Dundjinni Mapping Software - Forums : Social Lounge
Subject Topic: Question for Ghostrider Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Naryt
Hero
Hero

Posted: 12/28/2006 at 8:18pm | IP Logged Quote Naryt

OK, I hate the fact that the forums have no way to contact other members.

Ghostrider, I have a question or twelve about your YT-1300 map you posted last year. If it's not too much trouble, could you contact me at rpg @ ormonds.net?

Astounding map btw.

Edited by Naryt on 12/28/2006 at 8:19pm
Back to Top View Naryt's Profile Search for other posts by Naryt

Kepli
Djinni (Admin)
Djinni (Admin)

Posted: 12/29/2006 at 12:27am | IP Logged Quote Kepli

If a member has made his/her email address available in the profile settings, you can certainly contact that person. Just find the member in the memberlist and click in the left column on the username to find the available settings for that person.

And Ghostrider did leave an email address behind

Edited by Kepli on 12/29/2006 at 12:28am

Naryt
Hero
Hero

Posted: 12/29/2006 at 8:35am | IP Logged Quote Naryt

Kepli wrote:
If a member has made his/her email address available in the profile settings, you can certainly contact that person. Just find the member in the memberlist and click in the left column on the username to find the available settings for that person.

And Ghostrider did leave an email address behind

Grrr....I know I looked but didn't find one (was set to private) but I'll go hunting again.

EDIT

Perhaps you're seeing his email because you are the most powerful Kepli?

Quote:

Email Address:      Private

Edited by Naryt on 12/29/2006 at 8:36am

Futureboy
Legend
Legend

Posted: 12/29/2006 at 1:22pm | IP Logged Quote Futureboy

I don't think you can blame that on the forums though! It's a their own personal decision to keep their e-mail private.
Back to Top View Futureboy's Profile Search for other posts by Futureboy

Kepli
Djinni (Admin)
Djinni (Admin)

Posted: 12/29/2006 at 1:50pm | IP Logged Quote Kepli

Naryt wrote:

EDIT

Perhaps you're seeing his email because you are the most powerful Kepli?

Quote:

Email Address:       Private

Ah ... must be because I am an administrator.

SeekerOfPeace
Legend
Legend

Posted: 12/29/2006 at 6:36pm | IP Logged Quote SeekerOfPeace

Futureboy wrote:
I don't think you can blame that on the forums though! It's a their own personal decision to keep their e-mail private.

C'mon now, this is wonderful forum, but let's not bury our head in the sand here. The lack of PM function is a shortcoming and will addressed in the next version (from what I understood). There's a reason why 99% of all forums about there have a PM function, and trust me people use it (lots!).

It's a shortcoming the same way the DOTW hasn't been updated for one month. I know some of you will say that I'm too demanding, you're entitled your own opinion.

Fair enough it's ok to be caught up with things and fail to deliver for one week, but one month...?

I'm not comfortable with the website advertising:

"We create new downloads for you every week, usually on Friday." and fails to do so for four consecutive weeks.

I know, they have a life and so on, but it's not even so much for me (as I don't use DJ no more). I just think it gives the whole product a bad impression if it advertises to do something and then fails to do it. It's just not a good thing, really. I think most people who honestly agree that being late three weeks is a bit much.

My point is, if it's DOWM (down of the month) then fine. Or if it said: "We try to create new downloads for you every week, usually on Friday." Then at least it would keep true to their words.

If there were PM contacting other members would be a breeze without having to reveal a personal e-mail address. So I disagree, it is partly a forum problem. But everything will change with the new forum.

In other words, someone might want to keep their e-mail private (for obvious reasons) and still like to be contacted or to contact others.

So yes, you can partly blame it on the forum

Edited by SeekerOfPeace on 12/29/2006 at 6:49pm
Back to Top View SeekerOfPeace's Profile Search for other posts by SeekerOfPeace

Futureboy
Legend
Legend

Posted: 12/30/2006 at 12:54am | IP Logged Quote Futureboy

I guess I'm lost, Seeker. Is there a difference in a PM system provided by the web site then ICQ, Yahoo, IM or whatever? I have used the others, would there be additional features in a PM system provided by the web site?
Back to Top View Futureboy's Profile Search for other posts by Futureboy

Kepli
Djinni (Admin)
Djinni (Admin)

Posted: 12/30/2006 at 3:51am | IP Logged Quote Kepli

The DotW is depended on one artist who is working for Fluid, not DJ Enterprises and is indeed very busy. Then there is the time Slash has available to do work for DJ, just a few hours a week (no kidding) and his work is all going into the new site.
I do agree that we should keep the forum members posted on this though. I'll post an announcement if there won't be a DotW in that week. I will know when I won't get it by sunday evening.

A PM functionality might be implemented in the next forums. There have also been people who are against it for good reasons so there is no definite decission on this yet.

Naryt
Hero
Hero

Posted: 01/03/2007 at 8:57am | IP Logged Quote Naryt

Kepli wrote:
A PM functionality might be implemented in the next forums. There have also been people who are against it for good reasons so there is no definite decission on this yet.

Let me just say that this is the ONLY forum I use that does not use expose a PM function and it is a drawback.

BTW, this is NOT a failing of the forum software, Web Wiz Forums do include PMs but only at the option of the forum admins.

The main reason/benefit of PMs is that they mean threads like this one do not appear and clutter the forums. They also allow forum members to keep their personal contact information private (I really don't need more contacts on ICQ/Messenger/IM-client-of-your-choice) but at the same time allow for forum members to contact each other privately.

The main arguement against them tends to be abuse but when abusing PMs = permanent banning the abuse tends to vanish over night.

Edited by Naryt on 01/03/2007 at 8:58am

Kepli
Djinni (Admin)
Djinni (Admin)

Posted: 01/03/2007 at 9:31am | IP Logged Quote Kepli

Personally, I wouldn't mind having the PM functionality activated. Activating it now depends mostly on what we will be able with the new forums in a while. If that one doesn't have a PM functionality, it doesn't make sense to activate it now on this forum. I'll ask Slash about this and get back to you

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version