Dundjinni Mapping Software - Forums : Dunjinneers Toolbox
Subject Topic: Tips, Help for free Daz Studio Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
ursus
Hero
Hero

Posted: 02/01/2008 at 4:54pm | IP Logged Quote ursus

So, I said to myself, "Hey, wouldn't it be great to get this free D|S software and make some top down figures to represent PC's in Battlegrounds?"

Then, I downloaded the software to find that it is indeed free, but most of the objects are not. I have found a few freebies, but I still need more clothing, props, etc. to make some decent figures. And, even if I want to buy content, I'm overwhelmed by the amount of stuff to look through.

I was wondering if someone could make a short list of essential content for creating fantasy genre figures.

Thanks in advance.

pedrov
Legend
Legend

Posted: 02/02/2008 at 2:21pm | IP Logged Quote pedrov

First, grab anything free that you can. There are many great packages available at DAZ: M3 is free, A3 is free, 3D Bridge Starter pack has tons of stuff, and of course there are other freebies as well. Oh yeah, the freebies at renderosity.com are also fantabulous! From the "choose an area to browse" pull-down menu, choose Poser or DAZ Studio. Also, look closely at the usage rights in the "details" link for each item. Most of them are straight forward, but some are sneak (e.g., stuff posted by adamthwaites). Either way, it's best to check the readme files in any zips you download.

The key to DAZ is to learn how to be a value shopper. I almost never buy anything that isn't on sale. The stuff that I do buy at full price is usually software of some sort (not always from DAZ, but always essential).

One of DAZ's biggest sales of the year is March Madness. Tons of items go on sale and it is a great time to join the platinum club. Kep and DW turned me on to the platinum club and, honestly, it is a fantastic buy if you're in to 3d art at all. My membership now costs me about $8 per month and at the beginning of each month, I get a $5 voucher to spend on stuff (i.e., about $3 per month). So many things are much cheaper as a PC member.

Probably the best purchases you could make from a fantasy perspective are the models: M3, V4 (notice the PC price), V3 is still worth getting and may be free from downloads.com; A3 is quite nice, SP3 is good, D3 is decent, The Freak is quite useful (but wait for him to hit a sale); H3 is very undersupported as are MilBaby, Matt & Maddie, and Luke & Laura.

For female clothing, the Morphing Fantasy Dress is a must (though you need to get the MFD for each female figure, the textures generally can be applied to all of them). For male and female figures, the Tunic and Cloak sets are great to have (again, must be purchased for each figure, but the textures are pretty flexible).

There are other nice clothing sets that have a lot of utility, but you can't go wrong with MFD, Tunics, and Cloaks. Learn with those until you have a better idea about what else you want. Usually, the value of a clothing set can be determined by looking at how many add-ons it has (there should be a link at DAZ for each clothing set) or how many free mods have been made available at sites like renderosity.

You should also watch the sales closely for the various "morphs" packs. Each figure has a morph pack that allows you to change the structure of their bodies and faces. For top-down rendering, this may not be a priority. But for portraits and advanced work, the morphs are a must.

Lighting and cameras are luxuries in my opinion. I can set up my own lights and create my own cameras, so I don't tend to buy such sets. Also, many things you buy and many things for free come with lights and cameras, so you can just build off of those.

Textures are nice, but you may not need them so much for top-down rendering. In addition, many textures sets can be used by other figures with only small amounts of tweaking.

Overall, I think the best approach is to get a PC membership, raid the PC items, and wait to reap in tons of models during the sales (I've got a nice 3-figure dollar amount waiting for the next big sale!).

Edited by pedrov on 02/02/2008 at 3:13pm

heruca
Janni (Moderator)
Janni (Moderator)

Posted: 02/02/2008 at 3:08pm | IP Logged Quote heruca

Great tips, Pedrov!

Digger
Legend
Legend

Posted: 02/02/2008 at 3:29pm | IP Logged Quote Digger

Its well worth getting cross dresser and the licences for the characters you use the most, a lot of the costumes I use were not designed for the figures they are on but converted with crossdresser.

You can also alter any clothing texture by using the surfaces tabs abd loading in materail texture, and when you feel more confident, using photoshop recreate the skins of a character like I did with a v4 skin which I used to create the sexy babe stuff I have in the lounge.

Edited by Digger on 02/02/2008 at 3:36pm

Digger
Legend
Legend

Posted: 02/04/2008 at 1:41am | IP Logged Quote Digger

This Pack is well worth getting

Daz Creature Creation Pack

pedrov
Legend
Legend

Posted: 02/07/2008 at 5:10am | IP Logged Quote pedrov

This is a list of free models, some of the links work and some don't, from poser pros. Free registration is required (they're a companion site to Daz3d).

It's worth investigating some of the response posts as well... and not all the sites are in japanese!

Edited by pedrov on 02/07/2008 at 5:36am

greytale
Djinni (Admin)
Djinni (Admin)

Posted: 02/07/2008 at 6:19am | IP Logged Quote greytale

Wow. I just found this thread. Thanks Pedrov.

Alynnalizza
Legend
Legend

Posted: 02/07/2008 at 6:50am | IP Logged Quote Alynnalizza

Here is a great list (albeit most are not free, but still great items)

Fantasy Poser/Daz Items

DeviantArt page
Back to Top View Alynnalizza's Profile Search for other posts by Alynnalizza Visit Alynnalizza's Homepage

ursus
Hero
Hero

Posted: 02/07/2008 at 7:28am | IP Logged Quote ursus

Thanks for the links pedrov.

Digger
Legend
Legend

Posted: 02/08/2008 at 4:41am | IP Logged Quote Digger

Some free Poser Props and Outfits.

Free Stuff

Some more free stuff Here