Dundjinni Mapping Software - Forums : Dunjinneers Toolbox
Subject Topic: Tips, Help for free Daz Studio Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
pedrov
Legend
Legend

Posted: 02/19/2008 at 6:21pm | IP Logged Quote pedrov

Customizing Textures in D|S - The Crude Approach!
Please note that this will not produce good results on body textures as the head and body often use different texture scales and seams are more noticeable!

I take a very crude approach to texturing. Most base clothes you buy for a model (e.g., M3 Tunic Pack) come with either a template (for example, on the DAZ web page for the M3 Tunic Pack you can find a download for the template in the "Resources and Information" panel called "Win file ps_ac555_M3tunicT.exe (0.50 Mb)."

In addition, many models or clothing sets come with a texture for applying to models (often a jpg or bmp).

Because most texture packs restrict me from posting them in a form that can be readily downloaded by anyone, I'll work from a template for this example.

Below is reduced version of the free template from the M3 Tunic Pack:

I loaded this in photoshop, duplicated the layer so I was working with a background rather than a layer, hid the background so that any deletions would result in transparency, selected the white space with the magic wand, inverted the selection, and deleted the outlines of the tunic parts (see below, with RED substituted for the TRANSPARENT, so you can see the difference from the DJ website's default white background).

Next, I created a new layer, below the transparent clothing-outline layer, with a tiled texture I created in genetica:

With the transparent clothing outline in the layer above, I could create a texture like this:

Now, I load up D|S, clothe M3 with the DAZ tunic, select Tunic M3 in the surfaces tab so that every component of the tunic is highlighted (belt, collar, handles, sleeves, & tunic... though I could have ignored handles!), and change the Lighting Model to Matte:

Then, still in the surfaces tab and with every component selected, I change the Diffuse Color to WHITE (or, whatever color you prefer) and I select my new jpg texture/template from the pull down menu just below:

If I was really ambitious (and had more time), I could also add a transmap to change the visible features of the tunic (e.g., making it a short-sleeved v-neck)... but that will have to wait for another tutorial.

Perhaps Digger can post a tutorial on updating the pz2 files to find the new textures.

Edited by pedrov on 02/23/2008 at 8:09am

Gunmage Krys
Hero
Hero

Posted: 02/19/2008 at 6:23pm | IP Logged Quote Gunmage Krys

pedrov wrote:
In response to frequent questions on this topic, I decided to start a FAQ thread for D|S (Daz Studio). I hope this is the correct place for such a thing ("Tips" seemed dominated by DJ software tips). I am definitely not the only D|S user here (and certainly not the best), so please feel free to add tips as you come across them. Also, it would be nice to avoid directly duplicating things found on DAZ's forums. If you find something useful there, a link to it would be better.

[edit] Tips was obviously the right place! I knew it all along!

Many thanks Pedrov. I'm just starting out using DAZ and setting my library up for the second time. First time was a novice goof, nuff said. My drives are set up in nearly the same way - small but fast (Raptor) C:/ drive, and large slower drive D:/.

I hope to implement your file structure in the next couple weeks. I'm (still) migrating from my laptop to Monster Desktop. If I have questions, I'll post them.

Again, Thank You!

Gunmage Krys
Back to Top View Gunmage Krys's Profile Search for other posts by Gunmage Krys Visit Gunmage Krys's Homepage

pedrov
Legend
Legend

Posted: 02/19/2008 at 6:25pm | IP Logged Quote pedrov

Best-o-luck Gunmage! I think we nearly cross-posted a moment ago. Please let me know if you need any help with the file structure.

ursus
Hero
Hero

Posted: 02/21/2008 at 9:02am | IP Logged Quote ursus

pedrov wrote:
Perhaps Digger can post a tutorial on updating the pp2 files to find the new textures.

I was able to follow your approach to modifying the texture, pedrov.

Now, I don't know what to do to get DS to recognize it.

pedrov
Legend
Legend

Posted: 02/21/2008 at 9:15am | IP Logged Quote pedrov

ursus wrote:
pedrov wrote:
Perhaps Digger can post a tutorial on updating the pp2 files to find the new textures.

I was able to follow your approach to modifying the texture, pedrov.

Now, I don't know what to do to get DS to recognize it.

Does this part help?
pedrov wrote:
Then, still in the surfaces tab and with every component selected, I change the Diffuse Color to WHITE (or, whatever color you prefer) and I select my new jpg texture/template from the pull down menu just below

Or are you talking specifically about loading the texture directly in the D|S interface (i.e., modifying the *.pz2 file)?

If you're talking about the latter, it's probably best to open up an existing pz2 file (use a text editor... editpad lite is nice, and free!... wordpad and notepad do screwy things with formatting, and formatting matters for these files) that makes use of external texture files (usually *.jpg) and follow the logic. I'm sure there are a ton of free textures for the tunic (e.g.) at renderosity that would be set up appropriately. Then it's a matter of renaming the files and their locations that you want to use throughout the file.

Sorry if this isn't clear. I haven't done it personally (I think finding the specific texture is easy enough), but I think I understand the principles. Perhaps digger will take some time to put a tut together on this but, if not, I'll get to it soon.

Edited by pedrov on 02/21/2008 at 9:30am

ursus
Hero
Hero

Posted: 02/21/2008 at 12:07pm | IP Logged Quote ursus

Yeah, I'm talking about loading the new texture into DAZ Studio.

I'll try editing one of those files tonight and see if I can make sense of it. Thanks.

Digger
Legend
Legend

Posted: 02/21/2008 at 12:20pm | IP Logged Quote Digger

Ok open the pz2 file of the original suit of clothing that you have altered with wordpad.

The bits that point to your file look like this;

textureMap ":Runtime:textures:!!!Digger:B Teeth.jpg"

This tells the pz2 where to look, for example this points to the folder runtime/textures/!!!Digger
and to the file B Teeth.jpg.

You need to look through all the instances of textureMap and alter them to the parts of the outfit you have changed.

Finally save the Pz2 in the name of your new outfit and save it in a runtime/libraries/pose folder that you have named your self and include in the folder a 120x120 .png image of your new outfit, this will make an icon for you to double click on to load the outfit.
The .png file must have exacly the same name as the re-saved pz2 except for the .png extension.

You need to keep the file names for the new jpeg's reasonable short as pz2 has a limit on name length.

Any Questions?

I worked all that out by myself hacking through the programe, I love taking things apart to see how they work, which is why my wife wont let me buy a scalpel.

I have just been invited to join a group of people who are now making new figures and items for Poser/Daz the first products should be available soon.

We have a good tutorials link page that you may find useful.

Tutorials Link

Edited by Digger on 02/21/2008 at 12:42pm

ursus
Hero
Hero

Posted: 02/21/2008 at 1:06pm | IP Logged Quote ursus

Thanks Digger. That helps a lot.

And a bonus tutorials link is always nice.

Digger
Legend
Legend

Posted: 02/21/2008 at 1:20pm | IP Logged Quote Digger

Your welcome Ursus, and when your happy with that bit we will talk about bump mapping the items.

Digger
Legend
Legend

Posted: 02/26/2008 at 6:37am | IP Logged Quote Digger

Free at daz today

Daz Wedding

<< Prev Page of 6 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version