Dundjinni Logo Dundjinni Logo Dundjinni Logo

Forums

Active Topics  :  Memberlist  :  Search  :  Help  :  Register  :  Login
Help Dundjinni! Rate This Website at RPG Gateway

Questions
 Dundjinni Mapping Software - Forums : Questions
Subject Topic: Tutorial - Download and install user art Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
WayneFrancis
Janni (Moderator)
Janni (Moderator)

Posted: 05/07/2007 at 10:28pm | IP Logged Quote WayneFrancis

The first step to installing user created art is “where will this art live?”.

Dundjinni's default folder structure, under Windows, is the following

To make it easy let us start with just using the provided "User" folders.

You'll see 8 folders in the User folder. User art can be placed in one of these folders. Currently, if you have not download/installed any user art, these folders will only have 1 file in each of them name "~properties".

This "~properties" file tells dj what it can do with the artwork in the folder.

You can read about the different types in the Dundjinni documentation.

So if you saw a piece of art like

you can right click it and select "Save Image As..."
then navigate to the
c:\program files\fluid\dundjinni\Map\Fantasy\User\Object\
folder and save it.

TIP : before saving strip off the 4 character prefix that the forums adds to files before saving.

IE the file above is called "44F_KingBed_wef_c.png" you would rename it in the "Save Image" dialog box as "KingBed_wef_c.png" before clicking the "Save" button.

This file will now be useable in Dundjinni the next time you start it. IE if Dundjinni is running when you add the artwork then you won't be able to see the added artwork until you close and restart Dundjinni.

If an artist is providing many images often they will include them all in a .ZIP file. If this is the case feel free to download the .ZIP file to where ever you like then unzip it into one of the folders under the "User" folder. These files should not need the first 4 characters removed from their file name as the forum does not change file names inside a .zip folder.

If you see many files with only the last 2 characters before the file extension different and in the format of "-a" thru "-z" then these are images in a "Set" DJ will show only the first one of these images and you can access the rest via keys like <Ctrl> and right mouse click to cycle through them if they are an object or DJ will automatically randomly select from them in cases of walls and floors.

If you start downloading a lot of artwork you may want to create more folders to both organise your artwork better and keep Dundjinni working fast. When you make your own folders be sure you copy an appropriate "~properties" file from one of the other folders.

For example if I start downloading lots of beds I might choose to create a "Bed" folder under the "User" folder.
I would then copy the "~properties" file from the "Object" folder into the new "Bed" folder. All the artwork in this new folder would then be handled by DJ as normal Dundjinni objects. Another example might be something like me downloading a pack of trees some artist provided. Here I would create a "trees" folder and would use the "~properties" file from the "Cover" folder so that I can let DJ randomly select one of the trees from the set and randomly rotate it when I go to stamp it down.

Hope this helps.
Back to Top View WayneFrancis's Profile Search for other posts by WayneFrancis

Kepli
Djinni (Admin)
Djinni (Admin)

Posted: 05/07/2007 at 11:40pm | IP Logged Quote Kepli

dragonwolf
Legend
Legend

Posted: 05/09/2007 at 12:13am | IP Logged Quote dragonwolf

This is great WF. Another thing to remember is that under the map folder you must have folders three levels deep to where the files are placed. No more and no less. The folders also represent the Genre, Pack, and Type shown in the Map Items dialog.

Map\
Fantasy\    - 1
    User\     - 2
      Object\ - 3
        KingBed_wef_c.png

Free Advice: If you come into my cube and you have a Mountain Dew and I do not, that will be your unDewing.

Back to Top View dragonwolf's Profile Search for other posts by dragonwolf Visit dragonwolf's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version