Dundjinni Mapping Software - Forums : Questions
Subject Topic: Making engraved tiles the easy way Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Kepli
Djinni (Admin)
Djinni (Admin)

Posted: 02/15/2005 at 6:14am | IP Logged Quote Kepli

If anything is still unclear, let me know ...

Making textures is easy, just use Texture Maker and play around some time with it. The free version can make 320x320 tiles, so large enough for our purpose ... making 200x200 tiles ...
In this tutorial I will give the specific functions I used in Texture Maker for these floor tiles.

But first I need some engravings ...
I use MsWord ... yes you read it right, MsWord.

Step 1: Choose Points in the Tools-Options-General-Measurement Units. Activate the grid with 200 pixels horizontal/vertical (Drawing toolbar, option Draw-Grid)

Step 2: draw a square and fill it with a color or a special filling (choose Fill Effect from the bucket options). I use two colors and activate Diagonal Down.

Step 3: deactivate the grid and choose Autoshapes-Lines-Scribble from the Drawing toolbar.
TIP: we are going to use Scibble a lot, so drag the Lines box into your document.

Step 4: use scribble to draw the shapes you like in the filled tile. Each shape must be made with 1 line and closed. The filling will be automatically white.

Step 5: when ready, fill the first shape with a color or colors. Next select each other shape (or all) and press F4 to fill each the same way.

When you want larger cracks, you can draw smaller shapes into the last ones and fill these with another color. I usually pick the same color as the backgroud, but please ... experiment.

Step 6: Select the whole thing by activating the arrow in the Drawing toolbar (Select Objects) and use it to draw a box around your tile. This will select all shapes at once. Choose No Line from the Line Color option in the Drawing toolbar.

Step 7: now I use Irfanview (freeware) to paste the complete selection and resize it to 200x200 pixels. This can ofcourse be a lot of other programs.
Save it.

Step 8: open your saved tile in Texture Maker and use the following functions in this order (press F9 to activate the function):
Bump - Fast Shader
I like to make the engravements stand out, but depending on the chosen colors, you have to activate or deactivate the Invert Heightmap checkbox.

Noise - Variate
Noise - Scratch 3x
Noise - Tears 1x-3x (depends on the colors used)
Noise - Erosion
Color - Brightness 1x-3x (depends on the colors used)
That's it.
Result with the example:
or

Edited by Kepli on 02/15/2005 at 6:19am

gop!
Henchman
Henchman

Posted: 04/16/2008 at 6:56pm | IP Logged Quote gop!

Awesome. And just because no one is commenting doesn't mean we don't appreciate your tutorials! More please.   

PS: I followed the tute exactly but didn't manage to get the small white cracks, mine were all straight lines. There must be something in texture maker that does that which I haven't found...

Edited by gop! on 04/16/2008 at 7:28pm
Back to Top View gop!'s Profile Search for other posts by gop!

Kepli
Djinni (Admin)
Djinni (Admin)

Posted: 04/17/2008 at 6:14am | IP Logged Quote Kepli

Wow, that brings memories ... can't believe I used to create tiles this way back then
It still looks nice enough though and you don't need a lot of specialized programs.

Not sure how those cracks were created anymore

Cisticola
Legend
Legend

Posted: 04/17/2008 at 6:31am | IP Logged Quote Cisticola

....Awesome Kep ....

....Glad this tut was bumped...I always struggle with
making tiles

aegean
Legend
Legend

Posted: 04/17/2008 at 8:17am | IP Logged Quote aegean

we need more tuts - anychance of separate threads for 3d progs and render engines?

Kepli
Djinni (Admin)
Djinni (Admin)

Posted: 04/17/2008 at 8:32am | IP Logged Quote Kepli

Just create them and we will make them into Stickies

heruca
Janni (Moderator)
Janni (Moderator)

Posted: 04/17/2008 at 8:37am | IP Logged Quote heruca

Kepli wrote:
Not sure how those cracks were created anymore

Is it done via the Noise--Tears parameter?

Kepli
Djinni (Admin)
Djinni (Admin)

Posted: 04/17/2008 at 10:15am | IP Logged Quote Kepli

That would be my guess as well ... will check in a moment

Kepli
Djinni (Admin)
Djinni (Admin)

Posted: 04/17/2008 at 10:17am | IP Logged Quote Kepli

Yep, it's the Noise - Tears function

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register