Dundjinni Mapping Software - Forums : Questions
Subject Topic: Size Matters! Make it smaller... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Digorig
Hero
Hero

Posted: 04/01/2006 at 9:52am | IP Logged Quote Digorig

Ok, so I am doing several CITY maps for farland, and the Iso's here are GREAT, but too big.

I could scale them down in DJ one at a time, but that takes TOO long. My solution:

Photoshop Automatic Batch process.

(I use PS 7.0, but you can do this in other versions as well)

1. Download some of the great zips found under iso's (works for top down views also)

2. Put them ALL in a folder in Maps/Fantasy/your folder

3. Create a second folder called "your folder SMALL" (or bigger)

4. Start Photoshop.

5. Open ONE image and re-size it (use image size) to the size you desire, larger or smaller. DO NOT SAVE IT.

6. Once you have the result you like, write down or remember the size, and UNDO it.

7. Go to your ACTION pallet and create a new action:

8. Name it and click RECORD:

9. Now repeat the Image Size command to change the size. When your done, STOR recording:

10. Once again, do NOT save your image, just close it WITHOUT saving. Now we will run the same action on the entire folder.

11. In Photoshop, go to FILE | AUTOMATE | BATCH...

12. A dialog box will open called BATCH. Under PLAY, select the action you just made:

13. For SOURCE choose FOLDER, and click CHOOSE, then navigate to you maps/Fantasy/Your Folder:

14. Under DESTINATION, choose FOLDER, then click CHOOSE and navigate to your Maps/Fantasy/Your Folder Smaller:

15. Make sure ERRORS is on STOP FOR ERRORS, then click OK and sit back and relax:

When it's done, you will have the original files in their folder, and your new "smaller" or "bigger" size in it's folder. Remember to put a DJ Properties file in the new folder! Copy one from a COVER folder.

Enjoy!

Kepli
Djinni (Admin)
Djinni (Admin)

Posted: 04/01/2006 at 11:21am | IP Logged Quote Kepli

Excellent tutorial Digorig

Digorig
Hero
Hero

Posted: 04/01/2006 at 1:35pm | IP Logged Quote Digorig

Thanks Kepli!

Varl
Hero
Hero

Posted: 04/03/2006 at 1:36pm | IP Logged Quote Varl

Wow. That is a great tutorial. Thanks Digorig!   

I've wondered about resizing. Now I'm going to have to check and see if this method works for non-iso art too. If it does, that'd be too cool.

Kepli
Djinni (Admin)
Djinni (Admin)

Posted: 04/05/2006 at 12:13pm | IP Logged Quote Kepli

Just used this to change the dpi of a big load of floor tiles I made
Thanks Digorig

dragonwolf
Legend
Legend

Posted: 04/06/2006 at 1:45am | IP Logged Quote dragonwolf

Great tutorial Digorig. Using the Batch feature is a quick and easy way to apply an action to a lot of files. For additional flexibility you can also use scripting. The Batch feature and everything else in the automate option, I believe, are really just scripts. You can use javascript, VB script, or applescript and create your own UI to handle whatever your script needs. I used javascript to create the patches for the Iso terrains I did so I didn't have to do those by hand. That would have taken forever. I've thought of doing this for all of the floor tiles posted on the forums as well to enable everyone to have smoother transitions with their floors. I'm not sure what all versions of Photoshop have support for scripting. I upgraded from PS 6 to PS CS2 and I don't remember if PS 6 had it or not.

Free Advice: If you come into my cube and you have a Mountain Dew and I do not, that will be your unDewing.

Back to Top View dragonwolf's Profile Search for other posts by dragonwolf Visit dragonwolf's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version