Dundjinni Mapping Software - Forums : Other News
Subject Topic: Responses to 2.0 update Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Kepli
Djinni (Admin)
Djinni (Admin)

Posted: 04/22/2007 at 11:54pm | IP Logged Quote Kepli

First we need to finalize the design. Then we can start planning the different stages and have a rough timeline.
Speaking from experience, I doubt we will give a detailed timeline or release date. We probably will post our progress though, so everyone can follow the work a bit

MasterMind
Legend
Legend

Posted: 04/23/2007 at 11:46pm | IP Logged Quote MasterMind

Thats all greate news

When time is come to Beta, I will make it.
(I pay 2.0 and become a Beta Licenz to?)

Oh I Sooooooo happy
Back to Top View MasterMind's Profile Search for other posts by MasterMind

forumLurker
Legend
Legend

Posted: 04/24/2007 at 7:38am | IP Logged Quote forumLurker

lordcallubonn wrote:
What about my midget??? I still need him back..

Maybe Mindy will let you have him back when they're done.
~lurker~

"Well, I'm the Forum Lurker. I'm not Sneak Man. I'm not Hidey Boy. I'm the Forum *Lurker*."
Back to Top View forumLurker's Profile Search for other posts by forumLurker

Dahgda
Hero
Hero

Posted: 04/27/2007 at 7:01am | IP Logged Quote Dahgda

Hey, can we share the midget? I have some rooms that need some painting done - I will put up with the random color swirls if he does the job quick enough.

Now I am going to go think up all the stuff I want DJ2 to do - anyone have a spare mento-helmet, so I can just think my maps onto the computer?
Back to Top View Dahgda's Profile Search for other posts by Dahgda

WayneFrancis
Janni (Moderator)
Janni (Moderator)

Posted: 04/28/2007 at 5:38am | IP Logged Quote WayneFrancis

Talk to NASA, they've done a fair bit of research into those types of things.
Back to Top View WayneFrancis's Profile Search for other posts by WayneFrancis

MrPooPoo
Hero
Hero

Posted: 05/14/2007 at 6:48pm | IP Logged Quote MrPooPoo

Just want to throw this out there... I really loved the import from e-tools that was included in the original Dundjinni - but since WOTC has pulled all the licenses that feature might be moot. However, I would really like to see a similar XML import so I can keep using the stuff I've already written.

BUT - and here's the big thing - I'd like the new version to be able to import characters natively from PCGen.

That's all I have to say about that.
Back to Top View MrPooPoo's Profile Search for other posts by MrPooPoo Visit MrPooPoo's Homepage

Kepli
Djinni (Admin)
Djinni (Admin)

Posted: 05/14/2007 at 11:51pm | IP Logged Quote Kepli

It's certainly something to look at. Not sure there will a plan to focus on one particular program though

WayneFrancis
Janni (Moderator)
Janni (Moderator)

Posted: 05/15/2007 at 12:45am | IP Logged Quote WayneFrancis

As Kepli points out we probably don't want to tie into just one program. Hopefully we can do something that is flexible and works well enough with multiple programs.

Problem with tieing into a single app like PCGen is it can limit the options. Sure PCGen is a great product that many of us use and is very expandable by the end user.

We are still in the planning stages of what features are going to be included in DJ2. Know that we are concidering suggestions like yours. While DJ2 may or may not do exactly what someone wants it hopefully will still be benifitial.

By all means keep suggestions coming and know that all of us that are looking at the features for DJ2 want a great product too when it comes out.

Hows that for a lot of talk without giving anything away

pedrov
Legend
Legend

Posted: 05/17/2007 at 2:48pm | IP Logged Quote pedrov

As a non-owner of DJ, I'd like to hear more, over time of course, about why I should buy it (said in very challenging, yet strangely inquisitive, voice). If I have software from some of those other guys, what makes DJ stand apart? Ease of use is an outstanding virtue (and probably should be feature numero uno), but I'm used to learning new and difficult software on almost a monthly basis. What else makes DJ2 unique and worthy of adding to my overflowing plate of software?

I think some of the suggestions above are great starters. Adventure writing, importing PC stats, ease of export to online applications (as an alternative to printing), perhaps a boolean-logic-like system to account for player choices (crap! they went invisible and I don't want them to see the spectres all over the room that they wouldn't otherwise be aware of!), fog of war, random room generators that work on the fly (pick a style, pick a size, pick a folder with random objects you'd like placed), better campaign-scale support with hyperlinking (per campaign cartographer), and so on ad nauseum.

Okay ... done.

WayneFrancis
Janni (Moderator)
Janni (Moderator)

Posted: 05/18/2007 at 7:55pm | IP Logged Quote WayneFrancis

Nice suggestion pedrov.

Since DJ2 isn't ready to do this yet I'd start with why I considered Dundjinni worth buying for myself

1) Easy to use interface. Even with my background in Architectural Design I found competing products overly complicated to do something as simple as drawing walls for a room.

2) Bitmap bases artwork. I'm personally not a fan of vector artwork on maps. The 200 dpi setting of Dundjinni produces great looking maps for either colour printing or VTT's even the one I'm writing for my own D&D group that allows zooming into an area where the map might be at 4x zoom.

This next one is probably the biggest selling point for me.
3) The online community. The community is, hands down, the best, a.k.a. friendliest, community Iíve seen and the quality of artwork produced is outstanding and vast.

This one didn't influence my decision to buy it but I'm learning the usefulness of i more and more.
4) Adventure writing. No need to separately maintain adventure data about a map. I can define and describe rooms, populate treasure, drop in monsters and NPCs, List trap statistics and produce an adventure book for the map ready for my party. This leads to less stopping of the action to look up rules/stats/etc for something on the map.

5) Other tricks that paint programs can't do.
Besides things like the adventure writing here are some things that programs GIMP/CS2/PSP/Paint.NET can't do or don't cope with very well

• Texture/Object Sets - The ability to have random or quickly accessible manual selection of different textures/objects in a set
  • Objects - After stamping down an object it can easily be selected again and adjusted.
  • Memory Usage - I explored using paint programs to make maps before buying DJ and found that they either took up huge amounts of memory or just couldn't cope with maps the size DJ worked without crashing

There are others too but those are the main ones. In looking at Dundjinni in the time that I've used it, before becoming a moderator, I was amazed at what it could actually do and this is from a computer programming point of view. I have a natural tendency to look at an interesting program and think "How did they do that?" Playing around with graphics programs I could see what they could handle compared with Dundjinni.

Paint.Net couldn't even cope with a Dundjinni size image with more then 2 layers on my development machine. Professional programs like CS2 even started show their weaknesses grinding to halt on moderate maps soaking up gigs of memory while Dundjinni was coping much better using a fraction of the memory.

<< Prev Page of 19 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version