Subject Topic: *** Wish List *** - NEW Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Wurm
Legend
Legend

Posted: 03/09/2007 at 8:36pm | IP Logged Quote Wurm

WayneFrancis wrote:
It would be hard to say that the mapping capability of DJ isn't the most important feature as it is the core that everyone uses.

I understand, and agree, particularly as it is important to the long term health of the company that they serve their primary customers. I'm just voting for more attention/focus on the adventure writing part than has been shown up to now. The most significant upgrade to the adventure writing part of the program was the outstanding work done by mdono and gtech to develop the talismyr style sheet (IMHO). I love to see the beautiful artwork maps that people make, but I personally don't have the time or artistic sense to make such works of art. For me, Dundjinni is an important shortcut to gaming on the weekend.

WayneFrancis wrote:

...I'm eager to see what adventure features they are planning on but with proper design it will be easy for the devs to put out DJ v2 with the graphics capability then continue with other features without headaches because they where thought of what they want before they started. Also properly designing an application can aid in adding in new features that you didn't think of if you design them right. Think plugins.

If you look around you'll see a few posts from DJ people that give a glimps into what DJ2 feature set we can expect.

I guess I'll have to look more closely...other than Kepli's occasional inputs and Mindy's original announcement, I haven't seen many other posts that provide insights into into what features DJv2 might have.

I like the plugins idea too...

On a separate topic, I'd like to add my vote to the idea of DJ v2 being able to import PCGen (and maybe others) xml character, monster or treasure files.
Back to Top View Wurm's Profile Search for other posts by Wurm

Madartiste
Hero
Hero

Posted: 03/12/2007 at 9:45am | IP Logged Quote Madartiste

Kepli wrote:
I also think the adventure part is important, but it will have to be upgraded a lot. Things like multiple maps, easier style sheet development, more flexibility, etc. are needed to keep the product interesting. The combination of DJ 2 and an Adventure module would be a great way to get you adventures done in just one application.
I already have several ideas to take it even further

These are definitely features I would like to see for the Adventure designing side. I don't mind if it becomes an add on, plug-in, or something of that sort at all if it makes it easier.
Back to Top View Madartiste's Profile Search for other posts by Madartiste

dragonwolf
Legend
Legend

Posted: 03/21/2007 at 11:53pm | IP Logged Quote dragonwolf

Something I thought of tonight as I was trying a floor texture out.

- The ability to use floor tiles that are larger than 200x200 pixels.

There are a lot of tiling textures out there that are not 200x200 pixels and if you have to resize them, they lose their detail. I know, you can always create a new tiling texture with the detail you want @ 200x200 pixels, but it'd be nice to not have to. The textures on Nifran Tay's site are a prime example. Most are 256x256 or 512x512.

Free Advice: If you come into my cube and you have a Mountain Dew and I do not, that will be your unDewing.

Back to Top View dragonwolf's Profile Search for other posts by dragonwolf Visit dragonwolf's Homepage

Kepli
Djinni (Admin)
Djinni (Admin)

Posted: 03/22/2007 at 1:33am | IP Logged Quote Kepli

The feature was already taken into account DW   

Edited by Kepli on 03/22/2007 at 1:34am

WayneFrancis
Janni (Moderator)
Janni (Moderator)

Posted: 03/22/2007 at 4:09am | IP Logged Quote WayneFrancis

dragonwolf wrote:
Something I thought of tonight as I was trying a floor texture out.

- The ability to use floor tiles that are larger than 200x200 pixels.

There are a lot of tiling textures out there that are not 200x200 pixels and if you have to resize them, they lose their detail. I know, you can always create a new tiling texture with the detail you want @ 200x200 pixels, but it'd be nice to not have to. The textures on Nifran Tay's site are a prime example. Most are 256x256 or 512x512.

This will be interesting to see what they can do.
If they allow you to have larger textures then I guess it is just the random tileing routine that will have to be adjusted. If you are looking for the ability to have textures above 200dpi then that opens up a big can of worms.

Here is the issue as I see it. Say they allow the user to set the DPI of a map then 99% of the user art is going to look bad on the new textures you place. IE the user art is generally created to the 200dpi model. If you want to place that on a 512dpi map then you need to scale the old art to 250% which would make it look pixelated agianst the nicer art. Now there is work out there that has higher res versions.

Would I knock this feature back? Hmmm depends on what the development costs where.   Personally 200dpi is fine for me. Even with my home grown VTT that can display maps of 200dpi and even much higher I rarely would ever zoom in more then that. Hell at 200dpi I can only display a ~50'x30' area at zoom of 1-1 and my maps are 150meg raw and much more in memory do to Fog of War layers etc.

If they allow larger textures that scale to the current 200dpi then it will have the same quality as if you scaled the source textures to 200dpi and used them.

It will be interesting to see how it is handled.
Back to Top View WayneFrancis's Profile Search for other posts by WayneFrancis

Kepli
Djinni (Admin)
Djinni (Admin)

Posted: 03/22/2007 at 5:15am | IP Logged Quote Kepli

What is meant here is for instance using DBlade's water tiles as a tileable floor/wall. Those tiles are 800x800.
And rest assured, we are very aware of dpi <grin>

Darkness
Janni (Moderator)
Janni (Moderator)

Posted: 03/22/2007 at 6:26pm | IP Logged Quote Darkness

Yes - there has been a big long discussion over DPI, PPI, Scale, Blah Blah Blah..

My Head hurts.
Needless to say, I think everyone will be Happy with the end result.
Back to Top View Darkness's Profile Search for other posts by Darkness

dragonwolf
Legend
Legend

Posted: 03/22/2007 at 8:58pm | IP Logged Quote dragonwolf

Kepli wrote:
What is meant here is for instance using DBlade's water tiles as a tileable floor/wall. Those tiles are 800x800.
And rest assured, we are very aware of dpi <grin>

Yep, I' not talking about changing the 200dpi=5' scale, I just want to be able to use larger tiles to create the floor. Using Dblades tiles to cover a whole map for example would take some time. I want to be able to just select those tiles and use the fill tool to let DJ do it.

Free Advice: If you come into my cube and you have a Mountain Dew and I do not, that will be your unDewing.

Back to Top View dragonwolf's Profile Search for other posts by dragonwolf Visit dragonwolf's Homepage

Darkness
Janni (Moderator)
Janni (Moderator)

Posted: 03/23/2007 at 4:50am | IP Logged Quote Darkness

dragonwolf wrote:

Yep, I' not talking about changing the 200dpi=5' scale, I just want to be able to use larger tiles to create the floor. Using Dblades tiles to cover a whole map for example would take some time. I want to be able to just select those tiles and use the fill tool to let DJ do it.

I believe that is what we are looking at doing. Nothing is in stone yet, but this is whats been discussed.

The confusion comes in when you refer to the Scale as 200 dpi, when in fact it is 200 Pixels per Inch or PPI.
The DPI is for Printing.
Back to Top View Darkness's Profile Search for other posts by Darkness

dragonwolf
Legend
Legend

Posted: 03/24/2007 at 11:01pm | IP Logged Quote dragonwolf

Correct you are Darkness. I work in the print industry and of course hear DPI more. So even though I know better, I usually end up talking DPI.

<< Prev Page of 14 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version