Dundjinni Mapping Software - Forums : Maps
Subject Topic: Printing Maps Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Tranquocjones
Hireling
Hireling

Posted: 02/26/2005 at 10:44am | IP Logged Quote Tranquocjones

I've seen some of you talking about sending maps to Kinko's to be printed. How do I go about this? Is there a size limit (in terms of mb)? Does Kinko's require a certain format (.bmp)?

I want to make some "generic" style maps that I can re-use for random encounters. What would you recommend that they be printed on? Is there any surfaces available that can be drawn on with wet-erase pens that won't ruin the map afterwards?

thanks in advance
Back to Top View Tranquocjones's Profile Search for other posts by Tranquocjones

Lathanm
Hero
Hero

Posted: 02/26/2005 at 11:18am | IP Logged Quote Lathanm

Kinkos has an application on their website that will convert the image to a printable format. Export the map as a bmp then corp and size it in you favorite graphics app first. Kinkos and most other print services will not resize your images for you so make sure the map is exactly what you are wanting before sending it to them.

Kinkos can and often is expensive to have prints done at. Check you local phone book for large format printers or sign shops. Most are about half the cost and they are a little more knowledgeable so they can help you get exactly what you want. Also you can try doing a Google search on large format printing. I just sent a design off as a test to http://www.imagers.com/ and the print is costing me $40 including shipping for a 24x36" laminated print. The same thing at Kinkos was $80. For the 4 days it takes to get the print I think the $40 savings it worth it.
Back to Top View Lathanm's Profile Search for other posts by Lathanm

benwax
Legend
Legend

Posted: 02/26/2005 at 11:29am | IP Logged Quote benwax

Hey man! Glad to have you onboard!

What I do (and it's just one way of doing it) is to print my files to adobe acrobat format from within Dundjinni (you can use Adbobe 6.0 or the free CutePdf program) Make sure you set the page margins to 8.5 x 14 inch legal (that way you can print out fewer sheets, and get more margin space). Use print preview to see how much margin space you have, and move / shrink / tweak / rotate your image to get it on as few sheets as possible.

Save the files to somewhere safe where you can find it later, and then go to Kinko's site and download their free file prep tool. Then, open the acrobat file, and choose print again, and this this time choose as your printer the Kinko's file prep tool. This will convert the adobe file into an uploadable Kinko's format. Choose your page range to send (which may require that you send a large map in separate chunks since some pages may be blank)and this will upload to Kinko's.

You then choose where to print, the paper type (28lbs is best) and color/single sided. Pretty self explanatory from here. Pick up pages, ensure they were printed right, cut with a sharp blade, tape, done!

I then place my DJ color maps on the table, and place a thin piece of plexiglass over the top. I got mine off of ebay, but I'm sure it's available from OfficeMax or the like. I make sure a grid is on my maps, so I don't need it on my plexiglass. You could do it vice-versa though. You can draw on plexiglass with water soluble markers, but beware dry erase pens which usually don't work. A fine tip sharpie or an etching tool can put a grid into your plexiglass.

That's it in a nutshell...somewhat convoluted, and I'm sure it can be done more easily. You could upload a large bmp file or bring in one to Kinko's on disk, and have them print it out on a large plotter, but that is VERY expensive, can't be done at all stores, and can take days to have done.

Good luck!

BenWax
Back to Top View benwax's Profile Search for other posts by benwax

Kepli
Djinni (Admin)
Djinni (Admin)

Posted: 02/26/2005 at 11:47am | IP Logged Quote Kepli

Why oh why did you have to ask that Tranquocjones ... Didn't you know that BenWax would get nuts about this and start ranting about KINKOS again ... Just do a search on "KINKOS" and you know what I mean ...

On the subject ... exporting the DJ drawing to PDF seems like a good idea in any case. I can probably find a printshop like Kinkos here, but I'm not ready for that yet. It is however nice to know there is that option. Using a piece of plexiglass is also a very good idea.
I still don't know for sure how I want to play, but a friend has bought a beamer, so ...

benwax
Legend
Legend

Posted: 02/26/2005 at 10:23pm | IP Logged Quote benwax

It's funny that everyone has picked up on my obsession with Kinko's. In college, a lady at the local branch in Houston, Tx was very...let's just say "unpretty".

My wife and I used her as a reference point on comeliness from then on....whenever we say an unflattering thing about someone, we always ask, "was he/she as ugly as the Kinko's lady?" Not the nicest thing to say, but I save my niceness for the DJ forums, not real life.

An inside joke, and one that makes me smile whenever I walk toward my branch here in Minneapolis.

But I promise, with all the gods of Hackmaster as my witness, that I will never utter the word "Kinko's" again

BenWax
Back to Top View benwax's Profile Search for other posts by benwax

Halebop
Legend
Legend

Posted: 02/26/2005 at 10:54pm | IP Logged Quote Halebop

LOL. Cool. From now on if I want an indication of someone's looks I'll ask "How Kinko are they?"!
Back to Top View Halebop's Profile Search for other posts by Halebop

Kepli
Djinni (Admin)
Djinni (Admin)

Posted: 02/27/2005 at 1:47am | IP Logged Quote Kepli

If someone reacts to that, you know it's a fellow Dundjinneer ... (or they know BenWax and you run away immediately ). I don't think it will work here ...

Larksmann
Henchman
Henchman

Posted: 09/11/2005 at 5:45pm | IP Logged Quote Larksmann

Quote:
Is there any surfaces available that can be drawn on with wet-erase pens that won't ruin the map afterwards?

I got a sheet of plexiglass. I put the plexiglass on top of the grid, then use dry erase markers to draw the hills, cliffs, walls, trees, water, blah blah blah... then erase it when I'm done with a tissue.
Back to Top View Larksmann's Profile Search for other posts by Larksmann

Doomstar
Henchman
Henchman

Posted: 02/16/2006 at 10:58am | IP Logged Quote Doomstar

I have a Kinko's at my school that does all the kinko print services for 50% of the cost(large format stuff gets sent out...and takes a few days). If there is a college near you, check out if they have their own print service. The Kinko's I go to doesn't ask for ID so even if you are not a student there you might be able to make use of the print service.
Back to Top View Doomstar's Profile Search for other posts by Doomstar

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version