Dundjinni Mapping Software - Forums : Feedback
Subject Topic: Rules for commercial publishing Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
slashdevnull
Djinni (Admin)
Djinni (Admin)

Posted: 12/06/2006 at 11:25am | IP Logged Quote slashdevnull

From what I understand, what you propose is OK with the current Dundjinni use restrictions. Also, if you are not aware, Dundjinni just recently changed ownership, and the new owner is revisiting the restrictions on use to see if they can be made less restrictive for commercial use.

Under the current restrictions, if the map/gameboard that you use utilizes only community-submitted artwork, then you are free to do whatever you want with it commercially.

Cecil
Janni (Moderator)
Janni (Moderator)

Posted: 01/25/2007 at 12:33pm | IP Logged Quote Cecil

First, I apologise for taking something public that should be written in private. Unfortunately, I have received no response to multiple emails over a very long period of time. I will post my request here and in the user art forum.

As you may know, a publisher cannot use a trademarked term in a product utilizing the d20 (and perhaps the OGL--I'd have to double-check) license without written permission from the owner of said license.

I would like to include a comment at the beginning of a product using any DJ art (aside from the Fluid-developed material) that essentially states "I'd like to express my appreciation to the contributors on the Dundjinni user-art forums." Right now I have a rather bland thank-you to the developers and contributors of my favorite mapping program, which comes across rather lame.

As a second request, I would like to move the archives from the GM's Parlor over to the GM Syndicate website. This would allow me to only update one site rather than two. (and quite honestly, it would provide an incentive for us to keep the archives updated).

Thanks!
Cecil

jdale
Legend
Legend

Posted: 01/26/2007 at 7:13pm | IP Logged Quote jdale

Anything that encourages Cecil to update the archives should be heartily encouraged!

pmjdebruijn
Hireling
Hireling

Posted: 07/09/2007 at 11:33am | IP Logged Quote pmjdebruijn

Say,

I would want to publish a free PDF. And wouldn't want to include the Djinni compas, or explicitly state the "Created by" stuff near the artwork.

Will explicitly mentioning Dun Djinni in my Colophon (which _is_ the proper place to attribute folks) do?
Back to Top View pmjdebruijn's Profile Search for other posts by pmjdebruijn

Scissor Prince
Henchman
Henchman

Posted: 09/28/2007 at 10:03am | IP Logged Quote Scissor Prince

Here is a question for ya... and I am going to be very explicit:

If I create a map from an adventure (published by Paizo for example) using Dundjinni art.. and:

1.) I post it on my own personal website
2.) It's a completely free download
3.) It contains Dundjinni's compass rose symbol
4.) The adventure publisher, Pazio, offers no objection

Is this infringement?

The need for clarification is because there is some vagueness concerning whether the restricition about posting copyrighted materials on Dundjinni forums, and the requirement to have a license for re-sale are the same issue.

Many people wish to convert publish adventures into battlemaps. They wish to share their work completely free of charge, and make no money off of them whatsoever. They respect that you don't want it on Dundjinni's own forums. Does this constitute infringement?

Back to Top View Scissor Prince's Profile Search for other posts by Scissor Prince

heruca
Janni (Moderator)
Janni (Moderator)

Posted: 09/28/2007 at 10:12am | IP Logged Quote heruca

I believe that would still be in infringement, because you're using DJ art.
Note that, for example, all the maps made for Goodman Games by Benwax
use only user art or DotW art.

When DJ changed ownership, we were told there may be changes to the
EULA to make it less restrictive, but I haven't heard anything since.

Scissor Prince
Henchman
Henchman

Posted: 09/28/2007 at 11:10am | IP Logged Quote Scissor Prince

heruca wrote:
I believe that would still be in infringement, because you're using DJ art.
Note that, for example, all the maps made for Goodman Games by Benwax
use only user art or DotW art.

When DJ changed ownership, we were told there may be changes to the
EULA to make it less restrictive, but I haven't heard anything since.

Thank you for the reply! I confess that's a bit disappointing, but I understand why the EULA is in place.

If you have an opportunity to ask the 'new' Powers To Be if there's going to be a change, I'd much appreciate it. I think this an application of the application that users would enjoy (and thereby draw more users).

I'll let people know in the meantime.
Back to Top View Scissor Prince's Profile Search for other posts by Scissor Prince

Kepli
Djinni (Admin)
Djinni (Admin)

Posted: 09/29/2007 at 2:32pm | IP Logged Quote Kepli

I think any new art-packs will have a different EULA, but I am also curious if the old art-packs will and can get an updated EULA ...

DarthTolkien
Henchman
Henchman

Posted: 10/17/2007 at 5:09pm | IP Logged Quote DarthTolkien

A friend of mine owns a hobby store. He wants to generate traffic (and obviously revenue) to his store. He wants to put on a DnD tournament. He has asked me to create the maps with Dundjinni. There will be an entrance fee. The map(s) generated by Dundjinni would be used as a tool in the tournament.

Although revenue would not be generated directly from the Dundjinni map(s), revenue would be genrated none the less. Is this an infringement?

BTW: This event is only in the very begining planning stages and is far from coming to fruition.

Edited by DarthTolkien on 10/17/2007 at 5:11pm
Back to Top View DarthTolkien's Profile Search for other posts by DarthTolkien

heruca
Janni (Moderator)
Janni (Moderator)

Posted: 10/17/2007 at 9:27pm | IP Logged Quote heruca

I would think that's OK, since the maps aren't being sold or distributed. But
I'm not an authority on the subject.

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version