Dundjinni Logo Dundjinni Logo Dundjinni Logo

Forums

Active Topics  :  Memberlist  :  Search  :  Help  :  Register  :  Login
Help Dundjinni! Rate This Website at RPG Gateway

Objects and Textures (Fantasy)
 Dundjinni Mapping Software - Forums : Objects and Textures (Fantasy)
Subject Topic: Anvil: First Realdraw Project Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Cecil
Janni (Moderator)
Janni (Moderator)

Posted: 06/24/2004 at 5:53am | IP Logged Quote Cecil

OK then--curves in Realdraw.

First, the easy part-- a curved path. One of the buttons under the "A" section allows you to draw a curved path--these paths have nodes (squares) on them that are attached to small blue circles. Dragging the circles around will bend the path. Layman's terms--don't ask me what the blue circles are called. I can generally get what I want, but the results are a little bumpy.

I much prefer working with larger shapes. In this case, I started out with a blue square and a red circle. I want to take a square "bite" out of the circle. (In the anvil I took an oval bite out of a rectangle)

Then I position the square so that it is underneath the circle--where I want the bite to be removed (you may want to bring the shape to the top view while positioning it--just ensure that you reposition it before the next step)

Ensure both objects are selected (highlighted). Go to the objects command at the top of the window--pull down combine objects--a flyout appears--select Boolean subtract. The square and the overlap with the circle vanish!

That was the simple version. These can be combined in multiple patterns. The end of the anvil involved two ovals, a trapezoid, a rectangle and a large oval.

The rectangle and the trapezoids were combined together to form one large basic piece to work with. The two ovals at the top and the bottom were used to form the initial curves. Then I sliced off just an edge of a large oval for the rightmost end of the anvil.

In some cases, I bevelled just the vertical portion before combining to make it appear there was more of a curve than would otherwise come out.

whew. Hope that helps.
Back to Top View Cecil's Profile Search for other posts by Cecil Visit Cecil's Homepage

r-kelleg
Legend
Legend

Posted: 06/24/2004 at 5:58am | IP Logged Quote r-kelleg

Cecil wrote:
r-kelleg,

Not sure I followed you there. I take it this is what happened to the shadows?

shadows do not show up on a black background forum
Back to Top View r-kelleg's Profile Search for other posts by r-kelleg

Cecil
Janni (Moderator)
Janni (Moderator)

Posted: 06/24/2004 at 6:09am | IP Logged Quote Cecil

Oops!   

Makes sense, thanks! I'll watch that in the future. I'll also ensure that the background is not black when setting transparencies.

Back to Top View Cecil's Profile Search for other posts by Cecil Visit Cecil's Homepage

Targeteron
Legend
Legend

Posted: 06/24/2004 at 6:16am | IP Logged Quote Targeteron

thanks cecil. i am always amazed that people can actually write tutorials. i wont pretend i understood everything you said but i think i have an idea. goota play with that for a bit.
Back to Top View Targeteron's Profile Search for other posts by Targeteron

Cecil
Janni (Moderator)
Janni (Moderator)

Posted: 06/24/2004 at 6:47am | IP Logged Quote Cecil

That was a quickie--I'm not even sure that I understood it. I certainly wouldn't want to build anything from those instructions. Perhaps this weekend I can take the time to do a shaping tutorial correctly, where I capture screen shots as I go along.

But when you get right down to it--this is a process that you can only really learn by doing. Make two objects that contrast with eachother and then play with the "Combine objects" commands. Learn which ones can be used to shape the others. I picked up on that part quickly because I've used other programs that worked on similar principles. It's the lights, beveling, and textures that are messing me over.

cdenham
Legend
Legend

Posted: 08/08/2006 at 9:14pm | IP Logged Quote cdenham

Rather than start a new thread for anvils I decided to throw this one in here. I was playing around more than anything and Kepli originally asked for anvils for the art contest and this is what happened.

I left it a bit large on purpose so it could be scaled to taste.

PS - Photoshop is a REALLY cool program!!

heruca
Janni (Moderator)
Janni (Moderator)

Posted: 08/08/2006 at 10:33pm | IP Logged Quote heruca

Looks like a +1 anvil, to me.

Good job!

I'm sure someone will be nice enough to dirty it up and give it a "used" look.

Kepli
Djinni (Admin)
Djinni (Admin)

Posted: 08/08/2006 at 11:46pm | IP Logged Quote Kepli

Awesome anvil Cdenham

The Madman
Hero
Hero

Posted: 08/09/2006 at 12:38am | IP Logged Quote The Madman

Very nice anvil! SNAG... And now for something completely different ; could we have one thats less shiny, and more worn around the edges? pleeeeeeaaaase...

Back to Top View The Madman's Profile Search for other posts by The Madman

englishkid
Legend
Legend

Posted: 08/09/2006 at 4:34am | IP Logged Quote englishkid

The Madman wrote:
Very nice anvil!    SNAG... And now for something completely different ; could we have one thats less shiny, and more worn around the edges? pleeeeeeaaaase...

I second the motion
Back to Top View englishkid's Profile Search for other posts by englishkid

<< Prev Page of 6 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version