Subject Topic: The New People Post Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Kepli
Djinni (Admin)
Djinni (Admin)

Posted: 07/29/2012 at 11:15pm | IP Logged Quote Kepli

Welcome aboard R.S.

If you need help with Dundjinni or making your maps, let us know.

R.S. Robertson
Hero
Hero

Posted: 07/30/2012 at 7:41am | IP Logged Quote R.S. Robertson

Don't worry Bogie, I've had the program for a few weeks now (can't remember exactly how long off the top of my head... time flies at my age) and I've learned the hard way to write everything down when it comes to downloads... and back up the download! I lost half a novel and the outlines for the two that followed it when my computer committed suicide last year... everything gets a hard copy these days.

Thanks Bogie and Kelpi for the welcome.... oh and help, help, help! ;)

Actually, I am willing to trade free web space for help on my maps if anyone is interested... I need lots of help or I get bogged down in playing with the map rather than actually writing.

Back to Top View R.S. Robertson's Profile Search for other posts by R.S. Robertson Visit R.S. Robertson's Homepage

Bogie
Djinni (Admin)
Djinni (Admin)

Posted: 07/30/2012 at 8:48pm | IP Logged Quote Bogie

Glad to hear you are up and running with DJ. If you have any questions just ask. It is easy to use, but there are lots of tricks that take time to learn.

Are you looking for someone to help you use DJ to make your own maps, or are you looking for someone to make maps for you? It also helps to specify what kind of maps you are looking for. For example, I do my best work on Battlemaps, buildings, Dungeons, caverns, small outdoor maps. I'm not to good at regional or city maps. Knowing what you are looking for helps others decide if they can help.

R.S. Robertson
Hero
Hero

Posted: 07/31/2012 at 12:11pm | IP Logged Quote R.S. Robertson

I am almost finished with the first floor of my first map, an inn, in DJ. It's not great by any stretch of the imagination, but the layout is pretty much what I had envisioned when I started writing the scene it's in (other than I imagined the main room to be a bit longer and more crowded. The shadows are all messed up and I'm certain that the objects are sized all wrong... but what the heck! I have no idea how to post it or even where.

What I'm looking for as far as making maps is collaboration, I guess. If I could find someone who could help build the basics of the maps (building and/or area layout) then I could put stuff in as I need it.

Most of the maps I'll need are for personal reference as I write so copyright shouldn't be an issue as nobody will actually see them. Those would be buildings inns, homes, what-have-you, as they come up in the story) parts of villages, cities, and general travel style maps (from point A to point B kind of things). I know that there is one dungeon that is important and a sanctuary.

But....

The one I need the most help with is an overland map. I have CC3 but it's ticking me off! I did one map there that isn't too bad (other than the land mass is the wrong shape) but at least all of the regions and important cities, etc. are there. I did a very basic outline of what the landmass should look like in Photoshop, but for the life of me I can't do anything with it in CC3 and wouldn't know where to begin on something like that in DJ. Again, I don't know where or how to upload those either.

This map is pretty important as it is where everything takes place and I suppose (though I hate admitting it) it will eventually have to be black and white or at least grey scale.

I hope that helps.
Back to Top View R.S. Robertson's Profile Search for other posts by R.S. Robertson Visit R.S. Robertson's Homepage

aegean
Legend
Legend

Posted: 07/31/2012 at 11:36pm | IP Logged Quote aegean

Post it here using the tree with the arrow above the reply box typething.

or

Use this map by Cisti, as tavern / inn maps don't get much better . . . .

By clicking HERE

ae

Bogie
Djinni (Admin)
Djinni (Admin)

Posted: 08/01/2012 at 10:25am | IP Logged Quote Bogie

Excellent map! Nice layout, good use of objects and tiles.

Is it possible to get a larger - higher resolution version?

You can only post 1/2 MB maps here, but if you zip the file you can go as high as 2 MB.

Great job, especially if this is your first DundJinni map!

R.S. Robertson
Hero
Hero

Posted: 08/01/2012 at 11:13am | IP Logged Quote R.S. Robertson

Thanks Bogie!

