Dundjinni Logo Dundjinni Logo Dundjinni Logo

Forums

Active Topics  :  Memberlist  :  Search  :  Help  :  Register  :  Login
Help Dundjinni! Rate This Website at RPG Gateway

Objects and Textures (Fantasy)
 Dundjinni Mapping Software - Forums : Objects and Textures (Fantasy)
Subject Topic: Inserting doors & windows Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
jnj7493
Hireling
Hireling

Posted: 07/17/2007 at 11:58am | IP Logged Quote jnj7493

I just started using the software (v 1.0.4) and I have a newbie question:
I'm trying to draw a tavern. When "stamping" down doors and windows, can't the door or window break the wall pattern? It appears to just float over the wall on an upper layer. So far, the only solution I've found is drawing the wall as little sections at time, leaving gaps where I expect to place doors and windows, and then going back and stamping those doors and windows in place. This is rather tedious, and I expected the software to be smart enough to break the walls as new doors and windows were added.
Back to Top View jnj7493's Profile Search for other posts by jnj7493

Kepli
Djinni (Admin)
Djinni (Admin)

Posted: 07/17/2007 at 12:18pm | IP Logged Quote Kepli

Welcome aboard jnj7493

One of the first community members, Tmaas, thought of this feature very early on and suggested it to the developers of DJ back then. Not sure if the feature was never added because they wanted to add it later, or they wanted to give the mappers the freedom to handle doors and windows as they please. Or perhaps it was never considered by the developers.
The feature was put on the design list for DJ2, but I am not sure it will make the cut, since so many other features seem much more important. It may be added at some point though

Personally, I would probably never use the feature, because I use all art in different ways, especially Walls But I do think it is a nice feature to have around ...

abttwo
Henchman
Henchman

Posted: 07/17/2007 at 1:04pm | IP Logged Quote abttwo

The way I do it is I draw the walls, and then use the wall eraser to erase the places where I insert doors/windows, and then put the doors/windows in the newly-created gaps. Then I put the floors in, and tehd doors and windows stop the floor textures from painting over one another. It's somewhat tedious but I think more efficient than drawing walls in little bits at a time.

Hope this helps.

-- mike
Back to Top View abttwo's Profile Search for other posts by abttwo

forumLurker
Legend
Legend

Posted: 07/17/2007 at 3:16pm | IP Logged Quote forumLurker

abttwo wrote:
The way I do it is I draw the walls, and then use the wall eraser to erase the places where I insert doors/windows, and then put the doors/windows in the newly-created gaps. Then I put the floors in, and tehd doors and windows stop the floor textures from painting over one another. It's somewhat tedious but I think more efficient than drawing walls in little bits at a time.

That's generally how I do it as well. Simple in concept, tedious in execution.

Does anyone else do it differently?
~lurker~

"Well, I'm the Forum Lurker. I'm not Sneak Man. I'm not Hidey Boy. I'm the Forum *Lurker*."
Back to Top View forumLurker's Profile Search for other posts by forumLurker

Dahgda
Hero
Hero

Posted: 07/17/2007 at 3:25pm | IP Logged Quote Dahgda

Also, with windows, wouldn't it look odd to have the floor go al lthe way to the window itself? I mean, there is a small "ledge" to windows, beause they do not actually drop all the way to the ground. I make the wall, then add in small, related but different material ledge, then stamp the windows on top of that. Makes it look more "realistic" I think.
Back to Top View Dahgda's Profile Search for other posts by Dahgda

Kepli
Djinni (Admin)
Djinni (Admin)

Posted: 07/18/2007 at 1:32am | IP Logged Quote Kepli

That's where stacking walls comes in Dahgda
Here is a sample:
Making a Stone Niche.Alcove

I used this on window sills too, but I cannot seem to find the samples

jnj7493
Hireling
Hireling

Posted: 07/18/2007 at 9:55am | IP Logged Quote jnj7493

Again, this sounds like a lot of extra work that could be worked into the next release (please!). Here's my suggestion:
1) The user draws the wall outline.
2) User inserts a door, window, archway, fireplace, etc.
3) The program breaks the wall and inserts the item, while still retaining the wall boundary so that a future "pour" of paint onto the floor surface recognizes the initial boundary and doesn't "leak" into adjacent rooms or outdoors.
4) The object inserted also sports some "grips" on the left and right so that the user could use them to stretch the door or window to a custom fit/location.
5) If the user uses the "arrow" selection tool to highlight the door or window and hits "delete", that item is erased and the wall sections are "glued" back together, eliminating all that custom erasing and keeps the intial boundary as earlier mentioned.

Maybe this would be too complicated and make it more of a CAD program, but it sure is wishful thinking!!
Back to Top View jnj7493's Profile Search for other posts by jnj7493

Eric of Ptolus
Legend
Legend

Posted: 07/23/2007 at 5:50am | IP Logged Quote Eric of Ptolus

My issue is the windows tend t blend in and are hard to see in the finished product.

I've had pretty good luck drawing my outer walls, then erasing where I want the windows to go and re-drawing the erased segments again in the "next thickness down" the list.

Back to Top View Eric of Ptolus's Profile Search for other posts by Eric of Ptolus Visit Eric of Ptolus's Homepage

Kepli
Djinni (Admin)
Djinni (Admin)

Posted: 07/23/2007 at 6:25am | IP Logged Quote Kepli

That's a pretty neat trick ... the wall is still there, but it doesn't interfere with the window

Eric of Ptolus
Legend
Legend

Posted: 07/23/2007 at 6:41am | IP Logged Quote Eric of Ptolus

Yup, Mark, exactly. And since the windows stamps are uniformly 5-ft or 10-ft wide, and since I habitually drop doors and walls on or exactly between Grid Vertices, erasing a 5-ft square of "Just Wall" is SIMPLE and I don't need to be too precise when drawing the thinner line ... if I draw the thinner segment too long ... since its the same wall pattern as the thick style I am "joining", it all blends together into one contiguous drawn wall.

When erasing for one of the 3-ft wide doors (I also do this for doors - not just windows), I have to be a little more precise in my erasing though.
Back to Top View Eric of Ptolus's Profile Search for other posts by Eric of Ptolus Visit Eric of Ptolus's Homepage

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version