Dundjinni Mapping Software - Forums : Other News
Subject Topic: 2.0 Updates (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Mindy
Djinni (Admin)
Djinni (Admin)

Posted: 03/15/2007 at 4:42pm | IP Logged  

This topic will contain updates on our progress on the 2.0 version of Dundjinni. We won't be posting weekly - but we'll try post once a month or so - and every time we have significant news to report.

Current status

A small working group of senior users, moderators, etc is working on the design and giving feedback/suggestions. (Their input and suggestions have been invaluable in improving the design - thanks to each of them!)

We've gone through a number of design revisions - and I think we're getting close (w/in a rev or two) to having something we can tech spec and budget. We've had a bit of feature creep in the design doc, so I expect we'll cut back a bit to meet budget but I'd expect 90% of the currently planned 2.0 functionality to remain intact. If all goes well, we should be in development in the next month or so.

Overall, I expect/hope everyone will be very pleased with 2.0, as it includes a lot (probably most) of the wish list - major features like flexible map size and orientation, map linking, layers, render effects (like blend and feathering tools) - plus some other cool stuff.
Back to Top View Mindy's Profile Search for other posts by Mindy

shoggothic
Hero
Hero

Posted: 05/07/2007 at 2:11pm | IP Logged  

Any idea of the reverse compatability with the existing Dundjinni, including Art Packs/User Art?
Back to Top View shoggothic's Profile Search for other posts by shoggothic

WayneFrancis
Janni (Moderator)
Janni (Moderator)

Posted: 05/07/2007 at 9:19pm | IP Logged  

Hello Shoggothic,
At this stage I can say users art will be compatible. IE PNG graphics format will be the main graphics format for user art as it supports 24bit colour with an 8bit alpha channel.

Mindy keeps a good eye on the boards so I expect she'll answer the art pack side of things soon.

Back to Top View WayneFrancis's Profile Search for other posts by WayneFrancis

Mindy
Djinni (Admin)
Djinni (Admin)

Posted: 05/08/2007 at 11:49am | IP Logged  

One way or another, users will be able to use the art packs they've purchased in DJ2.

It's likely that users will have to re-download and reinstall the packs - but the DJ2-compatible packs will be made available at no cost to those who've previously purchased them in DJ1 format.

I also realized I need to lock this thread (since it's just for news - comments, questions, discussion is supposed to be in the 2.0 thread below.

Edited by Mindy on 05/08/2007 at 11:50am

Mindy
Djinni (Admin)
Djinni (Admin)

Posted: 07/03/2007 at 12:17am | IP Logged  

It's been a while so I wanted to update everyone on our progress on the 2.0 front.

With the help of the design team (composed of a bunch of experienced DJ users), we completed a functional design that everyone was pretty happy with, if I can speak for the team on this.

However, by including DJ1's functionality plus a bunch of cool new features, the design crept outside the scope of the original programmer's time availability. So we decided to look for a new programmer - a task that took up much of the month of June.

We have now identified a likely candidate (plus a few backup options, just in case) - a development studio in that seems to have the relevant expertise. While having to find a new developer has delayed us, we hope to make up the time by using multiple programmers (instead of the solo programmer we had originally planned to use).

So the next step is to work with this new team to flesh out the functional design with more granular descriptions (program flow charts, etc), the tech spec, and then the milestone schedule. Then it's on to actual coding.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version