged Quote Kepli

Im using a Dutch version of MsWord 2003, but I think everything is recognizable.

This text will give you some idea what can be done with MsWord to create some shapes, tiles and patterns. It is by no means complete, but that would take too long. Please post any questions you have in this topic.

A couple things to start with:
     Make sure the measure unit is in points (Extra Options General);

Make sure the Drawing Toolbar is visible (View Toolbars);

Activate the grid with f.i. 25 points for the horizontal and vertical distances.

Now pick what you would like to use from the Autoform Basic form or Lines. When you hold the SHIFT-key while drawing a figure it stays the same in dimensions.

Example with these two figures.

Next you can use this figure to make sample drawings. Select the figure, hold the CTRL-key and copy it. Do this a few times to create working material. To create a lot of them, select a few holding the SHIFT-key and the press the CTRL-key to copy them all.

Rearange them any way you like. The grid will make them fit together most of the time. Use the rotation options when needed (there is also a free-rotation). When they do not fit together properly, uncheck the grid while putting it together or put a smaller number of points in the grid settings.

Now select a figure and use the fill option in the drawing toolbar to add some color or texture and maybe use the line options to create another color and/or width for the lines. Do this for all of them. You can also remove the lines. Just play a little with it. To copy the makeup from one figure to others, select the figure, choose the Brush icon (on the right side of the Paste icon) and click on another figure ... voila.

The bottom brown one is done using the Freeform lines over the top one and them copy its makeup.

Now select all the figures and copy them to the clipboard. I then use a program like IrfanView (freeware) to select only the needed part and create a tile or create a figure with the png-extention.

After that, you add texture with another program or you post it and let others worry about the textures.

See also the following links:
Example of combining blocks
Example patterns

Questions?

Edited by Kepli on 01/08/2005 at 12:51am

dDemonicAngels
Janni (Moderator)
Janni (Moderator)

Posted: 01/07/2005 at 7:04pm | IP Logged Quote dDemonicAngels

Kepli, it's pretty hard to impress me with MSWord. But I can't believe what you've managed to do. Very nice. I would never have thought something like this was possible. Color me astounded.

Back to Top View dDemonicAngels's Profile Search for other posts by dDemonicAngels

Kepli
Djinni (Admin)
Djinni (Admin)

Posted: 01/08/2005 at 1:06am | IP Logged Quote Kepli

And that was only the beginning ...
Here are some old maps I made before DunDjinni (all MsWord, with some imported textures) .

A Black&White cave.

A cave room in color.

A dungeon room in color. Hmm, these seem to be some problems with copying some parts. They show up as grey blocks or white lines or a wrong color (the small pool of slime beneath the upper-right coffin), but I think you will get the idea.

Edited by Kepli on 01/08/2005 at 4:40am

dDemonicAngels
Janni (Moderator)
Janni (Moderator)

Posted: 01/08/2005 at 4:06am | IP Logged Quote dDemonicAngels

<sound of jaw dropping> Unbelievable. I never would have thunk it.
Back to Top View dDemonicAngels's Profile Search for other posts by dDemonicAngels

Ninja-to
Hireling
Hireling

Posted: 01/12/2005 at 3:16am | IP Logged Quote Ninja-to

Reminds me of Jurassic Park. "Nature will find a way."

Substitute 'Crazy computer dude' for 'Nature'.
Back to Top View Ninja-to's Profile Search for other posts by Ninja-to

Kepli
Djinni (Admin)
Djinni (Admin)

Posted: 01/12/2005 at 3:56am | IP Logged Quote Kepli

Thanks Ninja-to (I think). I made these before I knew about Dundjinni and other programms like it.

What about this?

The rigth side actually stops at the river's right side. Made this on 9 pages of MsWord (landscape) so I could use a grid of 1 inch x 1 inch. It looks better in real life (he, he)

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version