Dundjinni Mapping Software - Forums : Feedback
Subject Topic: *** Wish List *** - NEW Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Amaril
Hero
Hero

Posted: 06/21/2007 at 2:02pm | IP Logged Quote Amaril

I've worked a lot with image manipulation programs, and I know that some definitive objects like a chest or body wouldn't work, but things like shadows, spell effects, fog, etc, would work fine.

Edited by Amaril on 09/05/2007 at 4:36am
Back to Top View Amaril's Profile Search for other posts by Amaril Visit Amaril's Homepage

charvolant
Henchman
Henchman

Posted: 09/03/2007 at 4:48pm | IP Logged Quote charvolant

Metric measurements. I don't have an instinctive feel for imperial measures and being able to work in metres would be good.
Back to Top View charvolant's Profile Search for other posts by charvolant

Kepli
Dundjinni Master (Admin)
Dundjinni Master (Admin)

Posted: 09/04/2007 at 11:30am | IP Logged Quote Kepli

Welcome aboard Charvolant

Nice suggestion.

charvolant
Henchman
Henchman

Posted: 09/04/2007 at 9:03pm | IP Logged Quote charvolant

Kepli wrote:
Welcome aboard Charvolant

Glad to be here. Now, while I'm about it:

A spellchecker[*] would be good, as would the ability to set logical styles (a la a CSS stylesheet) for descriptive text, rather than having to bother with explicit font names and other such spinach. Either that or the ability to integrate with a word processor[**].

A published DTD or XML schema for the .dj? files would be useful, for those of us who like that kind of thing.

Multiple maps per adventure.

The ability to link to background material.

The ability to embed other graphics into the descriptive text. Particularly if stuff can be collected into player handouts.

World peace. Except wherever my players are.

[*] Preferably one with Australian spelling available. And one that can spell "eldritch".

[**] Maybe not. I'm hoping for a Linux version.
Back to Top View charvolant's Profile Search for other posts by charvolant

Myst Ranger
Legend
Legend

Posted: 09/04/2007 at 9:24pm | IP Logged Quote Myst Ranger

Yeah, a spellchecker which uses South African/Australian/English English (they're much of a muchness).

Colour
Grey
Honour
Armour

WHOOP!

Then you realise that Captain Damian Halfhelm doesn't know the answer. And neither do you.
Back to Top View Myst Ranger's Profile Search for other posts by Myst Ranger Visit Myst Ranger's Homepage

BardMorgan
Hireling
Hireling

Posted: 09/23/2007 at 9:12pm | IP Logged Quote BardMorgan

nidae213 wrote:
A lot of the wishes listed thus far are excellent and on point. I know mine is a simple and silly one, but coming from a slightly artistic background, here are my wishes.

1) When you load DJ, you have that ugly light blue frosty looking... thing for a background. I'd like a way to change that to another texture, a different picture, or a DJ comissioned artwork from someone just to make it less bland and less harsh on the eyes of a dungeon dwelling creature as myself. ;)

I gotta second this one. I got up this morning to finish my plotting for today's game and near blinded myself when I started DJ in my dark office!

nidae213 wrote:
3) I know it has been mentioned, but speed. I have 2GB of RAM and it's not even been touched by DJ. And I have read about 'hacking the registry', but that's what spawned my recent OSRI (Operating System Re-Install).

Hate to say it and I really don't want to start a fundamentalist war here, but a native code version would be great. Java (IMO) just puts too much of a performance hit in the mix for my tastes.

nidae213 wrote:
4) I pine for DJv2 for a Landscape mode! I have so many things I want to map, but I can't do it sideways. :P

I'd like to add my request for landscape also, but in a slightly different way. When generating a battle map, it would be great if there were an option to generate it in landscape. I.e., so that the selector would select in landscape, and the resulting battle map was in landscape.

Also, an easier way to switch the centering from vertex to center. I know there's a CTRL-I, but that just brings up the dialog and I still have to select it. Since it's a toggle, a single keystroke toggle would be great.

Morgan

Edited by BardMorgan on 09/23/2007 at 9:17pm
Back to Top View BardMorgan's Profile Search for other posts by BardMorgan

Kepli
Dundjinni Master (Admin)
Dundjinni Master (Admin)

Posted: 09/24/2007 at 12:28am | IP Logged Quote Kepli

Welcome aboard BardMorgan

There will be a completely revised UI and snapping is going to be a separate functionality. Toggling will be possible for quite some options if I remember correctly.

BardMorgan
Hireling
Hireling

Posted: 09/24/2007 at 11:57am | IP Logged Quote BardMorgan

Thanks for the welcome!

Just thought of another interesting feature. When creating counters, provide an option to number groups of identical counters. Great for, say, a raiding party of orcs, a horde of skeletons, etc. Each counter would print with a sequential number in the corner. Makes keeping track of HPs for a group of the same creatures much easier.