This is the first map, I've been fidgeting with for a couple of weeks now... not writing.

Every time my husband sees it he says, "You've been working on that forever!" but since I don't know what I might need I keep adding stuff to it (instead of writing).

I'll try to upload a zip of the actual DJ file. I'm a bit rusty on the zipping thing these days.

Okay, I zipped it up but I can't seem to upload it.

MAP MOVED TO MAP FORUM, SEE LINK IN NEXT POST.

Edited by Bogie on 08/01/2012 at 2:11pm

Visual Fugue - Art Interweaving Life

Bogie
Djinni (Admin)
Djinni (Admin)

Posted: 08/01/2012 at 2:00pm | IP Logged Quote Bogie

R.S.Robertson's map was moved to the Map Forum

CLICK HERE TO GO TO MAP FORUM

Edited by Bogie on 08/01/2012 at 2:10pm

IceEmpress
Henchman
Henchman

Posted: 12/16/2012 at 8:24am | IP Logged Quote IceEmpress

Uh, hi, um, I'm new, though I've been lurking since last... about since last April or May. I'm hoping to (by Christmas Eve) submit at least some of the art I've worked on and altered (at this point, most of them are alterations of other contributor art, except for floor tiles) Most possess a crystalline theme, esp. using the Crystal filter from Filter Forge (my favorite filter) (BTW, Ice is my favorite element)

Oh, I realize this isn't necessarily the place for it (some questions), but another project I've been working on (non-Dundjinni) is the creation of a crapton of gemstone textures (specifically for the creation of semiprecious jewelry and the like for Dundjinni in the future)

Okay, the questions relating to this:
1. I'm sure these would be useful or desired by many users (and non-registered lurkers/fans) here.
Would it be appropriate to host these files on Dundjinni, or would they need to be hosted off-site? And if so, what would be a good site to host them at? (Oh, I should note that with the exception of a scant few-- mainly the ocean jaspers, NONE of these textures would count as derivative works, as they were created by cropping squarish-selections of a photo and then rendering it seamless. I won't be including any textures (or patterns) that I got from non-seamless texture-like images I've found across the net (well, there might be one or two remaining in there that I don't remember)

2. Thing is, I have all the thus-far-used textures in the recycle bin and it would be a hassle to compile them into zip files. Currently, they are organized into Photoshop .pat files (which CAN be opened as layers in GIMP 2.6 with a certain plugin-- I can't remember if PSPI is needed or not)
Does everyone REALLY want me to provide the jpeg texture files? (I'll probably do this anyway at some point, but it will be awhile, because well-- there's already over 100 textures) Oh, a warning though-- because they were made with photoshop layer styles in mind (though for the most part I'll probably just overlay clear styles over a pattern or texture layer since I only used the trial version of CS6 and didn't shrink the patterns down small enough for regular-sized jewelry items), most of the textures are 640x480 (or the equivalent in pixel area) or less, and I didn't bother to clean most of them up, so the majority possess some graininess and blockiness (though mild-- I only used source images with mild levels of this)

3. Whichever the case may be, I plan to provide the textures/patterns/both in its own topic. My question is, which forum would be most appropriate?
Back to Top View IceEmpress's Profile Search for other posts by IceEmpress

Bogie
Djinni (Admin)
Djinni (Admin)

Posted: 12/16/2012 at 11:09am | IP Logged Quote Bogie

Welcome to the Forums IceEmpress.

I'll try to answer some of your questions.
If the items can be used in Dundjinni, then by all means post them in the Forums, most likely in the "Objects and Textures: Fantasy" Forum group.

DJ works best with .png files, but covers can be jpg (sizes get wonky with jpg sometimes). Format is 1 inch = 5 ft at 200 dpi / ppi. If you use a different resolution then DJ will adjust accordingly.

You can post individual .png or .jpg files up to half a megabite (500KB = 0.5MB) You can also post larger single files or multiple files that have been Zipped up to 2 MB.

For really big files over 2MB then you have to host offsite and link to it. I use both rpgMapshare.com and a gallery I have at DeviantArt.com

<< Prev Page of 6 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version