Morgan
Back to Top View BardMorgan's Profile Search for other posts by BardMorgan

Kepli
Dundjinni Master (Admin)
Dundjinni Master (Admin)

Posted: 09/24/2007 at 12:35pm | IP Logged Quote Kepli

Not bad ... that would be a ncie addition when we do the Adventure part

Loral
Hireling
Hireling

Posted: 11/17/2007 at 12:15pm | IP Logged Quote Loral

My group has a projector and I'd love to be able to use these maps straight from dj - 2 problems though -
1. By the time you zoom in to a '1' or less on the map, it's very fuzzy, even with the render options using detail

2. Any chance a 'fog of war' could be created?

I know this may not be the origional intention of this program, but we bought a projector because it makes maps SOOO much easier & faster for those of us who DM campains. Now I want one all-inclusive program where I can make my maps. - The extracting to another program to use a fog of war is just time consuming and annoying (and I don't like the other program at all).
Thanks
Back to Top View Loral's Profile Search for other posts by Loral

Kepli
Dundjinni Master (Admin)
Dundjinni Master (Admin)

Posted: 11/17/2007 at 1:14pm | IP Logged Quote Kepli

Welcome aboard Loral

What your group needs is a Virtual Tabletop.
Go here to find a long list of possibilities. Virtual Tabletops make it possible to play RPG online with
others, but a lot of them can be used offline as well. If you use one with a full screen option (like BattleGrounds), you can use a projector to its fullest.

Let us know if you have any questions about any of these VTs. A lot of online gamers visit this forum and will be able to help out. You can of course also visit the sites of these
applications to look around and ask questions there

[Edit by Heruca: supplied a more direct link]

Edited by heruca on 11/17/2007 at 1:45pm

briguybenwa
Henchman
Henchman

Posted: 06/05/2008 at 4:24pm | IP Logged Quote briguybenwa

I'd like to see a better way to select an item. Many times I know what I'm looking for, but I'm in the "S"s and it's in the "A"s. So I have to click click click all the way back to the As. Then I need something in the Ms. Click Click Click... It's even worse when there's a large item along the way, slowing the whole process. So, in the map item dialogue box, I'd like to see a drop down box above the "Current Selection" picture that has a list of all the items. (So the drop down boxes would go: Genre, Pack, Type, ITEM) That way, when I know what I want, I can drop the box down, and skip right to what I want.

I don't know if someone else has suggested this, but if they have, here's my vote for this feature as well.
Back to Top View briguybenwa's Profile Search for other posts by briguybenwa Visit briguybenwa's Homepage

WayneFrancis
Janni (Moderator)
Janni (Moderator)

Posted: 06/05/2008 at 9:16pm | IP Logged Quote WayneFrancis

Good idea Briguybenwa, The picklist, I think, was designed to help this sadly there are performance hits with using it. In DJ2 I'd also like to see a faster way to pick a object/texture Something like a contact sheet would be nice.
Back to Top View WayneFrancis's Profile Search for other posts by WayneFrancis

Kepli
Dundjinni Master (Admin)
Dundjinni Master (Admin)

Posted: 06/06/2008 at 12:37am | IP Logged Quote Kepli

Has been a while since I looked at the DJ2 design, but I know we discussed this issue. A better (and faster) browse option is definitely preferable for the djx-files and thus also for user-art within DJ.

Grimslade
Hireling
Hireling

Posted: 08/25/2008 at 8:03am | IP Logged Quote Grimslade

Like to be able to chage the grid size of a map, instead of a default of 32x40, be able to change it to whatever is needed. This would probally cause problems with printing, but need this for online play.

Thank You.
Back to Top View Grimslade's Profile Search for other posts by Grimslade

r-kelleg
Legend
Legend

Posted: 01/09/2009 at 1:20am | IP Logged Quote r-kelleg

hello everybody !
happy new year !
It's been a looong time since my last post. My account is now working properly and that's good :-)

I for the first time really use Dundjinni to make maps for the Keep on the shadowfell.
anyway,
I have few comments to make that could increase the efficiency of the software.

1) first of all the (in)famous "snap to grid" settings.
This form should be replaced by a simple button or "switch" or watever that can be activated in one ingle clic (or one shortcut)
I don't know how the other mappers are working, but in my case, I'm all the time switching from vertice to center. And it takes 3 clics to make a change that should be done in only one. If you are planning to make one signe change in the next update, think about this one pleeeeeeease :-)

2) brush size. Imho, each tool should "keep in memory" the brush size that was selected previously for it. In other words, I'm drawing 2feet wall, then I swap to de delete tool with a 5' brush. Then I swap back to the line
tool the brush size should be 2'.

3) map size. well no need to explain this :-)

4) page setup ISO A3 is missing

5) page print grid preview. Like in excel, It could be usefull to see a new kind of grid that show the border of the pages that will be printed.

well, that's all for now :-)

best

Back to Top View r-kelleg's Profile Search for other posts by r-kelleg

Kepli
Dundjinni Master (Admin)
Dundjinni Master (Admin)

Posted: 01/09/2009 at 1:31am | IP Logged Quote Kepli

Glad to see you around again r-Kelleg

Good comments ...

You can also use CTRL-G to switch Snap on/off
and CTRL-I to open the small window to change between vertice and center.
But a button or simple key will definitely be implemented in DJ2.

aegean
Legend
Legend

Posted: 01/09/2009 at 2:36am | IP Logged Quote aegean

Its the return of a living legend!!!!

Welcome back Mr Kelleg

r-kelleg
Legend
Legend

Posted: 01/09/2009 at 2:36am | IP Logged Quote r-kelleg

I knew I forgot somthing.
We also need a better way to browse across the items. It's quite a pain in the @@@ to find, for exemple, a sercophagus or some broken rocks among the zillion of items that have been created by all of us. Using an index function that allow a search on the name and/or categories among the libraries and folders is, imho, a must for the next version :)

a "palette" of the last 10 tools used could be usefull too.

right clic with the zoom map tools to unzoom could be cool too ;-)

r-kelleg
Legend
Legend

Posted: 01/09/2009 at 2:40am | IP Logged Quote r-kelleg

thank you for your comments :-)

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version